• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL| Arsenal v Wolves (H), 15.00, 26/12

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

outlaw_member said:
I think Celestis mentioned that we need a goalscoring midfielder, but he also went on to say that the balance within the midfield was now right. So my question is, isn't our midfield now seemingly balanced partly in due to the fact that we no longer have a hungry midfielder constantly vacating his position in search for goals? I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't require goals from midfield, but the aggression with which any potential CAM looks for goals is also important.

Also, another point I wanted to address was in reference to Arteta making safe but offensive passes, which was a contrast to say Song's somewhat risky but offensive passes. In my opinion, the difference between Arteta and say Fabregas or even Wilshere, is that the former retains his position after completing a forward pass. Therefore, the possibility of the ball being lost does not make us vulnerable, as Arteta is still behind the ball in a defensive stance. This is a huge contrast to Fabregas and Wilshere, both of whom would not only make offensive passes, but also continue moving forward, thus making us vulnerable when we lost possession. This is a massive gripe I had against Fabregas, as he always continued running, even though he had just attempted a risky pass. Wilshere does the same thing, and the issue is that if the ball is lost, we now have one less midfielder behind the ball. Arteta on the other hand holds his ground, and it makes us that much more stronger defensively.

I think the one area where if we improve 5% these matches would not be such a struggle is the midfielder supporting the attack . Ramsey and Rosicky are very competent in a lot of ways but they just lack that little bit of magic to push us over the line when RVP is not firing .

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
AshburtonGhost said:
Bit rich to tear Wenger for not grabbing Bale, the guy was nigh on useless up until half way through 09-10 and was on the brink of being turfed.

Wenger signed Carl Jenkinson from Charlton Athletic.

/discussion

outlaw_member

Established Member
eye4goal said:
The game was crying out for an aggressive run from a full-back to break Wolves down. We are essentially playing with a man less the way our full-backs play. Djourou in particular was standing in no man's land most of the time and should have been subbed earlier.

Look at Rosicky almost inviting him to make the run but he doesnt see it

Gervinho needed to come wide time and again which reduced our presence in the box

Those pictures illustrate exactly why we have always struggled against deep lying defences. Look at the positioning of the Wolves team, not only is it incredibly deep, but it is also very compact and fortified in the central zones. Such opponents have almost their entire strength in the middle where it has numerous players in close vicinity. Now, what do you think happens if an opponent with centrally inclined players, and centrally focused passing patterns turns up against them? It results in the aggressive team attempting to ram through those very central areas with little passes and movements through near impossible angles. Now there is nothing wrong with this method, particularly if you have highly skilled attackers performing on a high wave length, but even then, an alternative method is most definitely required. Look at how much space is available out wide on the flanks. The entry to the club is down the side, and not through the middle. This is why offensive fullbacks and wide forwards who can provide width are a massive requirement for this side. Signing inside forwards who move centrally and like to create are only going to encourage the team to continue trying to break through the middle. Henry, Bergkamp and co. used to perform beautiful patterns through the middle, but they scored even more goals from the flanks.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
images

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Carl is marauding, for sure. Great athleticism and will bomb up and down all day. Fantastic crosser too, it seems. We'll see how this one pans out.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
One problem guys about this whole wide playing

even when the crosses come, we only got 1 player in the box
and usually the cross never made it to a dangerous area anyway either overhit or underhit

mistaT

Established Member
Airknight said:
Mertesacker vs Wolves

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58XEjzpTKY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58XEjzpTKY</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hennessey's save was unbelieveable....what a save :x

Anzac

Established Member
Rain Dance said:
One problem guys about this whole wide playing

even when the crosses come, we only got 1 player in the box
and usually the cross never made it to a dangerous area anyway either overhit or underhit

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Using width does NOT automatically mean you look to cross the ball.
It's NOT about using width to provide crosses in the air as per traditional wing play & British football.
Do exactly what Theo did to set RVP up for his 2nd the other week = stay wide, get to the byline, and then drive towards the are looking to either cut the ball back or drive a low cross into a crowded 6 yard area.

IMO one of our biggest issues in recent seasons is that we seldom look to get beyond the front of the area from wide - far too often we run infield or cross from level with the start of the area rather than the 6 yard box.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Anzac, that's why Gerv had to be kept on the other day. He was hit and miss, but wanted to commit defenders and get balls into the danger zone.

AOC will also do it in time, he will deliver I'm sure of it. Not sure why he was not used vs Wolves though.

Anzac

Established Member
fabo said:
Anzac, that's why Gerv had to be kept on the other day. He was hit and miss, but wanted to commit defenders and get balls into the danger zone.

AOC will also do it in time, he will deliver I'm sure of it. Not sure why he was not used vs Wolves though.

Agreed, and you touched on something we seldom do in the final 3rd = we don't hold our composure/patience long enough to force the defenders to commit.
We are too eager to pass or cross to keep the ball in motion & have forgotten the old 'draw & pass' routine.
This is why our passing around the front of the area achieves little - because the defenders don't need to move & just stay compact.
Too much of our attack in the final 3rd is about movement off the ball behind the defence to recieve a pass to feet.
Get to the byline to turn them & if you drive along the byline they MUST look to close you down.
Turn their depth & numbers against them inside their 6 yard area,
and have the CMs making runs from deep re Rambo's winner H v ManU last season.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Absolutely agreed, Anzac. It's amazing how little has been done to rectify this problem. Watch an old Invincible video and have a look at the number of times that Henry, Pires and Ljungberg would drive in behind the fullback and cut it back. Those of us that are familiar with Fifa will probably know that cut backs are the worst way to concede a goal, because it's such an easy method of scoring. Well, for once, this also holds true in real life.

I also agree that there is a general lack of composure in the final third amongst our attackers. The draw and pass technique that Anzac speaks of is bread and butter for top players. Draw the defender in by teasing him, and then pass him as he shifts his bodyweight in order to commit a challenge. Gervinho does it all the time, but his final product is lacking. Walcott lacks this, and he always snatches at his attempts to both cross and shoot.

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Absolutely agreed, Anzac. It's amazing how little has been done to rectify this problem. Watch an old Invincible video and have a look at the number of times that Henry, Pires and Ljungberg would drive in behind the fullback and cut it back. Those of us that are familiar with Fifa will probably know that cut backs are the worst way to concede a goal, because it's such an easy method of scoring. Well, for once, this also holds true in real life.

I also agree that there is a general lack of composure in the final third amongst our attackers. The draw and pass technique that Anzac speaks of is bread and butter for top players. Draw the defender in by teasing him, and then pass him as he shifts his bodyweight in order to commit a challenge. Gervinho does it all the time, but his final product is lacking. Walcott lacks this, and he always snatches at his attempts to both cross and shoot.

AA was brilliant at attacking the byline in his 1st calendar year = the dribble along the byline into the area to score from a yard off the line & then the way we used the byline v Everton with AA-RVP-Eduardo at the start of the following season.
THAT is the difference when using 3 genuine forwards in attack,
and the closest we've been to a 433,
but RVP said he didn't have the stamina to play that role in that formation,
and so AW pushed Cesc forward again as AMC/Playmaker/SS.
Personally I'd rather have retained the formation etc & subbed RVP after 60 mins.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom