• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carlito'sway

Established Member
The minimum expectation for Arsenal should always be to finish in the top 4. Everything else is negotiable. I would expect improvement defensively, both through bringing in better players and improvement from the players already around. This will be the first full season with Özil, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mkhitaryan together in the squad. The attacking quality should be as good as anyone's. I'll leave all the tactical stuff regarding how to get the best out of the squad to Unai Emery. I have confidence he can sort it all out. I see no reason why expecting a top 4 finish would be setting the bar too high. If Arsenal expects to finish 6th or 10th or whatever some might settle for, it will become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Expect success.

Indeed that should be the minimum but realistically, it is going to be a tough fight to get back to the top 4 though. If Emeri manages to to get that, it will be a real accomplishment.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Same as Wenger's.

Get us back into the CL, be it through the Europa League or a top four finish.

Ideally both, since we could do with a better league finish.

Though I would settle to see this team actually trying week in, week out.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Arsenal fans now happy to settle for a cup run. Our expectations have been lowered.

I expect to win the Europa League, honestly. What happened with Atletico dropping down was a freak accident and, barring Chelsea who we are presently better than, I do not see much competition.

I expect a deep cup run in the FA and League Cups and would give us a good chance of winning one of these.

I also think we should be Top 4. The benchmark domestically wasn't set too high this season, with the exception of City. I suspect that with the addition of Keira, potentially Fekir and a full season with VVD; Liverpool will be tough to overcome next season. City could be as strong as this, also. But we definitely have more than enough quality to bypass FC Lisp Merchant, the Piano Men (barring them spending 300m on worldies) and Chelski.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Top 4 and finish above Sp**s minimum.

Ideally I want him to do a Conte. We have a great squad...he can even dip into the U23 for some great young talent to promote.

TheLawOfDiQ

I'm expecting better performances, as for placing top 4 is expected but won't be on his back if he doesn't get it.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

1. Add steel to the team by bringing in a few roguess like Lichsteiner who can impart some of their experience on the younger lads.

2. Tactically re-enforce the defense so that every player is clear on his ares of influence & where it may overlap during a change of formation be it for Arsenal or the opponent.

3. Make extensive use of the video analydis room by pointing out the tactics & patterns opposition teams follow.

Hopefully an improved league form & a good run in the FA Cup & reaching the EL semis again.

FreakySami

I'll act like most wobs: i want him to win the league or nothing.

Just kidding.

I actually think a realistic expectation is minimum top 4 and a good run in the cups The team is good. We will add 2-3 players and do well after.
I said this before and I'll say it again, this team is good, I was expecting a turbulent season because of the changes in the background and in player personnel. It was obvious that if we got top4 last season, it would have been miraculous.

I think next season we will be much better prepared whether we had a cone, Wenger or Emery :) and I'm really happy about that.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Top 4 for me. I honestly think we’ve got the third best squad in the league.

We definitely need to strengthen in goal and defence but PEA, Özil, Mkhi, Ramsey, Lacazette is a ridiculous amount of fire power up top.

I think Chelsea aren’t that special as we’ve seen and Sp**s and Pool are overly reliant on one or two players. Target has to be getting in front of at least two of those.

As for the EL you never know if one of the big boys will drop in from the CL in January but with Emery’s pedigree I’d want at least final 4 again.

In terms of overall play, more solidity and smarter decision making in big games. Pressing game flagged badly towards the end under Arsène. We were good at a low block but pressing out of our half was often substandard.

Adapting a unified press in some games and a good low block with quick counters will really see us come on leaps and bounds imo.

So in all we’ve got a great manager, maybe the best available and it’s an exciting time.

Hopefully he can give direction to the likes of Bellerin, Xhaka and Iwobi and work with the youth talents we’ve got about to break through. COYG

TornadoTed

Established Member
My expectations are fairly low, achieving top 4 will be difficult as ever not that we don't have a decent chance.

Man City are a step above everyone else at the moment, will rightly be favourites.

Man Utd will do OK again, they will throw obscene amounts of money at decent players but will be hamstrung by Mourinho.

Liverpool have a good side, a top manager who has had a few seasons now to get the team playing how he wants and will strengthen.

Chelsea are an unknown at the moment, who will manage them, will Hazard go, how much will they spend?

I have a feeling Sp**s may have a poorer season this year but that may be wishful thinking, 3rd home ground in as many seasons, will they lose any players, can they keep overachieving?

Anyway I think we have as good a chance as Sp**s and Chelsea for 4th spot but I wouldn't be distraught if we didn't as long as we aren't as far away as last year.

One of the domestic cups or the Europa League would be fantastic.

As long as we see improvements, individuals improving, better away record, look stronger defensively, a style of play developing and the squad starting to look more balanced I will be happy.

Jae

All he needs to do is sort out our horrendous Away form and everything else will fall into place.

gunner_pz

Sir Alex once defined football as a result-oriented business and it should be viewed that way. However I would leave target setting to those in charge.

People need progress to be happy and this is what I would like to see - a team that is willing to work on areas where improvement is much needed. I feel we made a good choice with the new head coach based on everything I've read in the media. Off course the actual handling of the challenges in front of us remains to be seen. Yet, I will be supportive during the first season - things can't get any worse and we are entering the unknown with a new boss.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in top 4, provided that Emery finds a way to gradually improve our game (as it was under Arsène). However if he intends to change things more drastically, than I suppose more time might be needed until results go our way.

Personally, I measure progress by the performance in the Premier League. Domestic cups require only a few games to win a trophy and while winning a trophy is not without significance, I think the club's priority should be elsewhere. Great players want to play in Champions League, after all.

On the other hand, winning a trophy is important part of Emery's way to get fans excited about their team. I would prefer the EL to be that platform.

AL the gooner

Questionable film taste
Im just happy we have a manager that knows how to get over the line, would hate to be losing 6 finals in row, or fail at the semis stage every season, like other clubs.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
It’s a big job. He gets a pass for this season. Top 5 or above. I’d just like to get the feeling that the entire team views defending as an equally vital part of the game to attacking - rather than a chore.

I have always said it’s a likeley scenario that the person following Wenger will fall flat on his arse and the next manager after that will be the one that actually pushes us on.

Top Bottom