• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal FC vs Man. City FC - Mon. Dec. 21st, 8:00pm - SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I thought man city had the better of the first half but we were more clinical with our chances. In the second we were all over them creating numerous chances we should have taken up to the point Özil went off and the City starting to control it at the end making for a nervous finish.

Özil, Mertesaker, Bellerin, Kos and Walcott all had good games.

The weak link was Ramsey whose positional awarness (caught out of position defensively numerous times on a City attack as well as not pressing in City's half when he should of) was so poor in the first half and topped with sloppy passing it was shades of Diaby (the biggest insult you can give to a footballer). In the second half Ramsey positional awareness approved (despite being at fault for the Toure goal) but he missed numerous of chances to put the game to bed.

Anyway great result, prior to this match though I was more worried about how we would fair against Southampton next week than City tonight as I was confident we would get the 3 points.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Season defining game, I really mean that. For the last 10 years we've all seen us bottle the big/important games, this time we turned up.

Our players had the air of superiority and confidence about them, something which I haven't seen since the invincibles.

We're definitely favourites for the league now. Just need to keep Özil fit. If Ramesy/Cazrola are the Heart, Özil is the Blood that runs through the teams vains. The guy is just Majestic!

raag

Just woke up over here to the sun shining and the birds singing. Even mother nature is celebrating the win of class over cash.

On s serious note though, I'm buzzing. I don't want to say we're favourites for the title as a lot can happen within now and then. But imagine by February when we hopefully have jacky boy back along with Alexis

Özil would be a shoo in for player of the year If not for lecisters fantastic season

RUS arsenal

Established Member
What a game!!!!

Almost everybody turned up and were proper warriors out there, inspiring!

For me, among all the great performances one stood out the most this game. No, not Giroud (GDL forever! ;)), not Özil nor Theo but Per Mertesacker.

BFG didn't put a foot wrong whole game! Was an absolute wall at the heart of our defense. Saved at least 2 goals. Haven't seen him play this well in a long time. Ladies and Gents, the Big F***ing German is back! :cool:

RUS arsenal

Established Member
They pressed all through, but Navas coming on really changed the game for them. Silva was toothless, Navas a nuisance to our defence.
They pressed because we were happy defending while absolutely destroying them on the counter, should have been at least 4 or 5 up by the 65th minute. They got some momentum in the last 15 minutes or so after their goal but other than that we controlled the game.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Not to take anything away from our win, but we've never had much trouble against City at home to be honest, it seems Pelligrini's style suits Wenger's (just one loss in ten I read), regardless of our injury situation.

For me, the Southampton game has the biggest significance, we're yet to win there since they got promoted, in fact our record at St. Marys is quite poor as well. Win this, and go into January on a good run, and I just might think about our title chances. As of yet, I'm not fully convinced.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
They pressed because we were happy defending while absolutely destroying them on the counter, should have been at least 4 or 5 up by the 65th minute. They got some momentum in the last 15 minutes or so after their goal but other than that we controlled the game.

They were better in the first half of the 1st half, and they were better in second half of the 2nd half. Give credit where credit is due, it makes our win that much meaningful that it was against a good team playing its best.

Plutarch

Very happy after that win. I felt some frustration that we didn't score a third goal, we really should have, we had the chances. Not taking one of these chances meant we were always liable to come under pressure if they got it back to 2-1. That final ten minutes was nerve wracking. Apart from those final minutes though, I never felt we were seriously under pressure. There was no point where I thought we were going to lose the game.

Wilshere's Right

Few thoughts on last night.

Mertesacker was fantastic. A little suspect when De Bruyne went through on goal in the 1st half (should have been positioned higher up with the line) but that aside from that was excellent.

Koscielny was brilliant too and that clearance when Navas (?) was through was wicked.

Ramsey worked his socks off defensively and offensively and I'd say that was his best performance this season.

Monreal looked a little troubled at first, misplacing pass and giving away possession but grew into it. Just so used to him being nothing short of excellent it was a little nerving to see at the beginning.

Campbell was the same, started off poorly misplacing a lot but grew into it. Lovely pass to Ramsey who should have scored.

Bellerin defensively was great. Really tuning that part of his game. Will be the best right back in the league if he isn't already.

Great to see Theo and Giroud score.

Özil - wunderbar! Was all over the place, tackling, winning the ball back, getting us going and then assisting.

The only downside I noticed was the fans. When Toure scored that was the exact time you want the fans going crazy and signing. Except it wasn't. It was silent. We were 2-1 up against City and when the team needed the support the most the fans failed them.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
The only downside I noticed was the fans. When Toure scored that was the exact time you want the fans going crazy and signing. Except it wasn't. It was silent. We were 2-1 up against City and when the team needed the support the most the fans failed them.

Can't fully agree here.....the fans turned up again after that 2-1 I thought, in fact I thought the atmosphere was a bit better than midway through the second half, when everyone fell asleep.

That aside, it's no surprise for the supporters to be anxious after getting your lead cut down by 50% just ten minutes before the final whistle, it's only natural.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

With wins at home to United, Munich and City this season it's fair to say we are much better prepared, organised and capable than we have been in a long time.

We are prepared to sacrifice our normal game. Why we'e eventually decided to do so is largely irrelevant I'm just happy we are doing it.

General

Established Member
Defensively we have a solid setup no doubts about that and it took an exceptional goal to open us up.

Not sure why people criticise Yaya Toure for being lazy. He just doesn't have the engine to run the show for 90mins. A bit like his brother Kolo who was usually bolloxed after 60mins when we got rid of him. I'm annoyed some of players switched off and allowed him to come alive. De Bruyne is also doing very little to justify his big money move.

AbouDiabyMilitia

Holy **** Walcott's shot barely missed Özil. I wonder if Özil being in the way threw Hart off slightly, if at all. Amazing, Özil can see everywhere.
jblEZIp.jpg

KAB

The game changed when Özil substituted where Man City took full control of it. Anyway, most of our players played really well last night. Özil, Walcott, Giroud, Campbell, Ramsey and the rest of the team were all very focused, even Per was solid in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom