• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Sturm Graz vs Arsenal | 28/07/04

patrick42uk

Established Member
calvinngai88 said:
Well, Ali's good with the ball, though may not get the finishing move, he does give Wenger the impression "Give me some time to get the goals." As for Jeffers, his performance wasn't as good as Ali's and didn't prove much that he can get some goals.

no, ali gives YOU the impression that he can get some goals. i agree that ali is better on the ball, but surely wenger knew what jeffers was like on the ball when he splashed out 8 million on him? he must have accepted his level on the ball then. ali's performances are better than jeffers? which ones exactly? against liverpool he was average, same as against man utd. he did better against boro for the half he played in, but not enough for me to justify a place ahead of jeffers. which leads on to my next point. jeffers didnt get goals? he suffered injury problems like ali, but you would find he has scored substantially more than aliadiere for arsenal.

calvinngai88

Both Aliadiere and Jeffers get goals in reserves, both are injury-prone so to speak, same build - skinny. It's real hard to compare these 2 players. Both have their own qualities. However Aliadiere's given more chances to perform than Jeffers. He even got a goal against Inter in the CL. Maybe that really diverts attention to him that he's better than Jeffers and therefore gets the nod ahead of Jeffers. Wenger's been trying out Jeffers and he got a bagful of goals that would prove critical to his future at Arsenal.

Wenger has got all in his mind. Who's ahead of who currently, we really don't know.

Sol man

patrick42uk said:
calvinngai88 said:
Well, Ali's good with the ball, though may not get the finishing move, he does give Wenger the impression "Give me some time to get the goals." As for Jeffers, his performance wasn't as good as Ali's and didn't prove much that he can get some goals.

no, ali gives YOU the impression that he can get some goals. i agree that ali is better on the ball, but surely wenger knew what jeffers was like on the ball when he splashed out 8 million on him? he must have accepted his level on the ball then. ali's performances are better than jeffers? which ones exactly? against liverpool he was average, same as against man utd. he did better against boro for the half he played in, but not enough for me to justify a place ahead of jeffers. which leads on to my next point. jeffers didnt get goals? he suffered injury problems like ali, but you would find he has scored substantially more than aliadiere for arsenal.
Yes and which of Jeffers performances have been better than Ali's? I don't remember a man of the match performance from franny in an arsenal jersey. At least Ali has shown of glimpses of what he can do in the Carling cup. I have also heard Jeffers has a rotten attitude(most of you like to slag pennant off for this but it seems like its ok for jeffers).

voomboom

Jeffers wanted to leave arsenal and showed a lack of comitment. I'm not saying that ali deserves to be ahead of anyone, but he comes from almost exactly the same football playing background as anelka, henry and cisse, and he's a very similar type of player. I suppose Jeffers comes from the same background as fowler, shearer and owen, but he's been at highbury for ages and hardly done anything when he's had the chance.

At least ali wants to earn his place. Oh, and he's not prone to getting sent off when the game's not going his way either.

Andrew

KoLo28 said:
johe said:
GoonerGurjit said:
Another friendly.....another win! Good to see Jeffers scoring again. He might have a future at Arsenal after all. I'm surprised that Flamini hasn't figured yet.

I don't see how though, He's behind the likes of Henry, God, Reyes, Ali, v. Persie if you count him as a striker. So he's like 6th choice now.. unless of course v. Persie or Reyes will be midfielders.

Very good to see fran the man score, alot of potential as ive always said. people on here are unfairly critical of him, even when he scores, its pathetic. why should ali be infront of him? he's done jack s**t.

Well you're being unfairly critical of Aliadiere.

I know what you mean, a lot of people just write him off. Jeffers potentially has a future at Arsenal, but his performances to date haven't suggested that he's good enough. Of course I believe anyone can turn anything around so I won't write off Jeffers.

But I think you're being harsh on Ali who has worked hard to earn his spot. He hasn't done "jack ****", like you said and that annoys me because you can't defend Jeffers and say that Ali's done "jack ****" when he's done at least as much as Jeffers in his limited time on the pitch.

Andrew

patrick42uk said:
jeffers didnt get goals? he suffered injury problems like ali, but you would find he has scored substantially more than aliadiere for arsenal.

Three more goals in fact. Jeffers has 8 goals while Ali has 5. Most of them came in the cups. And Jeffers has played almost double the matches that Ali has. And I won't go into the fact that Jeffers wasted so many chances in some of the matches that he scored in as well and I might be accused as being a Jeffers basher.

There might be a small case for defence for Jeffers but I can't defend him but as I said I won't write him off. But as far as I'm concerned he has just as much to prove as Ali to be worthy of a first team spot.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Andrew said:
patrick42uk said:
jeffers didnt get goals? he suffered injury problems like ali, but you would find he has scored substantially more than aliadiere for arsenal.

But as far as I'm concerned he has just as much to prove as Ali to be worthy of a first team spot.

which is all i ask for. i sense a feeling of prejudice against jeffers which i feel is unjustified. aliadiere receives more praise and adulation despite clearly not being as productive as jeffers.

lewdikris

Established Member
There's no question that Jeffers has become an object of derision unfairly. He never let us down or ****ed anything particularly important up. He just didn't do as well as we expected is all.

O, and he has big ears.

But that's about it.

It's just easy to take the piss out of gobby scousers.

A

Anonymous

Neither are going to be good enough imo.

Anyway hope to see them both in dam. Off to the airport now, Arsenal in Amsterdam, can it get any better?

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Jeffers is a quality finisher, and given a chance he would score a bucketful of goals. Not sure whether he fits into our system or not though.

Aliadiere seems to get more praise than Fanny, because of the fact that he graduated from Clairefontaine, and seem to play in a similar way to Anelka, that some of us fans are hoping he can live upto those expectations. He hasn't done much, but neither has Franny.

They have both got a lot of potential, and need to live upto it. Hopefully there will be a lot of competition for places, and it will prove to be the best thing for the club.

KoLo28

You have a point Adam, I guess it was unfair. I just get annoyed that on this board you only hear great things about Ali, but whenever jeffers' name gets mentioned all you hear is jokes about him and that we should sell to some 1st division team for what ever we can get etc.. when really their's not alot between them, but I feel jeffers should be ahead of him.

A

Anonymous

very good question, why should ali be in front of jeffers? i'd really appreciate if one of the jeffers bashers could reply to that. they have both faced injury problems but jeffers scoring record is impressive in the first team. all we have for aliadiere is his impressive scoring record at reserve level, but jeffers was equally impressive at the level. he also has a good scoring record in the premiership as well as u-21 level. so why is ali ahead of him?
Maybe because Ali is a better player, wenger likes him ahead of jeffers now so obviously ali is better eh!
So what jeffers has scored 3 more goals, how many more chances has he had than ali. Jeffers had a few seasons in the EPL for everton so knows the game, but ali has to get used to it. Ali is undoubtably a good talent and i feel better than jeffers. Ali hasnt got the chance thats why he has done "jack ****" as you put it. Really, i would say jeffers has done even less as he is the experiences one yet he still struggles at PL level.

A

Anonymous

which is all i ask for. i sense a feeling of prejudice against jeffers which i feel is unjustified. aliadiere receives more praise and adulation despite clearly not being as productive as jeffers
Since when has jeffers been productive?

efurze

Didn't Jeffers just spend an entire season on loan and do f*ck all? If he can't start for Everton how does he expect to play for us?

calvinngai88

efurze said:
Didn't Jeffers just spend an entire season on loan and do f*ck all? If he can't start for Everton how does he expect to play for us?

Well, you can't base on his performances in Everton. Look at what kind of players are there in Everton to provide Jeffers to get a decent goal? Depend on Li Tie? McFadden? Gravesen? Nyarko?

Hopefully, there'll be once when Jeffers and Ali are out there together being the strikers at Amsterdam since Vieira, Campbell and Henry are now doubtful for season openers. Then, Wenger shall see how they perform, before he decides who is ahead of the other.

Chips&CurrySauce

This is a tough question as we have not seen the best of either player. It is true that Jeffers receives over the top criticism but it is also true that he has let himself down with respect to his attitude but there is no doubting he is a great finisher. It is also true that Wenger rates Aliadiere greatly, so I trust Wengers opinion on this, although having said that, other than the Carling cup game against Wolves Ali hasn't really impressed me. He just seems to be too weak.

Jeffers does give us different options as he is the only out and out striker, box player we have. You can argue that Thierry, Jeremie, Reyes, Dennis and Van Persie all enjoy to drop off and drift to the flanks, whilst Jeffers is the only one who will do most of his work in the penalty box.

Having said that I do envisage Jeffers moving on as I feel Wenger has lost confidence in the player, but I still beleive he has got talent and given a fresh start at a decent club I'm sure he'll score a fair few goals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom