• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I think one of the problems is Emi's contract runs out in two seasons. Bernd's contract runs out the year later. If we don't make the decision as to which gk we keep in the next 1/2 years, neither of them will renew.

That could mean we have to sell one for less than market value. Or even worse, lose one of them on a free. IMO if Emi is still playing like he is now come January we sell him whilst he has a high market valuation and re-invest in other parts of the squad.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think one of the problems is Emi's contract runs out in two seasons. Bernd's contract runs out the year later. If we don't make the decision as to which gk we keep in the next 1/2 years, neither of them will renew.

That could mean we have to sell one for less than market value. Or even worse, lose one of them on a free. IMO if Emi is still playing like he is now come January we sell him whilst he has a high market valuation and re-invest in other parts of the squad.

Surely if he is playing the same come Jan we give him a new contract, not sell him!

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I'd still pick Leno over Emi just because he's been doing it consistently in Germany and here. I don't know if Emi can maintain that form for a longer period of time.

The exaggeration here is typical after someone puts together a number of good performances.

D

Dial Square 1886

I'd still pick Leno over Emi just because he's been doing it consistently in Germany and here. I don't know if Emi can maintain that form for a longer period of time.

The exaggeration here is typical after someone puts together a number of good performances.

I have been impressed.

However, my concern would be that we go all in on him and then he bottles it as an outright number 1 and we end up looking a bit silly for having ditched Leno!

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Surely if he is playing the same come Jan we give him a new contract, not sell him!

Neither of them will sign a new contract without being assured of being No. 1.

I think Emi should be sold at that point becuase he'll be more attractive to a prospective buyer. If he makes it to January on great form a prospective buyer will see:

1. relatively young keeper
2. playing for a club with CL ambition (lol)
3. Low wages (very important)
4. Around 1 season of performing in a high pressure/high expectation environment.

Bernd on the other hand has much higher wages than Emi. Also other clubs don't know how the injury will have effected Bernd,. I think we'd struggle to sell Bernd if we try to move him on either this or next transfer window. Selling Emi asap is the best financial decision imo. His valuation will never be higher than it is right now or in January.

Honestly I'd be happy if we kept either of them, they're both quality. But we should definitely sell one asap.

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I have been impressed.

However, my concern would be that we go all in on him and then he bottles it as an outright number 1 and we end up looking a bit silly for having ditched Leno!
I've been impressed too, but there's no telling if he's matured and entered his peak or he just had a good run of form.

You want to see if it's the real deal and that means playing him over Leno for a while, which might not be something Leno wants to accept.

Or we play both every other day, like Wenger did at some point with Helmet and Ospina.

It's not exactly a great idea, but at least you get a better picture of what choice you're left with during a transfer window.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Neither of them will sign a new contract without being assured of being No. 1.

I think Emi should be sold at that point becuase he'll be more attractive to a prospective buyer. If he makes it to January on great form a prospective buyer will see:

1. relatively young keeper
2. playing for a club with CL ambition (lol)
3. Low wages (very important)
4. Around 1 season of performing in a high pressure/high expectation environment.

Bernd on the other hand has much higher wages than Emi. Also other clubs don't know how the injury will have effected Bernd,. I think we'd struggle to sell Bernd if we try to move him on either this or next transfer window. Selling Emi asap is the best financial decision imo. His valuation will never be higher than it is right now or in January.

Honestly I'd be happy if we kept either of them, they're both quality. But we should definitely sell one asap.

Martinez is our No1, he's played enough games to show he offers more then Leno, you dont just have a run of good form as a keeper, that's why we should extend his contract. Leno can wait patiently like Martinez did or leave! Anyway, its a nice problem to have, for now we keep them both.

ClubLevel

I said this last week but until Martinez is doing it week in, week out in front of actual crowds then Leno is still number one. The mental side is important in a goalkeeper and its no coincidence Martinez has upped his game since games were played in a beyond closed doors environment, lets see how he gets on when we go to the likes of Villa Park or Elland road with the fans on top of him.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Start with him as first choice in PL and give the Cups and Europe to Leno and hope Emi isn't the new Alex Manninger - I suspect many here are too young to remember him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom