• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Ajax vs Arsenal | 01/08/04

Sol man

He doesn't look too happy. If he truly wants to go then I hope he would just come out with it and allow Arsenal to move on. There was life before Patrick Vieira and there will be life after Patrick Vieira

Sigun

those faces are great....what camera did ya use mate?

Vieira looks pissed, i just reckon its because he cant play....must be frustrating.

JazzG

Established Member
Pretty good performance by us even though I missed most of the 2nd half! Reyes at times was brilliant, his attidude, hard work, great technique, getting knocked down but getting right back up, he also always seems to play with a smile on his face! I have very high hopes for him and like I said a few months ago with every passing game his influence on our team is growing. Just hope his partnership with Henry clicks because it didn't click very well last season, if those 2 play anyway near their best next season they will tear apart the best defenses. Their keeper had one of those days, another day and we probably would of walked of with the trophy! Others played well as well esp Toure and Cole, those 2 set high standards last season and it looks like they might even raise the bar next season!

As for Wenger's Vieira comments. They asked him if he would stay, he said he was hopefull. Then the interviewer said is it only hope he has now and Wenger said he is certain of whether Vieira is staying.

MightyArsenal

Really great game today, its wasplayed at a great tempo and just goes to show how good the arsenal trainers are to get the players that sharp in pre season especially pires, ljungberg and cole considering it was their first game back.

The best player on the pitch by a mile was ashley cole and thats saying something cause toure and reyes were outstanding. Is it possible that erickson has improved him as a player? The guy made no mistakes, made every tackle, made every pass and was always in the right placeat the right time with 2 goal line clearances.

Roberto carlos eat your heart out!

JazzG

Established Member
MightyArsenal said:
Is it possible that erickson has improved him as a player?

Not a chance. He was brilliant for us last season as well, it was just for England he had dodgy games. No support from the midfield in defense was the problem and when Sven realised that we saw how good he is. Last season he was our 3rd best player, behind Henry and Toure, those 2 made big impacts but Cole was consistantly brilliant for us.

AFCG7

Established Member
I think playing for England has improved him tremendously because he has to work much much harder defensively.. Sven's diamond formation often left him with no cover at all and when the ginger **** played on the left side he hardly helped out either.. this made him concentrate a lot more on the defensive side and since he already had the forward runs sorted out it has made him into a more complete LB.

arsenal4life

Sol said:
Spot on.

Gilberto is such a great player. There is no doubt that he should be first choice, he is miles ahead of Edu. And Wenger thinks the same.

He does such a vital job for our team, and one that many people miss, which is unfortunate for the guy, who deserves a lot more than the abuse he gets.

now Gilly is miles better than Edu
i remember last year when all ppl hoped with another CM

Spike

Established Member
Great match! We had lots of goal chances, but we just didn't finish, mainly due to the keeper in great form.

Our defence was solid, the Ajax strikers never really posed a threat.

Reyes was good again, energetic and exciting to watch, and Cole; he must've been one of the best players on the pitch.

Lehmann looked good also, only made 1 or 2 mistakes, nothing major.

G00n3r

Reyes - was very good again, agreed. Hope he lights up this coming season.

But it's his new found strength on the ball thats impressed me the most. He looks more like a little bull now and is winning 50/50s he was not last season.

Cole - agreed with everyone again, best left back around.

Toure - quality. Gives his all for the arsenal.

Cygan - assured and good on the ball, most distribution from defence goes through him. Yes he's still slow but that's not going to change, good back up if you ask me.

Pires - was the forgotten man by a lot of people but he showed he is still one of the best attacking midfielders in the game.

Ljungberg - so good to see him looking hungry, worrying that he held his back a few times. Deserves an injury free season for us.

Bergkamp - clearly relished playing in front of the AJax fans again and looks like he has goals in him.

Flamini - positive game for him, not outstanding but i saw glimpes of a great future player for arsenal. Composed and better going forward than i thought.

Hoyte - great going forward and decent defending, the boy is fast and goes past people like Henry, well not quite ;)

Giblet - does exactly what it says on the tin. I dont think Gilberto will win people over who don't already see the job he does for us.

All this without our 'spine' as well. Bodes well for the future.

A

Anonymous

i love reyes he runs and runs and runs
never gives up and never backs out
he plays with that sparkle in his eyes adn a smile on his face tho i worry that some **** like scholes will hack him again and injure him seriously

bobbypires

Established Member

calvinngai88

Great pics again bobbypires. Really nice. Anyway, not a bad game actually compared to the one with River that was much more boring. Two excellent clear-off goal line by Cole. As what other said, really do agree he's one of the current best left backs in the world. Toure, he's just improving game by game. Reyes? Don't have to comment about him actually. Played superbly, ran about in the field, was shocked when he clutched onto his shin-cum-ankle after a bad challenge by de Jong. Was relieved after seeing him come back on for second-half.

Hoyte was played, maybe because Sven was present there, and Wenger might want to hint that Hoyte can be the next great England defender, regardless of his position, CB or RB. Wenger stated he will continue to keep tabs on Ne and Eboue, though will not sign them this summer, but won't rule out during the next summer. Thus he just wants to assess more of their abilities. Glad to see Pires and Ljungberg back to their top form. Great comeback for Bergkamp at Amsterdam Arena.

Gilberto and Flamini did well to keep out the "young star-studded" Ajax midfield, Mitea-Van der Vaart/Sneijder-de Mul- Galasek. Ajax's keeper, Stecklenbeurg was really outstanding, keeping out any of the Arsenal attacks. A great keeper to watch in the future. Grygera and Heitinga combined well in the central defence to keep out Reyes, Ljungberg, Pires and Bergkamp.

kazu

i'm definitely getting an away shirt with reyes name on it!
this guy's brilliant, has a great attitude... really it's hard not to like him!

patrick42uk

Established Member
was no-one else worried about ljungberg going away to get treatment on his back? it seems like a problem that wont go away. i wonder how much that affects his ability on the pitch

Adam

Established Member
Was it lower back or higher?

This would effect his main attribute - his movement.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Adam said:
Was it lower back or higher?

This would effect his main attribute - his movement.

his lower, he was holding it quite a few times in the game. i think it affects his performances too. this is pennant's best opportunity at arsenal because i can see ljungberg having spells on the sidelines.

Top Bottom