• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs Portsmouth | 22/08/09, 15:00 | ATVO

Shadow Moses

Established Member
MAK 14 said:
I can understand you wanting Denilson replaced by Nasri or Rosicky, but why Diaby? In my opinion Denilson has been great in the last few games, he's been doing his role really effectively; and believe me, i'm not Denilson's biggest fan. One good game from Diaby, and he should be in the team? What about all the other games he's been poor in?

Denilson optimizes the word average. He actually offers nothing distinctive. He's small, weak and slow. Nothing special defensively, gets shoved off the ball and a pass attempt of anything greater than 10m has more chance of not meeting its target. He's just there on the pitch to keep it simple and dull which isn't good enough.

Diaby, with his lack of intelligence, still has attributes that can be effective during a game. He's big, strong, can take on his man and has proved to be decent defensively when asked to sit back. He's never phased by the opposition/situation and can be quite effective driving the team forward from midfield.

Let me put it this way I'd rather have an inconsistent Diaby who can be devastating when on form that a rather consistently average Denilson.

MAK 14

Established Member
Shadow Moses said:
MAK 14 said:
I can understand you wanting Denilson replaced by Nasri or Rosicky, but why Diaby? In my opinion Denilson has been great in the last few games, he's been doing his role really effectively; and believe me, i'm not Denilson's biggest fan. One good game from Diaby, and he should be in the team? What about all the other games he's been poor in?

Denilson optimizes the word average. He actually offers nothing distinctive. He's small, weak and slow. Nothing special defensively, gets shoved off the ball and a pass attempt of anything greater than 10m has more chance of not meeting its target. He's just there on the pitch to keep it simple and dull which isn't good enough.

Diaby, with his lack of intelligence, still has attributes that can be effective during a game. He's big, strong, can take on his man and has proved to be decent defensively when asked to sit back. He's never phased by the opposition/situation and can be quite effective driving the team forward from midfield.

Let me put it this way I'd rather have an inconsistent Diaby who can be devastating when on form that a rather consistently average Denilson.
How can you say Denilson has been consistently average? He has been great in the last three games, keeping position and distributing well. Of course he doesn't have the attacking threat that say Fabregas does, but he has his own role and he is doing it very well. You are right, Diaby can be lethal when on top form, but in my opinion he is rarely on top form. He always gives the ball away, hangs on the ball for too long and has poor movement off the ball.

I was highly critical of Denilson last season, but i know when to acknowledge that he is doing a good job. Diaby would offer more of an attacking threat, but we would not be able to keep possession nearly as well as we would do without Diaby.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
MAK 14 said:
How can you say Denilson has been consistently average? He has been great in the last three games, keeping position and distributing well. Of course he doesn't have the attacking threat that say Fabregas does, but he has his own role and he is doing it very well. You are right, Diaby can be lethal when on top form, but in my opinion he is rarely on top form. He always gives the ball away, hangs on the ball for too long and has poor movement off the ball.

I was highly critical of Denilson last season, but i know when to acknowledge that he is doing a good job. Diaby would offer more of an attacking threat, but we would not be able to keep possession nearly as well as we would do without Diaby.

This is what I disagree the most with. The other two CMs aren't there to keep position. They are there to be the heartbeat of the team. Attack, create chances, drive the team forward and do a bit of high pressure defensive play. Think Xavi & Iniesta. I personally can't tick a box for Denilson in any of those. He's just there in the midfield and provides nothing. Song keeps position while Cesc distributes and drives the team.
Personally can't wait for him to be dropped.

est

What I've noticed over the first few games is how good Vermaelen's passing really is. Perfect technique. Very unusual for a defender. All of his passes are crisp and accurate and the ball does not bounce. Really helps the player who receives the pass.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Illusion said:
I hate the way people think Diaby should be in ahead of Denilson based on one good Diaby game and a handy pass when he came on as a sub.

Denilson has had three good games where he's played an important role in the team and made a good contribution.
Actually, everyone recognised he played well past 3 games, but imo that should be the standard he should be playing. He was far below par last year. And his good games are not even better than Cesc normal games, which says alot about how we were misleaded by last year's poor performances and now we are accepting decent performances as good.

Whilst Diaby had a good cameo, and an excellent game last time out. Patrick made a good point about how people forgotten Diaby's good run before the FA Cup semi.

For me, Diaby's ceiling is far higher than Denilson, but all I want is for both to play well consistently and cut out more of their bad games. So far, both performances this season are acceptable, more of that please

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
est said:
What I've noticed over the first few games is how good Vermaelen's passing really is. Perfect technique. Very unusual for a defender. All of his passes are crisp and accurate and the ball does not bounce. Really helps the player who receives the pass.

I'm sure that was a huge reason for our signing him.

James

Established Member
A_Gooner_Matata said:
est said:
Whilst i agree, it certainly doesn't hurt either. He's extremely confident on the ball, and i'm sure his technique in that left foot curler that tested David James had a few of us fooled for a certain dutchman.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
James said:
A_Gooner_Matata said:
est said:
Whilst i agree, it certainly doesn't hurt either. He's extremely confident on the ball, and i'm sure his technique in that left foot curler that tested David James had a few of us fooled for a certain dutchman.[/quote]
That impressed me tbh. He caught it very well

qs

Established Member
Vermaelen doesn't make risky passes either, he never goes for the flashy option yet he never seems to hoof it either. Thats a very good quality for a defender, especially in a team so concerned with moving the ball around on the floor.

Unforgiven

Established Member
The fact he doesn't do long balls all the time like toure did does wonders for the team. I can't even remember when that actually worked.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Bloody Myles <a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=1372&cntnt01origid=30&cntnt01returnid=42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/inde ... eturnid=42</a> even ANR admin is getting into him now lol

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
^I only read that guy if it's posted as a link here - I might have to stop clicking altogether if all he is going to do is write ill-constructed and semi-illogical bollocks.

qs

Established Member
Unforgiven said:
The fact he doesn't do long balls all the time like Touré did does wonders for the team. I can't even remember when that actually worked.

Long balls are always bad but Toures were pointless hoofs. What we want is Fabregas playing long diagonals to to the wide forwards.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

TV did some brilliant long balls in preseason, in the little time he had.

outlaw_member

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
His name might well be going on the back of my new white shirt but i'll wait till the close of the window to make a final decision on that!

I was going to get his name on the Arsenal shirt I was supposed to buy last season. Although, I've learned that having current players on the back of a shirt, is not the best of ideas.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom