• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA Youth Cup Final, 1st Leg | Fri 22 May | 8 PM

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
jack_wilshere_arsen_998374c.jpg

Our reserves against Liverpool's. It's on tomorrow (today if it happens to be friday when you click this thread), first leg at home. The game is shown on Setanta 1 so there will probably be a lot of streams available too for us less fortunate.

Youngguns reckon that Henri Lansbury is up for a start. Wilshere and Coquelin will both be back from the U-17 Euros so I guess it means that Jay Emmanuel-Thomas will play as either a fullback or a second striker. I think Luke Ayling got a red card last time around, so he'll miss the first leg of the final. I'm not sure who'll replace him.

DaGunners

Established Member
Can't wait for this personally. Hopefully Giles Sunu is up front. I really like the way he goes about the game.

lazyfreak

If Ayling is Out, probably JET will take his place. And then Lansbury will take his midfield spot so the 4-2-3-1 that's been successful could still be played.

Shea
Eastmond Bartley JET Cruise
Coquelin Frimpong
Lansbury wilshere Watt
Sunu

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
looking forward to this one.. will be exciting to see Lansbury again, hopefully league 1 has been a good experience for him..

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Yeah, Lansbury's been great at Scunthorpe.

I'm not sure what to think of the starting eleven. On one hand I think Miquel might be a better choice at centreback, he's been looking good in the two games he's played for the reserves this far and he combines well with Bartley. On the other hand he's very inexperienced and not even a regular part of the reserves squad. I don't want JET as a defender though. Partly because I don't think he's very good there, but above all because it seems that he's starting to find a more defined role as an attacking midfielder. The assist to Merida against West Bromwich earlier this month was class.

lazyfreak

JET playing at the back is just one possibility. This is also a time where his versatility comes into play(if Ayling is definitely out). It would be hard to not give Lansbury a start and the only player in midfield that could be dropped for JET to keep his place is Watt and to be fair, it would be harsh on him if he were dropped.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
hackajack said:
Is Ayling definitely out?
I honestly don't know. I just listened to Steve Bould speaking about the game on ATVO and he said nothing about Ayling when it came to team selection. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I can't seem to find the game where he got a red card either, Arsenal.com isn't listing it. Someone care to enlighten us?

Bould did say that Wilshere isn't certain for the game though. He's been training with the rest of the team for two days now so they're hopeful, but "he's is a little bit touch-and-go so we'll see" (whatever that means).

hackajack

Established Member
Ayling got two yellows in the Asademy league final against Sp**s. What I don't know is if that does give an automatic suspension, whether it works across competitions and whether they implement it this late in the season. I'd have thought we'd have appealed it to let him play on top of all that.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. It wasn't listed among the regular fixtures on the site.

I think it works across competitions for the reserves though, just as a red card in a normal FA Cup game equals a suspension in the Premier League and vice-versa. But seeing as the game was a one-off there might be a case.

GaelForce22

Established Member
DaGunners said:
Are any of Afobe, Freeman, or Ozyakup in the squad for this?
I'd imagine Afobe will be, maybe Freeman too. I don't think Ozyakup has played in the youth cup yet so I can't see him there.

DaGunners said:
Maybe Eastmond at CB, Coquelin at RB, and Lansbury next to Frimpong?
Or even Lansbury at right back? He's played there before IIRC.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Liverpool team? My mate told me the man to keep an eye on is Nemeth, didn't know anything more about them than that though.

progman07

Established Member
GaelForce: Nemeth is older than 18, as far as I know (and I'm Hungarian as well). He is a talented striker by the way, scores lots of goals in the Liverpool Reserves.

Nela

Established Member
progman07 said:
GaelForce: Nemeth is older than 18, as far as I know (and I'm Hungarian as well). He is a talented striker by the way, scores lots of goals in the Liverpool Reserves.
How come he never plays for Liverpool? Liverpool fans go on and on about how great he is, but he never seems to get a chance. Aside from Torres it's not like their first team is filled with strikers.

jackycreegs

In the comments on that Young Guns piece someone says they've seen the interview with Bould and he says Ayling is available. If that's true and Wilshere's fit, I would expect:

Shea
Eastmond-Bartley-Ayling-Cruise
Wilshere-Coquelin-Lansbury-Frimpong-JET
Sunu

I can't see Murphy playing up top on his own or any of the midfielders not being selected. If Wilshere's not fit then presumably Lansbury will play on the right and Murphy will partner Sunu.

This Liverpool team came 4th in their section of the league, 26 points behind Manchester City, so there's got to be a fairly good chance of us CRUSHING them (although I guess they might play their under-17s a lot like we do).

Looking forward to it.

dbig

Nela said:
progman07 said:
How come he never plays for Liverpool? Liverpool fans go on and on about how great he is, but he never seems to get a chance. Aside from Torres it's not like their first team is filled with strikers.

Has any player under 20 made a first-team appearance for Liverpool under Benitez? I can't remember any. I think it's just not Benitez's philosophy to play youngsters or the youngsters that they have are not very good.

We are huge favourites to win this one at home (according to the bookies, anyway). Can't wait for the game. I've heard some hype about the Pool youngsters and would love to see what they're all about and how they match up to us. The strongest component of our team is probably the midfield with the likes of Coquelin, Frimpong, JET, Lansbury, and Wilshere there. Think they'll be able to impose our game on Liverpool and allow us to win.

Edit: Oh yeah, Ramsey's still available, although we'll definitely not play him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom