• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Everton v Arsenal [Sat 15 August; 17:30 UK Time;ESPN]

Anzac

Established Member
I thought TV was tracking the other player who made the run into the box towards the near post (Cahill?)- no one else was, and then Pienaar made the run from behind him which should have been picked up by the FB (Clichy), and the mids (Song/Denilson) should have closed down Saha.

qs

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Its understandable if we're losing 4-1, why sit there in misery for another 5 mins then have to wait a over an hour just to get on the train?

Because thats what being a supporter entails. If you don't support the team when they are down you've no right to support them when they're on top.

Cruisio

Established Member
haha, very black and white qs and you know it. That rule cant apply everytime. I cant be bothered to trail through every single one of your posts on here but im sure there have been many times where you've cursed this team out as not good enough, etc.

Sometimes when your 4-1 down, no matter how good a supporter you are, you just want to get out of there as soon as possible and get that long hard journey back home over with as quickly as possible.

Illusion

Established Member
You're within your rights as a fan to leave early if you are unhappy with what you are seeing. However, you knew the risks when you bought the ticket and it would be nice if you stayed until the end.

I saw a lot of Chelsea fans leaving when it was 1-1 near the end of their game. All of them missed Drogba's last minute goal that gave them an important win. That's the risk you take when you leave early, although if your team is 4-0 or 5-0 down it's more understandable.

For me, when I go to watch a match I am well aware it might take me some time to get home, every fan should be aware of this and plan accordingly. If your schedule is so busy that you can't stay to the end of the match then you should consider not regularly attending the games in the first place.

marco

what a game! cracking atmosphere in our end throughout the game
brilliant result and performance from all those involved.
everton are a strong physical team but i thought TV and song really dealt with their physicality well.
very encouraging- we will probably go and draw with pompey now but a great start..
glad to finally hear the arshavin song get an airing properly- been trying it since Sp**s away- ( and no not the we signed him in the snow)
please please can we get a better song than THOMAS VERMALLEN!!too generic!

qs

Established Member
Cruisio said:
haha, very black and white qs and you know it. That rule cant apply everytime. I cant be bothered to trail through every single one of your posts on here but im sure there have been many times where you've cursed this team out as not good enough, etc.

I have and will continue to but I believe a real supporter has a duty to the team to stay and cheer them on regardless. The same as I expect the players to keep fighting until the final whistle no matter what. If we give up then I don't think we can complain about the players giving up. Complain all you like after the game but while you're at the ground support the team.

Plus its not just when we're being hammered or even when we're losing. There are people who leave when we're winning too.

otfgoon

Established Member
qs said:
otfgoon said:
Its understandable if we're losing 4-1, why sit there in misery for another 5 mins then have to wait a over an hour just to get on the train?

Because thats what being a supporter entails. If you don't support the team when they are down you've no right to support them when they're on top.

Spending nearly £100 and taking time off work just to get to support the side in a CL semi final means nothing just because some choose to not sit there feeling gutted through the final 5 mins of humiliation against United, and then suffer the consequences of getting home past midnight?

That's very easy to say, I've personally never left a game early, but depending on the situation (e.g. getting thrashed by a rival), I don't hold anything against those who leave a few mins early.

General

Established Member
Some of the comments in this thread are unreal. I'd love to see some of you brave a cold winter game,watch a player act like they don't give a sh*t and then scream out "words of encouragement". :D

Illusion said:
For me, when I go to watch a match I am well aware it might take me some time to get home, every fan should be aware of this and plan accordingly. If your schedule is so busy that you can't stay to the end of the match then you should consider not regularly attending the games in the first place.

Illusion my mate- I agree with a lot of the things you say but I'm afraid that's utter bollocks. Amongst the many problems we have regarding the behavior of fans, leaving early is the last thing to be moaning about. Better someone who turns up and leaves early than those who actually buy tickets but don't bother showing up. Arsenal is a very expensive hobby for most match going fans and you talk as if you can legislate for these things when most people have valid reasons for doing so. Even if they didn't,it's their choice. You can always take your protests to the ground and seek out those who leg it early. People were walking out early at Highbury. It's nothing new and happens at every football ground. It's far too easy to do it when you're watching a pile of ****. It is what it is. The club certainly won't thank you for asking people to stay away because they have a tendency to leave early.

progman07

Established Member
I didn't understand one thing. Why did Cesc only get the Jarque shirt out after his 2nd (and the team's 5th) goal? He must have known something we didn't... :D

outlaw_member

Established Member
Maybe he forgot. The 2nd goal was something we haven't seen for a very long time at Arsenal, and he was probably caught up in the moment. For once he made an offensive run and was found by a teammate.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I don't think he had time to get to the bench after his first one. He was jumped by his teammates and after the celebration the ref wanted to restart the game.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Finally watching the game now:

15 mins - ****ing hell, Vermaelen just beat Fellaini in the air! Bendtner, Van Persie and Song are all looking quicker and better on the ball than last season.
26 mins - Great goal, crap celebration.
40 mins - Laughable defending. Can't believe this is an Everton team that's playing like this.
48 mins - Class counterattacking goal that we haven't seen enough of recently. But Everton really have been terrible.
68 mins - What is wrong with Everton? I can't decide if we've even been that good, they're just playing in the total opposite way I'd expect them to.
90 mins - More intelligent play from Eduardo to get that goal. It's amazing how efficient our attack has become.
Great game, good performance and the perfect start to the season. Vermaelen, Song, Cesc and Denilson were outstanding.

qs

Established Member
General said:
Some of the comments in this thread are unreal. I'd love to see some of you brave a cold winter game,watch a player act like they don't give a sh*t and then scream out "words of encouragement". :D

Thats what people do. :roll:

RockyRocastle

Established Member
marco said:
what a game! cracking atmosphere in our end throughout the game
brilliant result and performance from all those involved.
everton are a strong physical team but i thought TV and song really dealt with their physicality well.
very encouraging- we will probably go and draw with pompey now but a great start..
glad to finally hear the arshavin song get an airing properly- been trying it since Sp**s away- ( and no not the we signed him in the snow)
please please can we get a better song than THOMAS VERMALLEN!!too generic!

The atmosphere in the upper at Goodison is usually **** and rocking in the lower, but I was upper on Saturday and it was bouncing. Constant singing and a load standing on the away scheme, which makes a change.

You on about the Arshavin song to the tune they play at the darts? I love it, it is so **** it is good and because there are no words to it it should catch on.

Loved the Eboue song again, cult hero status guranteed for him now!

And agreed, **** song for TV. It is like Nasri and Bendtner having the same 'song'. They deserve better and more originality is badly needed.

General

Established Member
qs said:
General said:

Thats what people do. :roll:

Only in cuckoo land. For added effect> :roll: :roll: :roll:

beck

Established Member
Cruisio said:
And ive seen many games where the support has been great and the team has failed to deliver (Man Utd in the champions league is a great example)
what for the 1st 10 mins? waving a plastic flag and streaming out the ground when things go against you is not great support.
i had no ticket for that game because of the corporates and pickers and choosers.supporters run to the team in there hour of need not stream out like rats leaving a sinking ship

beck

Established Member
karl said:
It's too expensive and difficult to get tickets for home games. Choose an away fixture and enjoy the game for about half the cost.
there were tickets available to red members for 5 days and went on general sale monday for portmouth. there are still tickets available to red members now for the wigan game from 32-50 adults
13pnd juniors
14 oaps, you,l be hard pushed to get to an away game for less than that

Top Bottom