• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA: Leeds vs Arsenal | 04/01/04

Adam

Established Member
Lehmann was caring towards Milner. Good for the lad on his birthday.

Lauren calling for Bakke to be booked - i disliked that.

Thierry was highly strung today.

Mark

Established Member
Lehmann didn't look too convincing today, that mistake obviously but also the way he struggled with crosses, I don't like critisizing him because I think he's been really good this season and is a big factor in how our defending has improved but i hope he doesn't make any more mistakes like todays one and the one against kiev because they can cost us, thankfully it didn't today.

Sammer

Established Member
Mark said:
Lehmann didn't look too convincing today, that mistake obviously but also the way he struggled with crosses, I don't like critisizing him because I think he's been really good this season and is a big factor in how our defending has improved but i hope he doesn't make any more mistakes like todays one and the one against kiev because they can cost us, thankfully it didn't today.

Well said Mark. SOL´s criticism goes way too far and doesn´t even acknowledge that Lehmanns presence is one of the main reasons for our improved defense.
No problem if you really dislike a player, but you should give Jens the credit that he deserves.

zerofeel

Lehmann had an off day,Sol is still struggling with his distribution and Keown lack match fitness but i think overall these big guns will stand up n be counted when they meet a bigger opponent...every player will have a bad day sometimes but as long as the team wins,thats all tat matters...Mad Jens really need to have more kicking practice..perhaps the English rugby team can be called upon to help him with tat??? ;D but Mad Jens is a great shot stopper on his day...

Andrew

Sammer said:
Mark said:

Well said Mark. SOL´s criticism goes way too far and doesn´t even acknowledge that Lehmanns presence is one of the main reasons for our improved defense.
No problem if you really dislike a player, but you should give Jens the credit that he deserves.

Don't worry. We spent 1.5 million pounds in the summer and have improved our defence dramatically. Not a bad return for the money spent. No one can seriously think that Seaman is a better goalkeeper than Lehmann anymore, he's probably not even half as good. Lehmann isn't the best in the world (although I think at his best he comes close) but generally does all that's asked from him. The way he plays we know he's going to make mistakes (yesterday's one is in-excuseable though) but when it comes down to it his effect on the team is far more positive than negative.

Phil

I caused a riot today. sitting in the VIP area of the West Stand for the third time in 2 years, I was prepared for the usual corporate hospitality and the accompanying 4-1 victory.

lehman changed all that! As I sat in a hostile environment, listening to the "Marching On Together", I feared the worst. I remembered the limp 0-2 at Goodison in 1981 that ruined our hopes of four Wembley finals in a row. The leeds fans were "up" and I was down. I began thinking of the possibilities of a second Leeds goal, which, for 4 minutes after Lehmann's howler, looked possible.

Thierry then missed a simple chance. Doubts grew. leeds confidence grew further.

Then, Thierry scored! 11,998 people in the West Stand sat motionless. One Numpty leapt into the air, screaming: "GET IN THERE, YOU BEAUTY!!".

Anyone who knows The American Warewolf In London, and the Yorkshire Pub scene, will be familiar with the atmosphere that followed. 11, 998 people turned to me and mouthed obscenities. Two stewards were summoned, and stood at the end of my row for the next 70 minutes, ensuring no similar celebrations were recorded for Edu, Bobby or Kolo.

My 9 Year Old son, who had leapt up with me, just sunk low into his seat, pulled his hat down over his eyes, and hissed, "Dad!, ".

I kept my head for the remainder. I merely smiled at goals 2 , 3 and 4. The inward contentment of certainty, that I am used to at Elland Road. But for 23 minutes at the beginning of the afternoon, I had returned to the feeling of doubt that used to pervade my life as a Gooner.

Thierry's goal will be up there as a highlight of the season for me. Right up there with San Siro, Ashley vs Kiev, and VN Penalty Miss!

reggiepaul

Am I the only person who walked to this game KNOWING we'd win it, even AFTER they scored?

Come on. This was easy peasy. Our game is so solid lately with an unbelievably strong depth a team of Leeds calibre is toast.

When we play some giants of Europe, then we can worry but for FA Cup games and the like we should walk them with our current outfit.

A

Anonymous

Andrew said:
Sammer said:
Mark said:

Don't worry. We spent 1.5 million pounds in the summer and have improved our defence dramatically. Not a bad return for the money spent. No one can seriously think that Seaman is a better goalkeeper than Lehmann anymore, he's probably not even half as good. Lehmann isn't the best in the world (although I think at his best he comes close) but generally does all that's asked from him. The way he plays we know he's going to make mistakes (yesterday's one is in-excuseable though) but when it comes down to it his effect on the team is far more positive than negative.

WHAT!!?? Are you mad?

Lehamnn at his best is no were near Toldo or Buffon. Come on man, what are you smoking?

What is he now 33-34? At that age Seaman was a far better keeper. You never saw him making the school boy errors Lehamann does.

He has a suspect temperment, is supect on crosses on cant kick. Anyone who disagrees with this? Becasue i dont know how you can.

He is ok as a stop gap keeper, no more.

reggiepaul

Bloody hell. I think Lehmann is a pretty good keeper. Granted he aint the greatest but what do you base greatness on?

The way Lehmann is always in the right position, the way he is always diving for balls from positions he is distance away, the way he always seems to get the ball out to the right person - many things leaves little to be faulted.

He was caught out by Vidukas big fat backside yesterday. HOW MANY keepers can get passed a man who survives upon many many pies and single handledly brought down the Leeds Pie eating industry leading to the financial breakdown at Elland Road and further demoralising and destroying a football club.

Fatty Mark Viduka. Not many keepers can get passed a fat striker but Lehmann did well enough to field the ball past him to the point we scored 4 goals (and more if we had tried a little harder).

Sammer

Established Member
Get a grip SOL, how much have you actually seen of Toldo, Buffon or Kahn???

Yes, they are all outstanding keepers - and they all make mistakes sometimes, even bad ones like Buffon the other day in the Seria A.

Since we cannot convince you that Jens is a good keeper who has saved our ass many times in the EPL, let´s just leave it the way it is. You think Lehmann is complete crap, ok.

There is obviousely no point in trying to show you that Jens has done quite well....

JazzG

Established Member
I've seen Buffon make so many blunders, the goals he usually lets in are usually due to him making blunders.

Jens has done well for us, ain't as bad as some are making it out.

Andrew

Sol said:
Andrew said:
Sammer said:
Mark said:

WHAT!!?? Are you mad?

Lehamnn at his best is no were near Toldo or Buffon. Come on man, what are you smoking?

What is he now 33-34? At that age Seaman was a far better keeper. You never saw him making the school boy errors Lehamann does.

He has a suspect temperment, is supect on crosses on cant kick. Anyone who disagrees with this? Becasue i dont know how you can.

He is ok as a stop gap keeper, no more.

Toldo and Buffon, from what I've seen, are no doubt better than Lehmann. I never said that Lehmann was the best. But if Lehmann's in top form (ie. at his best) he is in the top 10 (ie. comes close) in the world.

And read what I said about Seaman and Lehmann. I never said Lehmann was better than Seaman at 33. I said Lehmann is a lot better than Seaman at the moment, and if you can't see that then you are mad. Read more carefully.

And don't think that Toldo and Buffon don't make errors either. All goalkeepers do.

Andrew

Sammer said:
Get a grip SOL, how much have you actually seen of Toldo, Buffon or Kahn???

Yes, they are all outstanding keepers - and they all make mistakes sometimes, even bad ones like Buffon the other day in the Seria A.

Since we cannot convince you that Jens is a good keeper who has saved our ass many times in the EPL, let´s just leave it the way it is. You think Lehmann is complete crap, ok.

There is obviousely no point in trying to show you that Jens has done quite well....

You're right there. I don't think we can change his mind. He had a go at me once about how I didn't know anything about football because I suggested Edu should start ahead of Gilberto. So be it, I know nothing.

Phil

jens will make mistakes. God Knows we had the best keeper in England for 11 years and he made mistakes too!

The important thing is the frequency. I noted that Sol passed back to Mad Jens within 2 minutes, as if to say "whack that, and get it out of your system".

The Leeds fans had a great time with every passback, but ask yourself which of Robinson or Lehmann has performed better this season?

The Observer published its Premiership Team of the season so far, yesterday. we had three in there: Titi, Kolo, and Mad Jens. Not a bad judge!

Adam

Established Member
Hah, know nothing, but absorb everything.

Jens has improved our defensive unit. FACT.

Sammer

Established Member
Phil said:
The Observer published its Premiership Team of the season so far, yesterday. we had three in there: Titi, Kolo, and Mad Jens. Not a bad judge!

Good choice there from the Observer !

rachael-8

sol you said lehmann is suspect on crosses
i think on arsenal.com it said his record of ctahcing crosses was 93% here,94% at dortmund whihc bloody good
i think his kicking has improved big style since he arrived
he's class

Top Bottom