• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA: Portsmouth vs Arsenal | 06/03/04

gooner

Portsmouth are one of the promoted sides from division one and in my eyes they are the most likeliest division one team to stay up rather then Wolves and Leicester. They came to Highbury and to be fair they had enough chances to beat us that day with Yakubu particularly wasteful for them. They are one of the only two teams to come to Highbury and take a point, the other team is Fulham and for that itself they deserve some credit.

Portsmouth have had two great results in their last two matches. They beat Liverpool at home although Liverpool should have won, and they got a draw against Newcastle, which proves that they will be no rollovers. The one good thing to remember is that LuaLua will not be able to play a part in Saturday’s match, as he is cup tied. Berger is also out for the season.

Portsmouth have some very underrated players like Yakubu who is a great young striker with a lot of pace and good finishing and is always lurking round the box and reminds me of Agahowa a lot. Harry Redknapp has also bought in very good experienced players like Stone, Sheringham and Sherwood. I also think that Smertin has looked very good who is on loan from Chelsea, as he is very good in the challenge a good passer and works his heart out.

Below is a list of who I think are their key players:

Sheringham + Yakubu KEY MEN 1
Faye + Smertin KEY MEN 2
Berkovic + Quashie KEY MEN 3
De Zeeuw + Taylor KEY MEN 5

The best team line up I would go with for this match even though it will be difficult is:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

Gilberto Vieira Edu Ljungberg

Reyes Kanu

I would rest Pires, Henry and Bergkamp and keep them fresh for the Celta game or keep them on the bench.

It will be a good match and hopefully the gunners will prevail with a win.

Come on you Gooners!!!

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
isnt Shearingham hurt for the rest of the year? (or at least for a few weeks?)

i think we should win this match... Hislop will be playing with a broken finger, Berger is out for the season and Teddy wont be playing.. there is no reason we shouldnt win

patrick42uk

Established Member
linvoy primus should be a key man. has been doing a good man marking job recently v newcastle and liverpool

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Isn't Sherringham out? Thought that's one reason why they got Lua Lua in the first place.

Portsmouth certainly played a blinder at Highbury earlier in the season; whereas Fulham just tried to bore us to death.

I feel Yakubu may get a little isolated and frankly, they have to focus on staying in the prem; I agree they have a good chance and hope they do.

But I also agree we should rest Henry & Bergy. but I'd rest Edu and play Llungberg and Pires, as Kanu and Reyes are untried up front and may labour, as we did in the Carling Cup when we permed those two with Bentley.

alwaysagooner

But lets face it guys the only reason they have had the two credible draws and the win is down to the other teams but one of the most inconsistent of the season. They should have lost in all 3 games if it wasn't for the poorness of the opposition. With our run and momentum even with a changed team it is hard to see anything but a gunners triumph.

quattro

id rest pires rather than henry. this year he has probably played more anyway. bergkamp imo doesn't need rest and i dont think he wants one. if they are going to rest henry i think bergkamp should be there with reyes and not kanu. i just dont want to underestimate pompey.

Mark

Established Member
Aliadiere is back from injury so it would be nice to see him come off the bench perhaps. I think Henry and Pires should also be on the bench.

Jinn

Established Member
I'm a bit worried about Lua Lua myself. Good to see the Sheringham is injured - he always seems to play bettr against us.

I don't think it'll be a walkover - we'll win by probably one goal.

kNiteMare

Wenger wouldnt play Henry. He doesnt play Henry at the corresponding fixture last season and there is no reasons he will this year, esp. against Portsmouth. Prob rest Bergkamp too as we will need him again Vigo, but i am not so sure about Pires.

Ali should be given a chance to play imo as is Bentley, who should be a sub.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Wenger wont play Henry and pires they might not even be on the bench. It will be a tough game :roll: but i have confidence in our boys

Come on Gunners :)

Soler

Established Member
Can see Arsène not playing Bobbie, but just wait for the media the next day.

"Pires chickens out of Pompey match"

"Arsenal scared of South Coasters"

Wankers.

Stim

The two forwards will be the main issue, who will it be?

For me Ali deserves his chance that he was meant to get against Leeds(?) but he got injured, but then again, if Reyes doesn't start on Wednesday then he is also in the frame. For me, i think the Aliadiere + Kanu partnership will work best.

Andrew

I wouldn't rest Pires. I would play a full strength team, with whoever out of Gilberto/Edu being playing in this game and then sitting out the CL game for the other to play. Bergkamp and Henry up front with Reyes in mind for the CL.

lewdikris

Established Member
I'd love to see Ali and Reyes up front - they've got a long future ahead at Arsenal, and I think they could be an awesome pairing in the absence of the King.

Stim

lewdikris said:
I'd love to see Ali and Reyes up front - they've got a long future ahead at Arsenal, and I think they could be an awesome pairing in the absence of the King.

Love to see it, if it worked. I think it would turn out to be like Reyes + Bentley in the CC. If Reyes and Ali are going to play, they need to be around some experience like Bergkamp, Kanu and Henry. Together i dont think it would work, well not yet anyway.

marhes26

Im just wondering how long we can go gambling dropping certain players.I would actually prefer our strongest line up against pompey.I think it will be a hard game and there fans will be right behind them.At worst have the likes of Henry on the bench.Henry cant be that tired as he has had quite a few breaks in recent weeks.

Top Bottom