• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emile Smith Rowe: Big Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
With his inclusion into the Singapore squad it's clear he's in Emery's first team plans, and he most definitely deserves it. He looks an all-action, modern attacker, and I'm a big fan. He's more interesting than the likes of Nketiah and Nelson imo.

Here are his highlights in the game against Atletico:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Has been an interesting talent for a few years now. Rose to the U18s team at 15 as a tall, technical winger with good pace. Not necessarily super flashy but really comfy in possession and good ball-striking. I thought back then that he could have made a good #9 in fact, with his build and style of play. He showed his talents on a number of occasions at this point, scoring crucial goals (some really neat finishes) in the process.

However, the following season he was still only on the fringes of the U23 team while easily impressing for the U18s both out wide and in a slightly newer #10 role. The likes of Amaechi and Saka were looking like surer bets for the wing positions despite being younger. And in the U23 setup, Nelson, Dragomir, Jeff and DaSilva were the regulars he needed to displace. The turning point for me was a game I watched on facebook live between Arsenal U23 and Sunderland U23, with Smith-Rowe playing an unfamiliar role as a #8 in place of Willock who had been called up to the first team. It's the game where he scored this now infamous goal:

But this goal was not the only impressive thing about this performance. He was pure 360 in this role. Secure in tight spaces, threatening in open ones, playing a neat range of passes and showing great dribbling ability. On top of that, he showed a real robustness to compete in the absence of the normally uber-competitive (at this level anyway) Joe Willock.

Since that game, he's taken his game from strength to strength, particularly in the Youth Cup where he scored crucial goals, dictated the flow of the games and showed himself to be technically superior to even his talented teammates. A handful of players showed the kind of technical poise that he did.

It remains to be seen how far Smith-Rowe could excel. He's had an encouraging pre-season so far, but he showed himself to be a force to be reckoned with when he impressed in the Youth Cup Final in both legs against Chelsea, proving to be the main source of our attack along with Xavier Amaechi. He's dangerous as a wide playmaker but since his switch to AM/CM, he's become a considerably bigger threat. He has the ideal combination of having good physical traits (tall but relatively limber and agile) and being almost perfect technically, as well as being smart. Like a few of our young prospects, he could be as good as he wants to be.

For now, let's see how much better he can get next season. I don't expect more than a few EL/CC appearances. If he really impresses in those, he might feature in the PL. There's opportunities there.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Looking like one of our best players so far, only 17,?! Big if true, Yuge potential.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It has only been one game, but this kid plays like Kevin De Bruyen. (Not in any way saying he is close to KDB's level, but they have similar playing sytles.) It'll be interesting to watch his development this year.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It has only been one game, but this kid plays like Kevin De Bruyen. (Not in any way saying he is close to KDB's level, but they have similar playing sytles.) It'll be interesting to watch his development this year.
I've been thinking about it and while they definitely have a similar gait, I'm not sure he plays exactly like him. There are similarities, particularly with their ball-striking but in possession, he moves a lot more fluidly. Kinda like Kovacic.

Smith-Rowe will be Smith-Rowe. When I compared him to DeBruyne I just saw few similar trades to them, then he was playing on the wing but I was sure he could go far in the midfield too.

The best players will become their own players but it is nice to read that Smith-Rowe him self is trying to learn grom DeBruyne.

baccy_man

Established Member
I saw part of the game this afternoon and the goal that he scored was great the sort of goal you would expect from someone with more experience, his future looks good.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
With his inclusion into the Singapore squad it's clear he's in Emery's first team plans, and he most definitely deserves it. He looks an all-action, modern attacker, and I'm a big fan. He's more interesting than the likes of Nketiah and Nelson imo.

Here are his highlights in the game against Atletico:

Love how this commentator felt he had to switch to Portuguese to describe the beauty of the goal.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've been thinking about it and while they definitely have a similar gait, I'm not sure he plays exactly like him. There are similarities, particularly with their ball-striking but in possession, he moves a lot more fluidly. Kinda like Kovacic.

Yeah, I kind of felt crazy saying that he plays similarly to KDB, but appears to have better technique and dribbling, so I left off that part.

Overall, he looks to have the size, engine, and technique to play anywhere in midfield. In the center, he can play AM and CM without much of a problem and his ability to quickly transition from defense to attack is similar to KDB. He also strikes the ball really well.

He'll mature and become his own player, but he seems to have similarities to top players already, and that's a good sign.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
For 17 years old against a good side like A.Madrid he look great apart from some sloppy passing but he done really well emery seem very big fan of Smith

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Whether it’s this season or the next I hope we have a plan to intergrate him and any other rising stars. In recent years we seemed to have developed a habit of calling u23 players up and never giving them minutes, instead opting for senior fringe players.

GunnerUK

I’ll be honest - Never heard of him until that goal went viral. Rather not get hyped over a good strike against Atletico Madrid but haven’t seen anything of him to make statements like his not ready, or will struggle to get into the first team.

I can’t recall seeing him play in preseason games under Wenger so if Emery has found a diamond in the rock he deserves full credit.

Looking forward to seeing more of him..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom