• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast Incarnate

He's been alright since coming back, but of course slating him is the fashionable thing to do.

In the match day thread against Norwich, someone called him 'the worst player on the pitch' even though he was one of our better players.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think he’s sh*t and can’t wait for him to go, none of the above has convinced me otherwise.
I hate that he told the fans to eff off, threw the armband on the floor and he’s still here.
Granted, the fans have treated him wrong but still he was wrong also.
I don’t see what the coaches see in him. I’m just not on it at all soz lads *shrugs*

Fallout

offensively extremely good in the last two games. passing is quick accurate and crisp.

two question marks though:

how much of this is down to proving the fans wrong (i.e. is his form temporary or sustainable)? because this version of xhaka is a massive upgrade.

how responsible is he (or not) for our insane recent defensive frailty?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think last game was better than average. He didn’t see a red card, didn’t give away a penalty and didn’t even get booked if I remember correctly. He had some good passes and didn’t give away any cheap free kicks in dangerous positions. Overall if he played like that week in and out I would consider him an adequate squad player we could keep or let go without much impact on the team.

Unfortunately that is not what he has shown over the three or so years he has been an Arsenal player. For a deep sitting play maker and / or defensive shield he is bad at both and can do neither. He is simply too slow and not athletic enough. He cannot tackle not can he turn with the ball at his feet. He is terribly one footed. Compare him to someone like Cazorla. It is like day and night.

Again, yesterday wasn’t a bad game by him, but if this is enough to earn praise then by God have we sunken low!

Kysus

Has been immense vs Brighton.
People denying that are either blind, clueless, brainwashed or all of the above.

Still getting outplayed by frigging Brighton just shows how bad we are collectively.
Nice job coaching wengerball out of this team Emery, integrating headless-chicken back-off ball

Pepes blue pill

Has been immense vs Brighton.
People denying that are either blind, clueless, brainwashed or all of the above.

Still getting outplayed by frigging Brighton just shows how bad we are collectively.
Nice job coaching wengerball out of this team Emery, integrating headless-chicken back-off ball

He was one of the better players, probs the best on the day, no one was immense ffs, hyperbole at its worst

Ewarwoowar

He has some positive things that often go unnoticed, his passing game is underrated and despite what some says, he does have great positining.
Watch this video, pretty much sums up why all managers he's ever trained under has liked him.
Wow, I can't believe we have so many strong players off the pitch, we are set,,, wait,,,,,, what???:confused:

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
He literally has one decent game & the Xhaka bandwagon squad is out in full force. Suddenly now his passing is 'underrated':rofl:, he has elite positional awareness:lol:
If he has another barely decent game I'm expecting him to suddenly develop some other qualities such as being one of the fastest players in the world, always making the correct decision, being dominant in the air etc.

(Btw let's all forget the atrocious mistake near the end of the game which should've cost a goal, that never happened;))

DasBootist

He literally has one decent game & the Xhaka bandwagon squad is out in full force. Suddenly now his passing is 'underrated':rofl:, he has elite positional awareness:lol:
If he has another barely decent game I'm expecting him to suddenly develop some other qualities such as being one of the fastest players in the world, always making the correct decision, being dominant in the air etc.

(Btw let's all forget the atrocious mistake near the end of the game which should've cost a goal, that never happened;))
Forget his performances under Emery, that slate is wiped clean. The two games he's played for Ljungberg has been above average and he should keep his place.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Forget his performances under Emery, that slate is wiped clean. The two games he's played for Ljungberg has been above average and he should keep his place.

A good game for Xhaka isn't good enough for a premiership midfield. He is too easily bypassed and he isn't progressive enough. Apply a little pressure to him and the ball is going backwards or sideways. He is one of the main reasons we seriously lack athleticism in midfield and his so called structure of standing in one place and passing the ball to full backs isn't enough to warrant him a starting place.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Did that atrocious mistake near the end of the game against Brighton happen under Emery? Is 'above average' supposed to be good enough for a club like Arsenal?
Find out on the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
A good game for Xhaka isn't good enough for a premiership midfield. He is too easily bypassed and he isn't progressive enough. Apply a little pressure to him and the ball is going backwards or sideways. He is one of the main reasons we seriously lack athleticism in midfield and his so called structure of standing in one place and passing the ball to full backs isn't enough to warrant him a starting place.
Ironically Guendouzi basically suffers from these exact same flaws yet you're listing him as the answer in other threads. When will you all realise we simply do not have the options to balance this midfield.

DasBootist

Ironically Guendouzi basically suffers from these exact same flaws yet you're listing him as the answer in other threads. When will you all realise we simply do not have the options to balance this midfield.
I want to see Willock in Guendouzi/Xhaka's place with possibly Smith-Rowe behind the front three. I know Ljungberg rates Willock so hopefully that will happen soon.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

I dunno Mark. I think Guendouzi has a better engine than Xhaka but I guess @The_Playmaker was directly responding to the acceptance of "above average" performance levels from Xhaka as justification for his output.

You're right though that we are lacking midfield balance. We don't have enough of a blend of physical maturity and technical ability to progress between the lines. The only player who has sufficient guile and athleticism to beat the press (Willock) is being used as some kind of pseudo deep lying forward and just getting in everybody's way.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I dunno Mark. I think Guendouzi has a better engine than Xhaka but I guess @The_Playmaker was directly responding to the acceptance of "above average" performance levels from Xhaka as justification for his output.

You're right though that we are lacking midfield balance. We don't have enough of a blend of physical maturity and technical ability to progress between the lines. The only player who has sufficient guile and athleticism to beat the press (Willock) is being used as some kind of pseudo deep lying forward and just getting in everybody's way.
Don't get me wrong. I actually like Guendouzi, I am just concerned we are burning out our best talent because we have no depth and no other options. He's also not improved much under Emery and needs a rest.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don't get me wrong. I actually like Guendouzi, I am just concerned we are burning out our best talent because we have no depth and no other options. He's also not improved much under Emery and needs a rest.

I share your concerns mate. We don't have enough energy nor defensive options in midfield.

I'm also not sure why we persist with two immobile midfielders in this 4-2-3-1 system either and don't just play 4-3-3 so we have an extra midfielder to shore up that space and provide another outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom