EFL Cup: Arsenal vs Nottingham Forest |Tuesday 24th September | KO 19:45 | Streams

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by Rex Banter, Sep 22, 2019.

?

What will the result be

Poll closed Sep 24, 2019.
  1. Arsenal go through in 90 minutes

65.6%
  2. Arsenal go through in 120 mins or pens

6.6%
  3. Forest go through in 90 minutes

6.6%
  4. Arsenal go through in 120 mins or pens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OnlyOne shouldn’t be a Mod

6.6%
  6. OnlyOne should never be a Mod

14.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex Banter

Rex Banter YNWA Trusted

The second of our three consecutive games against former English champions of Europe sees us play the once mighty Nottingham Forest.

Tbf to them they’ve only lost once this year and look like they could make a real go at promotion this year to the PL.

They have pulled off some impressive results against Swansea, Leeds and Fulham as well as trouncing Derby in the earlier round of this tournament.

They’re managed by early 2000’s Parma player Sabri Lamouchi. Keep an eye out for young CB Joe Worrall who could be playing in the PL before as well as our very own banter boy Carl Jenkinson.

As for our team I’d go:
    Emi
    Mustafi - Holding - Medley - Bola
    Willock - Xhaka
    Özil
    Nelson - Martinelli - Saka

Everyone who isn’t starting would ideally play at Old Trafford, with one out of Saka and Nelson as well.

I think we’re going to be stuck with Sokratis and David Luiz there so give Holding some intro minutes here.

I’d play Mavrapanos, Tierney and Bellerin if they’re obviously fit enough for a first team game.

2. rich 1990

rich 1990 Loves the A-M Mods

No extra time in this, it goes straight to pens.

Rex Banter likes this.
  3. Rex Banter

Rex Banter YNWA Trusted

Ah didn’t know that, probably a good thing for our squad fitness if it came to that.

4. rich 1990

Someone might get a poll right in a match thread one of these days.

Rex Banter likes this.
  5. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

Not need to spend energy on this dumb competition.

Play Arsenal Ladies B team.

black187 likes this.
  6. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Short man Syndrome

State of that poll. :lol:

7. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Medley is recovering from injury IIRC. Doubtful he plays - more likely that Chambers starts again IMO. Not sure if Bola has returned from his knock either. Could be Kola again.

I think Smith-Rowe will probably get a start in this game. Probably in place of Saka - hes started 2 games in the last week so he can probably afford to come off the bench at most. I'd gear Saka up for United if I'm honest.

I think we could see John-Jules upfront - or at least I hope anyway. Nelson should be a lock to start and I hope he finally gets his season underway properly. He needs to start producing or hes gonna be in trouble. A player of his talent needs to believe in himself and make more of an impact. I'm not prepared in any event to write him off - I see a huge player here.

Additionally, it would be nice to see what Martinelli can bring to the table if he plays. I was impressed by his endeavor in preseason and seems like he has the kind of character needed for a forward role here. Perhaps more wide forward than CF for me but I like him.

8. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Martinez
    Chambers - Piece of **** - Another piece of **** - Tierney
    Torreira - Willock - Özil
    Nelson - John-Jules - Saka

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    krackpot likes this.
  9. Pepes blue pill

Pepes blue pill Well-Known Member

Big test against champs league elite

10. Rex Banter

Rex Banter YNWA Trusted

I saw Bola made the bench for the U23s so maybe he could play or is it unlikely?

My problem is that I worry Bellerin will have his first game back in almost a year at Old Trafford with only 60 minutes of football in an U23 game under his belt, so I think Calum will have to play RB there next Monday.

Also yeah forgot about ESR tbh although Saka only played a bit today and I like the idea of him and Nelson duking it out for a starting place vs Utd even though we all know it’s gonna be 4-4-2 with Auba and Pepe up front and four 6’s across the middle.

MutableEarth likes this.
  11. Pepes blue pill

Martinez, nelson, smith rowe, willock, martinelli with Özil :bounce::bounce:

bellerin and tierney fb, chambers and holding in the middle

12. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

It's tough to predict Emerys lineups but I think it will be close to this:

Martinez
    Mustafi Mavropanos Holding Kolasinac
    Torreira Willock
    Nelson Özil Smith-Rowe
    John-Jules/Martinelli
    RE center backs, I wouldnt rule out Harry Clarke getting called up. Hes been our strongest defender at youth level and looks really impressive so far.

I worry about that too, I'm just not sure we have enough bodies in the full back positions to rotate that much for Tuesday. We could see Bola if he is fit. Bola is alright going forward and a strong athlete. RB is trickier.

Smith-Rowe should start. I doubt anyone who started v Villa will start this game. I'd be surprised. Saka has played a decent bit of football over the last few days. Wouldnt want to stretch him too much.

krackpot, Iceman10 and Rex Banter like this.
  13. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

Martinez
    Chambers - Mustafi - Mavropanos - Tierney/Bola
    Willock - Özil - Burton
    Nelson - John Jules - Smith Rowe

If Bellerin is fit I'd have him as RB and Chambers as CB.

14. Rex Banter

Rex Banter YNWA Trusted

As much as we hate to see it but with AMN’s injury and Chambers our only fit RB I think we’re going to have to bite the bullet and play Mustafi out there.

Emery’s done it before and I wouldn’t be against it here. Even if he does f*ck up it’s Forest ffs.

15. rich 1990

He's still not corrected his mistake, ffs.

OnlyOne likes this.
  16. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Any chance of Bellers and Tierney playing?

17. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Wait a minute. Did they put United - Arsenal on Monday?

Rex Banter likes this.
  18. rich 1990

Yes, even though we have the Europa three days later.

Rex Banter likes this.
  19. Rex Banter

Rex Banter YNWA Trusted

Same problem next month. We play Sheffield Utd away on a Monday three days before we play against Vitoria.

Combine that with our banter fixture list in December and it’s clear we’re getting no help in the scheduling department.

20. Pepes blue pill

Martinez

Bellerin Chambers Holding Tierney

Torreira Willock

Nelson Özil Smith-Rowe

Martinelli

That line up will have me excited

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.