• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gennaro Gattuso

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I don't normally flat out say no, but in this case, NO.

1. Old'ish
2. Declining
3. Expensive wages (I suspect)
[4. Sloppy seconds... ]

Alfonso

Established Member
Glovegun said:
I'd take him.

So would I.

Put it this way, signing Gattuso is better than having no replacement for Flamini and is better than hanging on to Gilberto as well.

Gattuso, may have not had the best season this year but that has been mainly down to injuries. But you cannot forget this time last year he helped Milan win a CL and gave world class performances against Man Utd. Even now if he doesnt give world class performances it doesnt mean he is suddenly 'past it'. I for one think he is not, and you will see that in the Euros, as he usually plays his best football in the big games for club and country. Even recentley against France and Scotland I thought he was brilliant.

I think Gattuso would be a wise acquisition and would do well for us at least for one season. Many people on here were against signing Davids as a stop-gap replacement for Vieria because of the very same reasons ppl now dont want Gattuso, but Davids proved, in his first season at least, that he was a good transfer for Sp**s. Lets not forget Chelsea signed Makelele at 30 and 5 years later he is still going strong.

If we indeed signed him we would also benefit from the fact that a) He's a proven winner. b) He is combative enough to compete in the EPL. Some could say he is taylor made for the English league and he will relish the opportunity and challenge. He will eat players like Anderson alive! c) He's experienced d) He has won everything in the game and has been there and done that, which is the kind of player we desperately need at the moment. When our players look around and see Gattuso it will give them a lift in moments of adversity. e) I beleive he can make an excellent partnership with Cesc. Two battle-hardened generals fighting for the Arsenal together in the middle of the park. Just what the doctor ordered!

kooldawg

Established Member
He'd also add experience to our squad depth. If he can accept not starting all the time and coming off the bench then imo he'd be a decent signing especially with Flamini gone.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
Id take him, basically Alfonso has stated why, but if we arent going to buy a direct replacement to Flamini then rotating between him and Gilberto/Denilson/Song, seems like a good option. You wouldnt have to worry about tired legs then either. The only reason not to take him is if his wage demands are unreasonable. Ive heard Bayern are getting him though.

Bergy_1995

He'd add vital experience to the midfield and there's no doubting his commitment on the pitch. He's dogged. 30 years old? That's ok. He's got a good few seasons left in him. He also could be a stop-gap and possibly help the development of potential defensive mids coming through. I remember Wenger after a similar stop-gap-type-player in Dacourt when he was at Roma, after Vieira's departure I think. Gattuso is twice maybe three times the player Dacourt is and this time 'round I think going for Gattuso would be very, very wise.

kamikaze80

Established Member
hes the type of signing that poorly run clubs make. rapidly depreciating, playing skills are declining, high wages. you wont be able to recoup the transfer fee cos he'll be too old. youre essentially paying for what hes already done for other clubs, rather than what he will do for yours.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
kamikaze80 said:
hes the type of signing that poorly run clubs make. rapidly depreciating, playing skills are declining, high wages. you wont be able to recoup the transfer fee cause he'll be too old. youre essentially paying for what hes already done for other clubs, rather than what he will do for yours.
Exactly, it's a Chelsea signing and to suggest that we should get him is knee jerk. People have made flowery arguments in favour, but thankfully I can't see Wenger pulling the trigger on this at all. Good.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
I understand the reasons Alfonso pointed out, but man, I watched him play maybe 10 matches this season, and he just looked reaaaaaaaaally old.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why did you think that pensioner's club wanted to replace Gattuso, a fan's favourite, with Flamini? Getting a Milan reject is not a good idea.

godfather

kamikaze80 said:
hes the type of signing that poorly run clubs make. rapidly depreciating, playing skills are declining, high wages. you wont be able to recoup the transfer fee cause he'll be too old. youre essentially paying for what hes already done for other clubs, rather than what he will do for yours.

Flamini and perhaps Hleb?

ricky1985

Established Member
EMIR8_SOLDIER said:
http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=689408

Looks like Rino has agreed to join milan on a four year deal. Nothing official yet but it looks more than likely now

Join Bayern Munich mate.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom