• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If his best attribute is his passing range or even his passing, it must be the most underused best attribute a player has ever had.

I don’t rate the player, but I’d seriously have no qualms about admitting he had a very good passing range if I saw it often enough, because there’s a lot of other stuff he’s useless at that wouldn’t excuse him. It’s like saying a striker is very accurate even though he scored 8 goals all season. It’s just words. I can appreciate he’s quite popular in the dressing room and, alongside Luiz, is one of the players the others probably prefer being there than not. But how many cheerleaders are we going to allow before we start actually looking to improve the team?

GDeep™

League is very weak
If his best attribute is his passing range or even his passing, it must be the most underused best attribute a player has ever had.

I don’t rate the player, but I’d seriously have no qualms about admitting he had a very good passing range if I saw it often enough, because there’s a lot of other stuff he’s useless at that wouldn’t excuse him. It’s like saying a striker is very accurate even though he scored 8 goals all season. It’s just words. I can appreciate he’s quite popular in the dressing room and, alongside Luiz, is one of the players the others probably prefer being there than not. But how many cheerleaders are we going to allow before we start actually looking to improve the team?
He was off in January until Arteta convinced him to stay. Think he’s here to stay now.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

As long as this guy is main man in midfield we’re not getting a sniff at top 4 tbh. Not sure what else there is to say really.

It’s actually no good that he’s just about the best we’ve got.

That’s the main thing, we really need quality mids.

Pyres7

Xhaka is still high on the list of players that need replacing for me. It's good that he's cut down on the mistakes, but frankly he shouldn't have been making them in the first place.

He has been a lot better since Arteta took charge but that's partly because Arteta has changed the formation purely to cover the weaknesses in our defense and midfield. But we've had to sacrifice an attacking player to do that.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He doesn’t have to necessarily leave (nobody wants him anyways).

Pretending he’s anything other than average is just bullsh*t and insulting tbh.

His few redeeming qualities and the win percentage we have when he’s in the team compared to when he’s not, just about stops me from calling this guy an outright liability. Luiz tier.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Would any of the Xhaka fanboys like to do a bet with me? I’m that confident that we will not finish in the top 4 if Xhaka is starting for us for the majority of next season. £50, I’m that confident Xhaka will block us from success.

I’m not betting because I don’t gamble out if principle, but I’m certainly going to love going through this thread and highlighting posts like these come end of the season. :drool:

I wxpect big things, big things indeed.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
I think we’ve arrived at ‘headed clearances’?

Nice. All those people clamoring for Vermaelen to play DM ways back are finally getting to watch the prolonged car crash that happens when you play a CB in midfield.

Since Xhaka signed the club has unsurprisingly fallen down the table. I honestly don’t understand what people see in him as all I see is a slow (both in movement and thought), limited player dragging us down given his position/importance in the team (Arsenal has finished 5th, 6th, 5th, and 8th in his time here as hes averaged 32.5 starts in the league each season). He’s useless when pressed, laborious on the ball when given time, and thoroughly unimaginative bar a couple times a match he successfully switches play to a fullback. I honestly can’t tell you what he brings to the side besides dependability/availability which ends up just hurting the team overall as he’s always out there putting in subpar performances. :lol:

I’ve watched some top end midfielders in my time as an Arsenal supporter and others who weren’t perfect but you could see what they brought and why they made sense despite their flaws/limitations, but it honestly blows me away that Xhaka is still here getting starts as he simply isn’t a good player. The sooner the team is shot of this dude/dud the sooner the club’s chances of achieving anything meaningful returns.

Manberg

Predator
Managers love him, you can’t deny that, Emery, and Arteta actually said he highlighted Xhaka for Man City.

Exactly. He was always played by Wenger too. These Xhaka agenda merchants aren’t going to get their way. Xhaka is one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s that highly rated by Arteta, as well as by fans who have a deep understanding of the game.

When Xhaka went off injured against City in the 5th or so minute in that 3-0 loss, you could see that look on Arteta’s face. It was “game plan ruined, it’s a loss”.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Exactly. He was always played by Wenger too. These Xhaka agenda merchants aren’t going to get their way. Xhaka is one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s that highly rated by Arteta, as well as by fans who have a deep understanding of the game.
People on here did say Xhaka would be off when Wenger left, then they said Emery has no choice but to play him, but now you have Arteta who is bit of an open Xhaka fanboy.

Players love him too. I don’t have a horse in this race, but we’re always better with him in the team.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

Again 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th with two sackings. How is Xhaka being one of the first names on the team sheet going for the club?

Since you claim to be one of those with a “deep understanding of the game” do tell what is Xhaka actually good at?

People on here did say Xhaka would be off when Wenger left, then they said Emery has no choice but to play him, but now you have Arteta who is bit of an open Xhaka fanboy.

Players love him too. I don’t have a horse in this race, but we’re always better with him in the team.

Emery wanted Partey, he didn’t get him and he was later sacked. Arteta took over mid season and Arteta still wants Partey. Clearly both identified midfield as somewhere that needed improving, so I’m not getting this thing where both were happy with Xhaka.

As for Arteta and Xhaka to me just like the situation with Luiz/Mustafi, Arteta came in a made the best of the situation (also knowing you’re not signing a starter in Jan) and set the team up to hide their flaws, but it was temporary and all three will be demoted/phased out as he knows they can/should be improved upon.

Manberg

Predator
5th, 6th, 5th, 8th with two sackings. How is Xhaka being one of the first names on the team sheet going for the club?

Since you claim to be one of those with a “deep understanding of the game” do tell what is Xhaka actually good at?

Emery wanted Partey, he didn’t get him and he was later sacked. Arteta took over mid season and Arteta still wants Partey. Clearly both identified midfield as somewhere that needed improving, so I’m not getting this thing where both were happy with Xhaka.

As for Arteta and Xhaka to me just like the situation with Luiz/Mustafi, Arteta came in a made the best of the situation and set the team up to hide their flaws, but it was temporary and all three will be demoted/phased out as he knows they can/should be improved upon.

Partey, if he comes, will play alongside Xhaka.

Attributing league finishes to one player is just amateurish. I’m not going to explain what he brings to the team yet again as I’ll be repeating myself. Look it up.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Again 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th with two sackings. How is Xhaka being one of the first names on the team sheet going for the club?

As for Arteta and Xhaka to me just like the situation with Luiz/Mustafi, Arteta came in a made the best of the situation (also knowing you’re not signing a starter in Jan) and set the team up to hide their flaws, but it was temporary and all three will be demoted/phased out as he knows they can/should be improved upon.
They want Partey to play alongside Xhaka.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Interesting. So none of the Xhaka fanboys wanna bet me? A lot of big talk on here but just like Xhaka and top 4 finish, they find a way to bottle it.
1. Xhaka fanboys don’t seem to understand that he’s the best of a bad bunch, not that he’s any good. We can’t function without him cos his replacements are a petulant child and a midget who can’t pass.
2. Xhaka and Partey together in midfield is a very defensive pivot. That’s something you expect to see from Emery not Arteta. Everyone knows how we lack creativity so why would we play to DMs together and expect creativity? He wants 2 attack minded midfielders and a lone 6. It’s either going to be Xhaka or Partey.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm not against selling xhaka, but at least we should have a replacement before doing so, a replacement like Roca/Cuisance/Tonali, who can serve the same tactical purpose.

Do you understand why managers (ex-arsenal, arsenal and international) all like to use Xhaka? He has a quality that serves a tactical purpose that only few players can replicate.

Tactical details is the most important aspect of the game in a manger’s or in a sophisticated fan’s eyes.

It’s like having a team with 11 Mertesacker, and you want to play counter attack football. One day Walcott joins your team. Yes, Walcott always makes mistakes, he is a **** footballer and he always loses possession. But he serves the tactical purpose of playing counter attack, and you would be happy to have him in your team.

And Guardiola would not want Kante in his prime Barcelona, even if Kante offers much more defensive stability and athleticism than Busquets. Why? Because Kante would not be able to play his positional play (tiki taka) tactics. Kante couldn’t serve the tactical purpose of playing tiki taka.

What is in a manager’s mind?
Opponent set a high defensive line, I need Auba’s pace to exploit the space behind during counter attack. If Auba makes a run to exploit the space, who can make that 40 yards long pass to initiate the attack? Xhaka. Who else can? No one. If you don’t play Xhaka, your tactics is dead. As simple as this. You would want Xhaka in your team unless if someone else is capable of making the same type of pass.

No one says Xhaka is the best, but with the midfielders we are having now, he should be the first midfielder named on the starting lineup. If you think tactically, it’s hard not to see that this is the most logical choice. And it’s not just me, every managers he previously played with was thinking the same way, that’s why they picked him to play.

I don’t understand why most of you are so simple minded and just won’t think tactically. Unless if we get someone like Roca/Tonali /Cuisance, who serve the same tactical purpose to replace him, he will be played in almost every game. It’s fine to say he is not good enough or needed to be replaced. But at the moment, you can’t deny that he is a very important player to the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom