• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
is it that tough to remember a year back at same point in season?

piers wannabes have been moaning for decades...big deal....could never even gather 50 people for a protest.

Now that wenger is gone, proper protest against kroenke and co will get my full support.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Top 4 + Clear development of at least two out of Mavropanos, Chambers, Holding, Nelson, Iwobi, AMN into first team level players through Europa league and cup opportunities

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Hoping for a top 4 spot, EL/Fa cup push and no embarrassing 4-0 defeats against the top teams.

say yes

forum master baiter
Think the focus on 'top 4' is a wrong-footed approach.

There are 6 very good teams in this league and we need to have some sort of more objective barometer of our success. Emery should be judged on whether he has made us better, not on how many of our rivals have poor seasons.

We could improve massively next season, get 80+ points for only the second time since 2005 and still finish 5th. Or we could finish 4th with 68 points because a couple of our rivals drop off. Would have much more sympathy with the side who achieved the first scenario.

Top 4 should be the bi-product of having a great side, not an ambition in itself.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Poll added everyone.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I think top 4 is a perfectly realistic aim, with the firepower up front the strong home form should continue so if Emery can fix our approach in away games this team will be right up there.

Might be too early to talk title challenge straight away. I still think 2-3 transfer windows are needed to get the squad where it needs to be. Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp and Pochettino all used their first full season as manager to bed in before really making a jump in their second season. I would expect that to be the case for Emery especially since I believe he has a stronger base to build from than the latter two, with the likes of Özil/Aubameyang/Mkihtaryan/Lacazette et al at the club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

So you're not even going to give Emery, Mislintat and Sanllehi a chance? You're going to start right in on creating a new toxic atmosphere around the club. So how does that make you different from the ones who created the previous toxic atmosphere?

It’s actually hilarious the mental gymnastics these are doing, the club goes out and gets Unai f*cking Emery and they’re ready to grab the pitchforks.

Go back two weeks and they’re crying about unifying behind Arteta and being positive. They’re on a wind up :lol:

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Being realistic is to look at what you have, and make the most logical prediction.
everything you say is right and it is realistic up to a point, we are easily in the top ten of richest and most moneymaking clubs in the world though. Easily.
The problem up until now has supposedly been our owners and their unwillingness to spend..... supposedly.
Well now we will see money being put truly where mouth is and what happens next will say a lot about Arsène Wengers willingness to spend money or otherwise and could also create a new narrative (or prove an existing one) on who exactly has been holding the club back in the transfer market. We have signed Lacazette and Aubamayang in the last two windows, breaking club records in the process. I suspect the latter was not in any shape or form a Wenger signing as well and the same with Mkhtarian actually.
Im hoping for signings this summer and I think we may well see them.
The difference between us and other teams is not just about transfer investment however, tactically, team coherence (including morale and motivation) wise and balance wise is also where we are behind. Squad wise we have a deeper squad than Liverpool and Sp**s imo but not the quality in key positions and big gaps in certain positions where there probably shouldnt be (reserve rb, dm, wingers)

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
It’s actually hilarious the mental gymnastics these are doing, the club goes out and gets Unai f*cking Emery and they’re ready to grab the pitchforks.

Go back two weeks and they’re crying about unifying behind Arteta and being positive. They’re on a wind up :lol:
They are, there is nothing to be but positive about this if you are a real fan of the club.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
  • Europa League and League Cup Double.
- I would be absolutely elated to see Arsenal win these two trophies!
  • A Top Five finish in the League.
- Gap between us and the Manchester Clubs and Tottenham will take some time to close so finishing above one of Liverpool or Chelsea would be a positive development.

^ If the above happens next year then I would consider it a fantastic first season for Emery.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I want to see a clear path towards a competitive squad, a gameplan for every sort of opposition. I don’t want to put any position in the league or trophy as a must. We’re mediocre now anyway, better to get out of it strong instead of rushing it and failing to be consistently better.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
So you're not even going to give Emery, Mislintat and Sanllehi a chance? You're going to start right in on creating a new toxic atmosphere around the club. So how does that make you different from the ones who created the previous toxic atmosphere?

Call me a convert. My expectation is that we will play like a Sevilla lite.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Think the focus on 'top 4' is a wrong-footed approach.

There are 6 very good teams in this league and we need to have some sort of more objective barometer of our success. Emery should be judged on whether he has made us better, not on how many of our rivals have poor seasons.

We could improve massively next season, get 80+ points for only the second time since 2005 and still finish 5th. Or we could finish 4th with 68 points because a couple of our rivals drop off. Would have much more sympathy with the side who achieved the first scenario.

Top 4 should be the bi-product of having a great side, not an ambition in itself.
Problem is the number of very good teams continues to grow. Remember the days of the "Big Four"? And before that for some years it was effectively a "Big Two"?

When we have eight or ten very good teams we will either have to move up a gear or forget our title aspirations.

I support Emery because he is our manager and I want him to do well with us but I do not support the Board because the board does not support our managers.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Liverpool's net spending over the summer 2017/winter 2018 windows was £10 million. Sp**s spent £14.8 million. I think that's certainly within Arsenal's reach. In fact, Chelsea's £68.1 million is certainly well within reach if Arsenal's budget is £70 million plus money from outgoing transfers. I suppose relative weaknesses and depth are debatable, but I don't see any of those squads as being particularly more well-stocked than Arsenal. The money is there to bring in quality players at DB, DM and GK. Not every player has to be a £100 million galactico.

While it's true that it's difficult for a club on a budget to keep up with the ridiculous spenders such as City, it's just not as simple as tallying up spending and predicting the league table. West Brom spent £44.2 million in the two transfer windows and went down. Everton was the 3rd highest-spending team at £84.3 million and finished 8th. You're taking the squad cost thing a bit too far. There's a general relationship, but not such a rigid one.
The reason the relationship is rough and not exact, is because it’s not really about money; it’s about the quality of the players. Every manager is looking to buy an Alli and a Kane for a few £m.That’s the holy grail. Few teams manage it, that’s why Sp**s are performing above their spend.

But the truth is most cheap players are cheap for a reason and most expensive players tend to be more reliable and possess more talent. VVD has transformed Liverpool’s back line for £70m. Mustafi has made a number of key errors at £35m.

I’d argue that Sven is as important as Emery. To get three quality players for £70m will be a tall order unless he sells yet more of the squad.

And Everton may have shelled out recently but their spend over the last few years still means their squad cost is 7th. They came eighth which is not a long way from where you might expect. West Brom finishing 20th when their squad cost was 14th is probably one of the furthest away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom