• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: River Plate vs Arsenal | 31/07/04

KingReyes

Established Member
This game was a real bore, but it was still a joy to watch after so long without watching the boys. I was really impressed with Reyes, Clichy, Cesc and Van Persie. Despite the latter two I've mentioned weren't as good as the first two they still looked like they can do the job once they settle down in the first team. Also impressed with that Eboue guy, he is something going forward, but needs to keep an eye on defending too.

Also a big shout to DB10, really happy to see him get that ovation.

johe

I can't believe so many of you are slagging of Cygan. :|
In my opinion he's a good centre-back. He gets the same kind of stick that Gilberto gets (or used to get) because he isn't spectacular, and it's all because of that he had a bad first season here. I hate to say this so many times, but our best defensive performances last year came with him in the team.

I'll get my coat.

Chips&CurrySauce

Obviously you can't take too much from a game like this, but I think our youngsters did quite well, when you consider the average age of the side was only 21.

Reyes for sure was our best player on the night but I was also very impressed with Cesc. For only 17 he showed alot of confidence and wanted the ball all the time, he also never seems to waste a pass. For me Cesc is already almost ready for the first team football.

Van Persie started well but I felt he was trying too hard to impress, often he was attempting a dificult move or trying to play the perfect pass when it wasn't really on. He clearly has talent however and no doubt when he relaxes a bit more he'll pick the right moment for his tricks.

Senderos looked solid and with more games will undoubtedly get better and better.

Even Flamini, although didn't do much, seems to have nice close control and technique. I have a good feeling about Mathieu.

Jeffers was poor, bad control and when he doesn't take his chances of which he had 2, then he has no role in the team at all.

Alumnia also looked very comfortable, although not tested, what he had to do he did well, for me he looks far better than Taylor who has never impressed me to be honest.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't believe so many of you are slagging of Cygan.
In my opinion he's a good centre-back. He gets the same kind of stick that Gilberto gets (or used to get) because he isn't spectacular, and it's all because of that he had a bad first season here. I hate to say this so many times, but our best defensive performances last year came with him in the team.

I'll get my coat.

Cygan definately had a good game, by his standards. He made some crucial interceptions but also a few errors that could have easily resulted in a River goal.

He is definately two times the player he was when he first joined - But i think he was over shadowed by Senderos's excellent performance which maybe explains why alot of people are slagging him off.

Personally I'd like to see Senderos as 1st choice backup and Cygan as 2nd.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lee1001 said:
Senderos, for such a tall guy is incredibly skillful and looked very composed and comfortable on the ball (unlike Cygan of course who is completely the opposite). Barely misplaced a pass all night, made some great blocks and was good in the air. For the first time i see what all the fuss is about with this guy

of our four defenders, cygan is probably the best on the ball.

nnaife

patrick42uk said:
lee1001 said:
Senderos, for such a tall guy is incredibly skillful and looked very composed and comfortable on the ball (unlike Cygan of course who is completely the opposite). Barely misplaced a pass all night, made some great blocks and was good in the air. For the first time i see what all the fuss is about with this guy

of our four defenders, cygan is probably the best on the ball.

Both central defenders made potentially bad mistakes yesterday but Senderos has a very reasonable excuse about being inexperienced and young, he definitely will improve with time.

Cygan will cost us at a more competitive level and is definitley too ****e to be relied upon he panics under pressure and is often caught out of position and on top of this he's exceedingly slow.

Sorry but its definitely bye Bye baldy as far i'm concerned

johe

Uhm, by what do you judge that Cygan will "cost us", nnaife? Panics under pressure? Inter 1 Arsenal 5, does that ring a bell? Or perhaps one of his other 18(or was it 24?) outstanding performances for us last year? He definetly does not get caught out of position very often, and like partrick42uk says, he is very good on the ball for a centreback. He and Toure possess ability on the ball, Sol doesn't, Keown didn't. He is slow compared to our other players, but that is basically his only weakness.

Sonic Youth

might well have been the worst arsenal match i've ever witnessed.
not a shot on target, wenger only played reserves (+bergkamp, van persie and reyes). i was sitting in the f-side and i think you guys in the away section could have sung some more songs, especially for robin van persie who got booed by the ajax fans. you weren't too shy to sing, were you?
i hope Arsène just saved his good players for the match against ajax and we'll see some more action in that game.

A

Anonymous

cygan is a better defender for european matches where the pace of the game is slower whereas in the epl he can get caught out but hes definately a compotent enough defender ; ppl shouldnt slag him off cos id rather have him than wes brown anyday

brianfrance

Established Member
I went to the match :D (thank you arjan :wink: )
Well; quite boring match for arsenal. Reyes looks very good; Cygan except his fake pass did not mistakes. Cesc is surely too young but he's one of the hottest propect. Eboue also looks good.
Famini had nothing to do, so he did nothing. I really hope he'll play the full match against Ajax
By the way; the ajx vs pana was really nice to see. Ibrahimovic is a special player without any doubt. He's world class. Scored 1 and was "dans le coup" for the 2 others.
I'm really pleased for the day in Amsterdam !!!
Few pic which I took yesterday :

2-picture3.jpg

A friend gooner (on the right) and me (mmm, on the left no ? :mrgreen: )
3-picture1.jpg

3-picture2.jpg

3-picture3.jpg

4-picture1.jpg

4-picture2.jpg

4-picture3.jpg

5-picture1.jpg

5-picture3.jpg

5-picture2.jpg

nnaife

johe said:
Uhm, by what do you judge that Cygan will "cost us", nnaife? Panics under pressure? Inter 1 Arsenal 5, does that ring a bell? Or perhaps one of his other 18(or was it 24?) outstanding performances for us last year? He definetly does not get caught out of position very often, and like partrick42uk says, he is very good on the ball for a centreback. He and Toure possess ability on the ball, Sol doesn't, Keown didn't. He is slow compared to our other players, but that is basically his only weakness.

well the Inter result was not down to cygan's defending, the whole team played very well that night and it was kolo if memory serves me right was the champion at the back not cygan.

Cygan always passes the ball into trouble from defence
He's indecisive when under pressure and just is not confident in his own ability to hang onto the ball.

Campell and Kewon are not ball players but they are bloody great defenders and are always dependable, solid and decisive.
They know exactly what to do when under pressure in defence and are rarely out of position.

Campell was never beaten for pace.

I would always pick and solid defender over a slow sloppy ball playing defender who lacks confidence.

There are a lot of better defenders on in the market for wenger to chose from.

A

Anonymous

Cygan was ****ing awful his first year, last season he was better but by no means outstanding, he is an average defender, nothing more, nothing less, he isnt good enough for our firsts choice sub, we either need to buy another back up who is more capable, or hope hoyte and senderos can do the business.
Hoyte has played 2 games at centre back and looked good, he is also very good at right back and i still feel that is his natural position.
Its funny how people on this board are making huge analysis on players who they have only seen play twice, think some here should watch more of these players or shut up.

Aussie

Established Member
theguvnor said:
Cygan was f****g awful his first year, last season he was better but by no means outstanding, he is an average defender, nothing more, nothing less, he isnt good enough for our firsts choice sub, we either need to buy another back up who is more capable, or hope hoyte and senderos can do the business.
Hoyte has played 2 games at centre back and looked good, he is also very good at right back and i still feel that is his natural position.
Its funny how people on this board are making huge analysis on players who they have only seen play twice, think some here should watch more of these players or shut up.

People do the same thing with JP

calvinngai88

great pics, brianfrance. many people say cygan was awful in his first year. i wonder if anyone still remembers his debut match, against PSV in CL, when Keown was injured. He did pretty well. After that, his performances were below par. :roll:

johe

nnaife said:
johe said:

well the Inter result was not down to cygan's defending, the whole team played very well that night and it was kolo if memory serves me right was the champion at the back not cygan.

Cygan always passes the ball into trouble from defence
He's indecisive when under pressure and just is confident in his own ability to hang onto the ball.

Campell and Kewon are not ball players but they are bloody great defenders and are always dependable, solid and decisive.
They know exactly what to do when under pressure in defence and are rarely out of position.

Campell was never beaten for pace.

I would always pick and solid defender over a slow sloppy ball playing defender who lacks confidence.

There are a lot of better defenders on in the market for wenger to chose from.

First of all, I agree that the whole team play very well against Inter, but Cygan was rock solid that night, there's no denying that. He may not be on the level of Sol Campbell, but then again, how many back-up players are? He is just that, a solid back-up. By no means is he a world-beater, but he is NOT a bad defender, and his passing is not sloppy. It's hard to find a top-class defender who will sit on the bench for most of the year, and even with Cygan we are pushing the limit. You can't judge him from last nights performance anyway, it's only a friendly after all. If you saw all of Arsenal's games last year, you would see that he is quite good, not outstanding, but his positioning is good and he's adequate 1st choice back up in my opinion.

Of course, you are entitled to think whatever you like about Cygan, but did we even lose a game he played in last year? I'm sure we did, but I can't remember it.

Top Bottom