• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Arsenal vs Paris Saint-Germain | 28/07/07

Unkmengani

You won't be surpised to know (given the line up in midfield) that we were pretty bad in the 1st half. Didn't create much and PSG had a few chances, RvP had 1 decent run on goal, Clichy played well and Almunia made a good save. Then right on the stroke of half time we scored a scruffy goal.

2nd half, we looked loads better, Eboue, clichy playing wide midfield were very good, as was Hleb in CM, making good runs, creating things. bendtner played well, missed a couple of chances, including the penalty that was given for a foul after a great run from Hleb was ended by a clumsy tackle on him.

bendtner could have scored another after his 1st goal which was a poacher type effort after he had leaped well from a corner. Almunia made more fggod saves and then PSG scored a well worked goal. Senderos was solid, played really well, as did Diaby in spells.

So, a game of 2 halves really!

gunnerGH

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Guys, I hate to be lazy, but anyone got a rundown of the game today? Who played, and who played well? How did we look as a team? Were things better than last week's performance against Salzburg?

Was at a wedding all day in Llandudno, but back home for day 2 tomorrow...

IMO

Positives:

Bendtner (good link up play, though poor finishing)
Flamini (looks up for this season despite being 4th/5th choice)
Almunia
Eboue/Clichy Wing play

Negatives:

No Eduardo (needs time to adapt with team-mates on the pitch)
Van Persie (Poor game by his high standards, will undoubtedly improve however)

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Van Persie had a poor 1st half because the creativity was non exsistant.

This has happened far too much even last season. You cant blame the strikers when theres no support from the midfield.

gunnerGH

Established Member
>YounGunner< said:
This has happened far too much even last season. You cant blame the strikers when theres no support from the midfield.

Yeah true, thought van persie should have linked up better though. Drifted back into the midfield to help initiate attacks

Lukazan

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Guys, I hate to be lazy, but anyone got a rundown of the game today? Who played, and who played well? How did we look as a team? Were things better than last week's performance against Salzburg?

Defence: Almunia was good, one slight fumble aside. Senderos was a rock all game and won everything tossed his way. Gallas and Toure were solid. Sagna looked a little nervous and was caught out of position a few times which gave PSG opportunties down his side. Clichy still has no final ball but his defensive game was spotless and he was our only threat to PSG in the first half. Hoyte came on in the second half and did well, and I don't really remember much of Traore.

Midfield: First half they were diabolical, except, surprisingly, Flamini who did well and scored a goal. Fabregas, Diaby and Denilson were all poor. Second half Hleb came on and was deployed behind Bendtner in the hole and really stood-out. He took people on for fun and was a threat everytime he picked the ball up. A great run to win the penalty. Diaby was also moved to the center and looked much more comfortable there. Eboue played on the right wing in the second half and was actually pretty decent, in comparison to his last game anyway. Randall looked a little out of his depth and had no impact.

Strikers: RVP was very quiet but the service wasn't great. He took a free kick from a great position but hit it high and handsome. Not alot came off for Bendtner in the first half but he scored a good poachers goal in the second half. Hit a tame penalty at the keeper though and also fluffed a chance he should have done better with.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Merida+Denilson said:
Anyone agree with these ratings:
no.

sagna - 4
clichy - 7,5
flamini - 5
fabregas - 7,5
diaby - 6
bendtner - 5
eboue - 6
hoyte - 8
hleb - 9
traore - 4

the rest i agree with.

kel varnsen

Established Member
dos1986 said:
Long Time Gooner said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
might be reading into things too much, but after listening to Arsène today i've got a hunch that anelka will infact be at the emirates come september.
He looks to be the only realistic available target who is any good.

Despite my dislike of the situation with his brothers I think that I'd be pleased if Arsène decided that he wanted him. He would strengthen the squad and help the attack to return to pace. Because pace terrifies defenders.

Anelka is hardly Cisse or Odonkor anymore....If your looking for someone to add serious pace to our attack,then Anelka isnt the man....He's quick,but not blistering.....and doesnt carry the ball long distances anymore,he's faster than Adebayor imo,only barely though

odonkor? the guy playing on the left wing for poland(?) had absolutely no problem beating him for pace in last year's world cup.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
dos1986 said:
Long Time Gooner said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
might be reading into things too much, but after listening to Arsène today i've got a hunch that anelka will infact be at the emirates come september.

Despite my dislike of the situation with his brothers I think that I'd be pleased if Arsène decided that he wanted him. He would strengthen the squad and help the attack to return to pace. Because pace terrifies defenders.

Anelka is hardly Cisse or Odonkor anymore....If your looking for someone to add serious pace to our attack,then Anelka isnt the man....He's quick,but not blistering.....and doesnt carry the ball long distances anymore,he's faster than Adebayor imo,only barely though

odonkor? the guy playing on the left wing for poland(?) had absolutely no problem beating him for pace in last year's world cup.

Germany. All pace that player.

kel varnsen

Established Member
>YounGunner< said:
kel varnsen said:
dos1986 said:
Long Time Gooner said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:

? germany played poland, if i remeber correctly and the guy on the left wing had no problems beating odonkor for pace. that was my point...

>YounGunner<

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
>YounGunner< said:
kel varnsen said:
dos1986 said:
Long Time Gooner said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:

? germany played poland, if i remeber correctly and the guy on the left wing had no problems beating odonkor for pace. that was my point...

:lol: He plays for Germany mate. Very pacy and was effective off the bench for Germany. Overrall though i dont rate him.

rednwhitearmy

Resident Noob
gunnerGH said:
asajoseph said:

IMO

Positives:

Bendtner (good link up play, though poor finishing)
Flamini (looks up for this season despite being 4th/5th choice)
Almunia
Eboue/Clichy Wing play

Negatives:

No Eduardo (needs time to adapt with team-mates on the pitch)
Van Persie (Poor game by his high standards, will undoubtedly improve however)
Eduardo needs a workpermit, thus he was not playing.

Hleb had another very good game, playing in his ideal position.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Not been following things that closesly as I've been quite busy for the past few days.
Why has Walcott not featured in the last 2 games?
Is he injured again already?

HighburyHeroes

invisibleman18 said:
Not been following things that closesly as I've been quite busy for the past few days.
Why has Walcott not featured in the last 2 games?
Is he injured again already?

he, ade and rosicky didnt pull up to well after the training camp
nothing serious, they will miss both emirates game but will be back for amsterdam

Lancelot

Established Member
Sorry for being a bit late to reply this, Merida+Denilson. :)

Please find my comments inside the quote in Bold Italic in order to save the space. ;)

Merida+Denilson said:
Anyone agree with these ratings:

Almunia - 8 - Was very good throughout the game, had to deal with a few tough shots but dealt with them comfortably.To be honest mate, I don't like the fact that he got beaten at the near post for the goal conceded - 7.5
Sagna - 5.5 - Caught out defensively today, and didn't contribute much attacking-wise either. Noticed he is better at heading than I thought he was though.Very disappointing - 5
Toure - 5.5 - Looked uncomfortable quite often, not very commanding either. Perhaps lacking match fitness more than anything else?Agreed
Senderos - 7.5 - Was impressive today in my opinion, good reading of the game and made good challenges. No real clumsy distribution either.I thought he did very well, solid throughout and very tight on his marking - Agreed
Clichy - 9 - Very, very good today. In the first half bombed forward at any opportunity from left back, yet didn't lack defensively either. In the second half on the wing instead of full-back, he was every where. A phenomenal performance. Ashley who?Disagreed - It should be Cashley who? - :lol:
Flamini - 6 - Out of position, worked hard but doesn't have the technique for the wing position. Defensively solid though, and in the right place at the right time for the goal.His finishing was very good and the fact that he got himself into the position to score where, normally, most of other attackers would typically wait outside the box should be enough to warrant his additional .5 from me - 6.5
Fabregas - 6 - Average performance, some great moments, but some poor passes and tackles as well.Agreed
Denilson - 6.5 - Not too bad, but also not very eye-catching either. However, still a pretty solid performance. Lacks defensive awareness at times.Agreed - His second-half performance was much better though compared to the first-half
Diaby - 7 - Struggled on the left wing in the first half, but got more into the game as a central midfielder in the second half, with some strong tackles and running. Needs to pass the ball earlier though, and has an annoying tendency to make needless fouls.Agreed
van Persie - 6 - Frustrating performance, never really got going and was easily wound up by PSG. One good run is about the sum total of his efforts tbh.Agreed - Seemed like he was trying a bit too hard to create something out by his own rather than looking for a smart interplay with his teammates to beat the opponent's defenders
Bendtner - 7 - A mixture of some great play, some solid play, and some woeful finishing and lapses in concentration today. Good control, awareness of other players and hold up play. Some good passes as well, but tended to panic slightly when closer to the goal. Majestic leap for his goal though.The penalty was so horrible that I have to deduct .5 from your rating - 6.5 :lol:

Subs:
Eboue - 7.5 - Impressive on the right wing, great going forward and linked up well with Hoyte on the right. Got into the box and frightened defenders.Indeed, I was surprised by the fact that he successfully brought us width on the right hand side in the second half - Agreed
Hoyte - 7 - Good going foward, good end product, defensively solid, linked well with Eboue.His supporting role to Eboue was nicely executed while being solid at his defensive task - 7.5
Hleb - 7.5 - Very sharp again today, his quick feet getting him out of tight spaces again today, following up a great performance against Salzburg. Should get involved in the play more though perhaps. I'd like to see him centrally or on the left in the coming season.Looked much better being played at the central position and got us the penalty by his marvelous run with the ball - Agreed
Traore - 6.5 - Good going forward, struggled defensively. Better as a left wing at the moment than a left back. He will only improve though defensively.Agreed
Gallas - 6.5 - Not bad, a comfortable 45 minutes for him. Slightly at fault for the PSG goal though in my opinion.Agreed
Randall - 6 - Not enough touches of the ball or playing time to impress.Agreed

dos1986

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
dos1986 said:
Long Time Gooner said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:

Sounds like Jelen,who yes could be quicker than Odonkor......I have heard alot about this fella,a Polish guy that works with me,says he's great....Im still suprised by this though,as Odonkor has looked hella fast everytime I have seen him,I will look for hightlights of that game...

Jameel46

Established Member
GUNNERS4L1FE said:
First Half
Sagna---Toure---Senderos--Clichy-
Flamini--Denilson-Cesc---Diaby-
-----------Bendtner---RVP------

2nd Half

Hoyte---Gallas--Senderos---Traore--
Eboue--Diaby--Hleb---Denilson--Clichy (Randall)----
--------------------Bendtner--------

senderos backi in it it seems ;) , but honestly which of the two partnerships looked better, and was it atleast better than Gallas + Toure? because ying/yang combination suggests that it would be better.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom