General Reserves Talk

Discussion in 'The Arsenal Academy Page' started by M+D, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Unrelated but can't decide if it's worth a thread. We've apparently got rid of as many as 8 people from the recruitment staff including head of youth recruitment.

2. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Morrow going is interesting. Perhaps they want to do more to match Chelsea and currently Palace' recruitment in London. I think our coaching in that time has improved a lot but perhaps we need even stronger recruitment in order to bolster the options available when promoting to the 1st team.

Very interesting.

3. MutableEarth

Azeez last minute equaliser

Vanfrothan likes this.
  4. MutableEarth

Fabulous interview with Marcel Lucassen. Arguably the most important person in our youth set-up - credited as one of the architects of the resurgence of German football post-2006.

I'm gonna expand more on the article when I am home so I can read it again.

5. MutableEarth

Here's the full interview:

I underlined the significant parts of the interview - or at least that were of interest to me. To me, Lucassen's philosophy on coaching doesn't appear to be very different from Wenger's but there is a method here by which he is looking to teach both our players and coaches - emphasising intelligence and being able to coach among themselves. We did talk about Vieira ignoring Wenger's tactics, but in essence it is not exactly something Wenger tried to prevent - in fact that's probably what he wanted Vieira to do anyway. He was about letting the players express themselves.

Lucassen here seems to be looking to implement a stronger framework with which to work this ideology around, which is something I've advocated for since before the academy was due an overhaul. His role as a technical coach and consultant for both Hoffenheim and the German FA really backs up his credentials and I'm eager to see what kind of development comes from within. Physically, tactically and technically, we could see newer generations of our academy become even stronger as a result, creating a talent pool which we can easily bring into first team focus as well as for resources.

Here's something I just found aswell:

Gonna have a quick read of this before bed. I like to see interviews like this, gives me hope for the future. We need more people like this closer to the first team to strengthen the players we already have.

Toby Andrl likes this.
  6. MutableEarth

Jeorge Bird report from yesterday:

Big fan of Smith - he has grown on me a lot since the first time I saw him. Very technical, superb passer - perhaps even better than Burton at it. Smith does need to work on dealing with physical midfielders though, he's had the run-around from quite a few since coming up to the U18s but he is improving a lot regardless, and is the kind of clever player we could always do with. Was the captain and an important figure in the U18 team last season that won the PL south title.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  7. Afro Mugo

Afro Mugo Member

Smith looks like one of those players who'll go under the radar in youth football but come into life in first team football. When I think of him , I think of Harry Winks (I know , he's a c***) . Winks went under the radar at youth level. At the age of 20 he had only played about 3 games for S***, 30 at the age of 21; but his techinichal qualities solely enabled him transition to first team where playing with Sissoko and Wanyama, gifted athletes covered for his physical limitations until a point where he's grown physically and become more intelligent tactically. At youth level teams are rarely balanced. Smith regularly played with Cottrell and Azeez plus Swanson and Lopez at fullback who are more technical than they are physical hence all their deficiencies glare at your eyes . At first team level , teams are more balanced and I feel it'll allow his technical qualities to shine. He's grown a lot physically this year, he looks bigger and taller . He needs a lot of luck on his side though . He's a superb passer of the ball from deep, better than Burton, and I feel he's role in u18s superb season was underrated because of Balogun exploits.

Vanfrothan and MutableEarth like this.
  8. MutableEarth

I think hes fine next to one of Azeez or Olayinka. Azeez takes it easy but hes a pretty powerful athlete once he gets going. Olayinka is a good runner aswell and always gives you good work rate and intelligence. Alongside similar midfielders to himself and it can be a bit samey.

He is defo looking a lot bigger though. Seems to have gotten wider shoulders and looks like he can keep possession. Hes been at the weights. I dont mind that as he isn't that quick but needs to continue being agile in possession aswell. I like him more than Burton aswell tbh and Balogun overshadowed all the other impressive performers last year (Smith, Clarke, Cottrell, McGuiness, Coyle etc).

Geofranco and Afro Mugo like this.
  9. MutableEarth

Trae Coyle beginning to show his talent again. Might have travelled.