• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who’s buying a keeper who has sat on the bench for most of the season for £30m? These scenarios sound great on paper but the reality is they’ll never happen.
Most teams already know what Leno offers and his worth too. By mid-season when most teams' finances have improved, I am sure some would be willing to spend that kind of money on proven quality. Chelsea, for example, don't have a good keeper and if that continues to be apparent into the season, I don't see how they wouldn't bid upwards of 30m.

Martinez offers more calm to the back-four and has an edge over Leno in almost all attributes. You can argue that he's been doing it for just a handful of games and you are right. But he could be different, he could be like Vardy who wasn't much before in his career but ended up playing for England and right now all the signs point to towards that.

I know we are cash-strapped but in a market where top keepers go for 60m plus, it would be absolutely atrocious to sell a very good keeper for 20m. If it had been 30-40m I'd be tempted but 20m, c'mon guys!

We keep going on about wanting to go the Liverpool way but we keep undervaluing our players. With our 'stingy' owner, how do we push on and become like them, huh?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Hull is f*cking rank, up there with Middlesborough.

Still can't believe Victor Valdes went from living in sunny Barcelona to living in a full on dump in Middlesborough.

How they sold it to him I'll never know.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
How they sold it to him I'll never know.

Wasn't it just because his mate was the manager at the time?

Morale of the story, don't trust any friends who want you to go to Middlesbrough.

Just looked it up on wiki, found this...

"On 22 October 2016, Valdés kept his first ever clean sheet at Middlesbrough with a 0–0 draw against Arsenal"

...of-****ing-course :lol:

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
My least favourite Arsenal player ever tbh, the guy was just a liability. Then he went and dyed his hair platinum blonde like he wasn't bad enough already.

q3NDkxWx_400x400.jpg

tenor.gif

Malky

Established Member
At this moment it feels like it. Why sell the keeper who has shown the higher level?
He hasn't shown anything, FFS, he's been in the team for 10 games.. TEN. He's also had the luxury of playing in empty stadiums where there will be zero pressure, he's not getting the ball played back to him with 50'000 fans screaming abuse at him.
He also claims to love the club yet has told Arteta to make him first choice or he's leaving.. why's he so afraid to stay and fight for his place and earn it like everyone else? I don't give a **** about this " He's waited 10 years for a chance " bullshit, either, no other player is demanding assurances that they'll be in the team every week, for me that's such a losers mentality.
I see people keep bringing up his loan spell at Reading to try and back up their claims he's always been some elite keeper - what about his spell at Wolves when they were in the Championship? He got dropped and spent the rest of his time there on the bench.
Before the injury to Leno he was never convincing when he was given the chance during cup games - when he conceeded 5 against Liverpool, for example, people on here were slatting the **** out of him and there were comments going around like " with Leno in goal you feel certain he would of saved 2-3 of those shots, comfortably " Now Martinez is the best keeper we've ever had after 10 games in the team :rolleyes:

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Almunia and Giroud were Wenger’s two biggest mistakes player wise.

Absolute wankers.
Giroud played an important role in the cup final wins. Wenger actually wanted to make podolski as a direct replacement for rvp and giroud as a plan b. Unfortunately podolskis despite having all the attributes to be an amazing CF was really thick and didn't put in the effort to learn how to play the cf position like rvp. Barely saw him make a run, would just stand around to receive the ball.

This led to giroud becoming our main CF. But he shouldn't have ever been.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Giroud's my most hated I think. Couldn't stand the bloke and year on year he got worse to the point where I celebrated when he missed.

People on AM genuine act like hes was some top top striker for us.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

BTW I will laugh every time Leno gift a ball at set pieces and remember you how shiit he is in the air. And even more if his knee gets injured again after keeping the goalkeeper with a recently keen injury.

We got some great fans. :facepalm:

Btw. According to Transfermarkt Leno has missed 15 games in his whole career and 11 of those were for Arsenal last season. That's why he has almost ~300 top level league games already.

Last edited:

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Giroud's my most hated I think. Couldn't stand the bloke and year on year he got worse to the point where I celebrated when he missed.
I thought I was the only mentally unstable individual felt like this. I also loved it when he'd get injured.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Almunia's form never improved. He spent 2 season in the championship (a literal level down) and then retired due to a hear condition.

Did well for Watford though. Still not a great keeper by any means but better than the absolute joke he was at Arsenal.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Did well for Watford though. Still not a great keeper by any means but better than the absolute joke he was at Arsenal.
I suppose you have a point. But I personally just attribute that more to the fact the championship was more his level while with us he was getting exposed in the PL and CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom