Emi Martinez: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 9, 2019.

1. samshere

samshere Why so serieuse?

Yeah, he must feel right at home facing 30 shots a game. Its like he never left Reading.

2. dbig

dbig Active Member

At least it'll keep him sharp and focus throughout.

Remember reading somewhere that goalkeepers from top teams sometimes make mistakes because they zone out due to lack of action. That would explain why we used to let in so many goals with just 1-2 shots on target. :lol:

Ewarwoowar and samshere like this.
  3. Wengysaurus

Wengysaurus Well-Known Member

Great commanding performance, very noticeable. If he can consistently perform like that he should be number 1.

4. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

To think we had a Chelsea employee play in goal for us in the final when we had such a fine looking goalkeeper is criminal. We should have used Emi as our cup goalkeeper last season.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  5. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Impressed me. Kept us in it on a couple of occasions. Not the best keeper but I am not unhappy about this lad and I think he likes it here.

6. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

The loan made him tbf, his development skyrocketed playing for Reading.

If he was hanging about as third choice he’d have been out the door this summer I reckon.

Jasard likes this.
  7. samshere

So you're saying having the team face 30 shots a game is actually a well planned strategy by Emery? Whoda thought?

8. dbig

dbig Active Member

The man's a genius. Now we face 31 shots on goals and only 2 go in. Used to be 2 for 2.

samshere likes this.
  9. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

:lol: This gave me a chuckle this morning but it's somewhat true. He said in his post match interview that he feels much less pressure in the Arsenal goal now compared to fighting relegation for Reading where every save counts and it's a real fight for clean sheets and survival. It's normal enough for him now that he knows what it takes to have to fight for a win. That's invaluable experience.

It definitely lends credence to the idea of doing more loans. Just making sure they're the right team and the experience gained to be sufficient. Nketiah going to Leeds is a perfect loan spell and I dont regret us sending him there even with Lacas injury. Leeds promotion hopes could live and die on his goals at the end of the day. If Bamford doesn't turn up, Nketiah is the perfect person to have.

Martinez going to Reading may have given him a real pathway to success at Arsenal, even with a resurgent Bernd Leno in front of him.

10. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

"

Jury, Impact, pigge and 6 others like this.
  11. Manberg

Manberg Predator

It was a good performance but I didn't see him do anything Leno can't do. Let's not go overboard.

12. samshere

He commanded the area better than Leno and had better distribution. Leno is an equal shot stopper though. I can see Martinez overtake Leno as No.1 by next year.

Ewarwoowar and Jury like this.
  13. Jackie_Treehorn

Jackie_Treehorn Well-Known Member

After his performance Thursday, this post looks prophetic. He made a save, in the 2nd I believe, lunging to his side and eating the rebound up. I caught myself thinking Leno probably would’ve spilled it for a tap-in. Emi is looking great.

Rex Banter likes this.
  14. 9jagooner

9jagooner Well-Known Member

Emi proves my point that going on loan can be so much better than sitting on the bench waiting for the odd game. He has greatly improved. I remember the 7-5 win against Reading some years ago where he conceded some awful goals. He's grown in leaps and bounds. Reading fans loved him last season.

We need to be careful though. He was fantastic for Reading but when he made mistakes which were far in between, they were really bad ones. Just thought I'd say that knowing how we pounce on players mistakes on this forum

krengon, Rex Banter and samshere like this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Anti-Ornstein

[​IMG]

Martínez has been named in the Argentina squad for their games next month. Chance to make debut in senior squad. Deserved.

Jackie_Treehorn likes this.
  16. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Happy for him.. Really rooting for him to be #1 here.

Raicore likes this.
  17. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Must be so Hard to be a keeper. If the no1 doesnt make mistakes ur never gonna get a chance really. Cant really sub in gks

Jury likes this.
  18. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

He has to be in the reckoning soon. I'd be trying to keep my nerves in check if I were Leno. He could be one high profile slip away from a mysterious injury...

19. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Keeping upbeat must be very hard when you know you've got what it takes and you're No.2. Requires a completely different way of how you plan your career, I suspect.

pigge likes this.
  20. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Yeah, 27, 70 matches played. White unreal tbh.