• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal v West Ham - 9/8/15, 13:30 - SS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Reminds me of Hull last season who threw the Europa League. Disappointing but ayeeee what can you do?

West Ham will be challenging the top 5 by next season remember boys, no way a team of their stature and quality are going down ;).

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
I could see Southampton giving the EL a real shot this season though. Pool & Sp**s will be fielding their B teams in that comp come October.

Koeman strikes me as the type of manager who'd love to have a go. That would be an admirable, refreshing attitude, but I don't think it'd be a sensible one. They will suffer for it in the domestic competitions, and a finish high up in the Premier League brings in so much more money than reaching the latter stages the Europa League now. You'd pretty much have to win the thing in order for it to be worthwile, and even then that's only because you get to play in the CL the season after.

The EL is just a garbage competition from an English POV, and if I were Bilic I'd probably have done the same thing.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You just know Cech is going to start making an immediate difference with some top saves.

Ideally we don't want him to be tested but at some point we'll all be smiling when he saves an effort that would have been a goal with our past keepers.
World class saves are standard, I've seen all our keepers do it, it's the bread and butter that I'm looking forward to. Commanding at set plays, not giving away penalties or allowing shots to spill into the Strikers path.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
World class saves are standard, I've seen all our keepers do it, it's the bread and butter that I'm looking forward to. Commanding at set plays, not giving away penalties or allowing shots to spill into the Strikers path.

Good point. We have had a number of keepers with happy feet who create problems on routine saves.

Cech just gives us a solidity at the back we haven't had since Seaman.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
After tonight's disaster Bilic will make his starting 11 show they're fully rested and start furiously. We should be ready for that. We should at least match their commitment and make sure we punish them if they make mistakes by being overeager.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

After tonight's disaster Bilic will make his starting 11 show they're fully rested and start furiously. We should be ready for that. We should at least match their commitment and make sure we punish them if they make mistakes by being overeager.

My girlfriend did that once...

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Wow, the baiting is strong in this thread. Keep it up lads.

You'll slaughter us. Anything else would be disappointing from your POV; new team trying to gel, new manager etc. Injuries to key players as well. Would be surprised if we don't get demolished.

Regarding the Europe League: Could not care less. We went out early as I'd hoped for and treated it like pre-season, which was the responsibly thing to do. We absolutely cannot afford to go down, and the EL would be massively disruptive to our season. None of you give a single flying **** about the EL until the semis/final anyway, so please stop this hypocritical **** some of you are spewing.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You'll slaughter us. Anything else would be disappointing from your POV; new team trying to gel, new manager etc. Injuries to key players as well. Would be surprised if we don't get demolished.

Regarding the Europe League: Could not care less. We went out early as I'd hoped for and treated it like pre-season, which was the responsibly thing to do. We absolutely cannot afford to go down, and the EL would be massively disruptive to our season. None of you give a single flying **** about the EL until the semis/final anyway, so please stop this hypocritical **** some of you are spewing.
I think the views espoused in England re the Europa League are reminiscent of the little Englander attitude. It is a European final, the winners the last few years have Been Sevilla and Chelsea. It is a guaranteed route into the Champions League, it's a chance for the fans to get around Europe and enjoy themselves, it's an opportunity for the players and managers to get a European medal and a cup in the cabinet.
I'd rather Arsenal win The Europa League over the repetitive last 16 finishes in the Champions League.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
I think the views espoused in England re the Europa League are reminiscent of the little Englander attitude. It is a European final, the winners the last few years have Been Sevilla and Chelsea. It is a guaranteed route into the Champions League, it's a chance for the fans to get around Europe and enjoy themselves, it's an opportunity for the players and managers to get a European medal and a cup in the cabinet.
I'd rather Arsenal win The Europa League over the repetitive last 16 finishes in the Champions League.
Tiny tiny clubs.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka

Um, excuse me. I also watch the Liverpool matches to see them make fools out of themselves, tyvm.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Your club is not in a relegation battle, which ostensibly becomes a battle for financial survival. I'd rather say **** it to a ridiculously taxing cup run (due to how we got the spot in the first place) and trade it for us building a stable platform that we could hopefully build upon and get into Europe the proper way. I have nothing against the Europa League per se, but the opportunity just presented itself at the worst possible moment. New manager, fragile squad, massive move on the horizon. We simply cannot afford to go down, at any cost.

There was very little to gain for us in the EL. The monetary reward is laughable unless you win it, and even doing so would mean that our players would have to play close to 70 games this season; or in other words, they'd have to play more games than Jack Wilshere has played in the last 2 years combined.

Most fans understand that we simply have to prioritize the league above a "feel-good" Europe run. That time will come, hopefully, but right now we have to be cynical in order to build the platform that will hopefully eventually take us on that journey when we can manage it.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

Talking about downplaying your team sigh. I don't understand it, do you feel better when you only lose 1-2 or something, where's your optimism ( I'm geniunely asking)?

I think we all know there won't be any demolishing from us it's the first game of the season and both teams will be highly motivated to impress. And not to mention we're just out of the pre-season, players are not yet at their maximum physically and mentally wise. I'll be happy with just a win I don't care how we do it, three points is all I care about at this stage of the season.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Talking about downplaying your team sigh. I don't understand it, do you feel better when you only lose 1-2 or something, where's your optimism ( I'm geniunely asking)?

I think we all know there won't be any demolishing from us it's the first game of the season and both teams will be highly motivated to impress. And not to mention we're just out of the pre-season, players are not yet at their maximum physically and mentally wise. I'll be happy with just a win I don't care how we do it, three points is all I care about at this stage of the season.

When you've followed West Ham for as many years as I have, you learn that optimism is the quickest way to soul-crushing disappointment.

Seriously though, you're Arsenal. You've looked immense in pre-season, arguably the most solidified team in the league in terms of cohesion etc. going up against an injury ridden West Ham with a new manager that has never managed in the Prem before. We can't even use our starting RB as he's your player, so ****ing Joey O'Woe is going up against Özil. I can literally feel my anus trying to seek shelter at the thought of it.

BobP

Memri Fan
I swear Wenger said that he had no problems with loaned players starting against their home club.

Hypocritical, though I suspect it may be league regulations.

Oh_Snap

. We can't even use our starting RB as he's your player, so ****ing Joey O'Woe is going up against Özil. I can literally feel my anus trying to seek shelter at the thought of it.

himZD0M.gif

Banks

Why on earth wont Southampton and koeman go for it in the Europa league and that's the only slim way of qualifying for the CL by winning it. As for West Ham I don't want them to go down and with also their switch to the Olympic stadium next season but I am sorry we need maximum points in this one because first game of the season, also at the Emirates and lastly a London Derby with the team rearing to go. I will go 3-1 to Arsenal

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Hope Weat Ham go down, wankers shouldn't take the EL spot if they don't want to win points for England in Europe, and ultimately for themselves.

Italy are breathing in the neck for that 4th CL spot, but we have **** clubs like Spuds and West Spam not taking Europe seriously. Unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom