• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
I just hope Wenger succeeded in drawing the poison of Mike Dean and Gang towards him so that they dont go after us anymore. Though with no VAR it seems they will not cede their power and associated benefits so easily.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Unless people are confusing hopes with expectations this place is likely to be toxic within twelve months.

First of all, it is very difficult to have expectations without more info of what our squad will look like and what the squads we expect to be competing against will look like. The first is simpler, having been told what he can spend Emery can't reinforce the team much, he might improve it by clever activity on the transfer market but we still don't know this for sure.

As for opponents, can't see any of the teams who finished above us weaken significantly. And there are questions about teams below, will anyone splash the cash big-time? Any new oligarchs/foreign consortiums moving in? Fulham? Everton? West Ham? Jury is out.

All which goes to say that my expectations are 6th, or maybe 5th. My hopes are for Top Four and a trophy. Any trophy, including the League Cup.

The Fourth Place Trophy, subject of much mockery over the years, now seems to be attractive to many people. I don't see many here demanding we win the Premier League, which was the expectation Wenger lived by and fell for, so at least that benchmark has been lowered. Which is just as well because however much of a genius Emery might prove to be (consensus amongst those who say they know is that he is "good" rather than "great", a Theo Walcott of a manager) without more help and a radical reshuffle we won't be anywhere near the top come next May. Or the following May. The Emery Out movement - which I will not support unless the man underperforms ie we're struggling to make the top 6 - will start by next spring.

Gazidis Out.

Kronkes Out.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
I'll act like most wobs: i want him to win the league or nothing.

Just kidding.

I actually think a realistic expectation is minimum top 4 and a good run in the cups The team is good. We will add 2-3 players and do well after.
I said this before and I'll say it again, this team is good, I was expecting a turbulent season because of the changes in the background and in player personnel. It was obvious that if we got top4 last season, it would have been miraculous.

I think next season we will be much better prepared whether we had a cone, Wenger or Emery :) and I'm really happy about that.
The influence of a manager on a game is quite over rated.

A Salah going off injured is 50times the impact of a Klopp going off injured. A Ramos holding the team together is more important during the game than any barking waving from the sidelines.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I also think we should be Top 4. The benchmark domestically wasn't set too high this season, with the exception of City. I suspect that with the addition of Keira, potentially Fekir and a full season with VVD; Liverpool will be tough to overcome next season. City could be as strong as this, also. But we definitely have more than enough quality to bypass FC Lisp Merchant, the Piano Men (barring them spending 300m on worldies) and Chelski.

This is a key point. Everybody else was a lot closer to Arsenal than to City this season. The truth is, Liverpool got lucky with Salah and would have been nowhere near the top 4 without him. They have other very good players, but he carried them. If his performance levels off, they may as well. He had never been THAT good before, so we'll see if in the future he's Messi or Mahrez. So I'm not ruling out catching them either.

United wasn't as good after they traded for Alexis and Mourinho is already showing signs of cracking. They could easily be a mess. Chelsea has a lot of work to do and Sp**s are Sp**s (they still haven't won anything). There's no reason Arsenal can't compete with those clubs.

City may be a bridge too far, but shooting for 2nd place is reasonable. Arsenal gets a full season of Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan. There will be no Alexis distraction this year. Lacazette finally began to hit his stride after Alexis was gone and he got healthy. It's just a matter of improving the defense and cutting down on mistakes that lead to goals.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Let’s be realistic, top 4 is a tough ask.

Top 4 is always a tough ask for anybody. Moneybags City is the only club that hasn't failed to get there over the past 4 or 5 years. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be an expectation. It's an expectation for United, Liverpool, Chelsea and even Sp**s now. If it's not an expectation for Arsenal, it won't happen.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Unless people are confusing hopes with expectations this place is likely to be toxic within twelve months.
Whole pile of confusion. Expecting someone wiser to take this thread in hand and give a brief treatise on the difference between “expectation”, “aim”, “target”, “goal”, “objective”, and “hope”.

You could be that man imho.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Whole pile of confusion. Expecting someone wiser to take this thread in hand and give a brief treatise on the difference between “expectation”, “aim”, “target”, “goal”, “objective”, and “hope”.

Not I. I wouldn't trust any movement which was led by me.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
with Özil, Laca, Mkhi, Ramsey, Auba bedded in and this seasons home record inspite of the toxic whining, we will be top 2 in the league, reach Europa final and be in the semifinals of Carabao and FA cups. If we dont then it will be bad luck.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'll forgive him if we don't get top 4 this season. Hope we have a good run at the Europa tho, I think winning that might be realistic.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

From the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language:

Expectation:

Arsenal must go into the new season with high expectations. They must believe in themselves. If 6th place is the goal, they'll be lucky to finish as high as 6th. And as fans we should have high expectations for them. Arsène Wenger was held to high expectations. For a decade the "4th place trophy" was derided as not good enough for Arsenal. So now 4th place isn't even a target and 6th place is good enough?

Dj_sds -

Expectation:

Arsenal must go into the new season with high expectations. They must believe in themselves. If 6th place is the goal, they'll be lucky to finish as high as 6th. And as fans we should have high expectations for them. Arséne Wenger was held to high expectations. For a decade the "4th place trophy" was derided as not good enough for Arsenal. So now 4th place isn't even a target and 6th place is good enough?

Its the loser mentality wenger has instilled in this club. Some people in here are really amusing. A club of arsenals stature should be challenging for titles. People talking about top 4 being too much to ask, gtfo. 10 more years of wenger and these same people would talk about how not getting relegated is an achievement for arsenal. Arsenal is and always will be a big club and if fans dont see it that way why the **** would others, sickening.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The influence of a manager on a game is quite over rated.

A Salah going off injured is 50times the impact of a Klopp going off injured. A Ramos holding the team together is more important during the game than any barking waving from the sidelines.
Jesus . . . a brother convert. :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Expectation:

Arsenal must go into the new season with high expectations. They must believe in themselves. If 6th place is the goal, they'll be lucky to finish as high as 6th. And as fans we should have high expectations for them. Arséne Wenger was held to high expectations. For a decade the "4th place trophy" was derided as not good enough for Arsenal. So now 4th place isn't even a target and 6th place is good enough?
It’s not ‘expectations’, it’s all about spend bro.

Spending 5th and hoping for top 4 is the reason Arsène got into this mess.

Kroenke needs to pull his wallet out and give the new boy a chance.

Tir Na Nog

Let's be honest, we need to see how the summer goes before we start expecting anything. If Liverpool and Chelsea spend more than us then we can throw top 4 out the window.

Dj_sds -

Let's be honest, we need to see how the summer goes before we start expecting anything. If Liverpool and Chelsea spend more than us then we can throw top 4 out the window.

I really dont understand this, jesus christ. If it was only about spending, the season would finish when the transfer window ended. In business, smaller companies with much smaller budgets have outperformed large enterprises, why is this impossible in football? Liverpool are in the same financial bracket as us and yet reached the champions league final. So many more factors at play than just money.

Tir Na Nog

I really dont understand this, jesus christ. If it was only about spending, the season would finish when the transfer window ended. In business, smaller companies with much smaller budgets have outperformed large enterprises, why is this impossible in football? Liverpool are in the same financial bracket as us and yet reached the champions league final. So many more factors at play than just money.

Generally spending more money enables you to acquire better players unless you spend it poorly.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do better than clubs who spend more money, I'm saying you shouldn't expect to do better. It's not exactly radical thinking. If Liverpool bring in Fekir and Keita and we don't bring in similar calibre players can we seriously expect to do better than them?

Also Liverpool got to the final largely due to a favourable draw. Imagine if they had to face Bayern, PSG or Juventus, would they have gotten to the final? I'm skeptical.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Top 4 is always a tough ask for anybody. Moneybags City is the only club that hasn't failed to get there over the past 4 or 5 years. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be an expectation. It's an expectation for United, Liverpool, Chelsea and even Sp**s now. If it's not an expectation for Arsenal, it won't happen.

Exactly.. If we fail to get top 4 or win trophies it's a disappointing season and should be seen as a failure for Arsenal. That doesn't mean we think it's easy getting in the top 4.

Dj_sds -

Generally spending more money enables you to acquire better players unless you spend it poorly.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do better than clubs who spend more money, I'm saying you shouldn't expect to do better. It's not exactly radical thinking. If Liverpool bring in Fekir and Keita and we don't bring in similar calibre players can we seriously expect to do better than them?

Also Liverpool got to the final largely due to a favourable draw. Imagine if they had to face Bayern, PSG or Juventus, would they have gotten to the final? I'm skeptical.

Being ambitious doesnt mean you cant be rational. No sane person would expect arsenal to win trophies every season, we are not real madrid or barca. But arsenal should be able to consistently challenge for trophies.

Liverpool were lucky with the draw but they also played amazing football untill the final. The roma side they destroyed at anfield knocked out barca. Something wenger couldnt achieve on numerous attempts, with a bigger budget. I just cant get behind the thinking that if team x spends more, fans shouldnt think we can be competitive against them. Thats a losers mentality, giving up before the race even started cant be acceptable.

Tir Na Nog

Being ambitious doesnt mean you cant be rational. No sane person would expect arsenal to win trophies every season, we are not real madrid or barca. But arsenal should be able to consistently challenge for trophies.

Liverpool were lucky with the draw but they also played amazing football untill the final. The roma side they destroyed at anfield knocked out barca. Something wenger couldnt achieve on numerous attempts, with a bigger budget. I just cant get behind the thinking that if team x spends more, fans shouldnt think we can be competitive against them. Thats a losers mentality, giving up before the race even started cant be acceptable.

I'm not saying we should give up. You're inventing your own narrative here. I'm saying in terms of expectations we shouldn't be expecting top 4 if we spend less then 4 or more sides above us.

Yeah, in a game of football it's possible to beat a better side. That's not debatable here. Heck it's possible to overachieve over a short period, but put it this way Emery's job shouldn't be on the line if we finish below 4th after spending less than sides who've finished ahead of us.

Top Bottom