<

Granit Xhaka: Managers Love Him!

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Marjorie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Gunnerblog annoys the **** out of me but he writes for the Athletic often writes articles with Amy lawrence. .
    Was Michael Cox that made that claim anyway.

Riou likes this.
  2. blaze_of_glory

blaze_of_glory Moderator Moderator

It was Cox? I went by the reddit post saying it was J. Gunnerblog and then skipped through to the discussion on the podcast and couldn't really tell who was who talking.

celestis likes this.
  3. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

Edu has won league titles and won world cups with Vieira and Silva. There’s no way in hell he’d be okay with Xhaka as a starting midfielder for us. Man worked over time to bring in Partey for us.

4. RunTheTrap

Anyone else think Xhaka’s stock is falling? First time he’s being benched or substituted this season. Liverpool A, Sheffield H, City A where he didn’t play a full 90. And don’t give me that international break nonsense. What obligation does Arteta have to Switzerland? Moving on, Elneny’s resurgence has made Xhaka not so imperative to Arteta’s plans imo. Second time this season he’s been dropped back to a CB. Initially, I thought it was just for build up purposes but he seems like a defender. I’m not saying he’s being dropped but I do feel like this is the transition from a team that is not so dependent on Xhaka to survive. You don’t spend £50 million on Partey for banter. Clubs don’t spend big money on players to help weaker players, normally they replace them. We spent 55 on Lacazette to make Giroud redundant
    We spent 60 on Auba and Iwobi suffered. Etc etc.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  5. Gegen Pressing

Gegen Pressing Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite.
    He was subbed because overused.
    The last thing Arteta needs now is a MF crisis on top of a CB crisis on top of a ..
    mid table crisis.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  6. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Yeah you are actually correct, Cox was agreeing with him.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  7. blaze_of_glory

Second only to Leno in minutes played in all comps.
    Most minutes played of any of our midfielders in the League

https://fbref.com/en/squads/18bb7c10/2020-2021/all_comps/Arsenal-Stats-All-Competitions

https://fbref.com/en/squads/18bb7c10/2020-2021/s10728/Arsenal-Stats-Premier-League

8. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Again looking at stats without taking the context. Partey was signed recently. Without him, we had only three senior midfielders while other teams had many options. With Partey now, how Arteta plans to choose his midfield still doesn't have enough clarity. Especially with the CB shortage we have now.

9. blaze_of_glory

The question was whether his stock appears to be falling within the team. Thus far the evidence is much the opposite.

10. RacingPhoton

Stocks are falling means he is not starting as regularly as before. Unlike the past where there was no chance he would have been dropped, now there is a chance that he could be. He has been substituted or benched more often, unlike before. So there is no point in comparing him with other team midfielders.

RunTheTrap likes this.
  11. Manberg

Manberg Predator

@Jury was right. Xhaka is droppable in Arteta’s view.

A shame. I remember him scoring a banger against Utd.

Jury likes this.
  12. RunTheTrap

I wasn't talking rubbish you know. Big away game at a top 4 rival and he's getting benched for Elneny. If we somehow win this game then this probably the end of Xhaka's time as a starter.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  13. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

According to Arteta pre-match its *rotational*, specifically mentioning Xhaka playing lots of minutes in the last few weeks. Hinted at them coming on second half if things go wrong.

That said that's pre-match manager speak. Who knows?

14. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

I’d play with 11 Xhaka’s as long as we won mate. I just tell it as I see it and try my best to be objective. If Xhaka proves at any point to be part of our strongest 11, he has to play whether I rate him or not. I’m Arsenal till I die at the end of the day.

15. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

RIP Xhaka’s Arsenal career

25 May 2016 - 1 Nov 2020

As expect Partey came in and ended the myth of this man. Buzzing over here.

RunTheTrap and RacingPhoton like this.
  16. RunTheTrap

17. blaze_of_glory

lol he's starting next game, get over it.

Very happy Elneny looks so good though.

Brett likes this.
  18. RacingPhoton

People writing essays and making podcasts about how Xhaka is Arteta's main man only to see him benched by Elneny.
    If you still think Xhaka will make the midfield better, I don't think any logical argument can change your mind. For a change, our midfield was winning balls, breaking out of press, showing urgency in moving the ball forward, helped out in both attack and defense by running quickly to and fro both sides of the pitch. In short, we actually dominated the midfield. Something, we forgot how to do with years of Xhaka. Time to move him on to Europa League and cup matches.

L3T5 PL4Y and RunTheTrap like this.
  19. RunTheTrap

My agenda is on fire today. My Ghanaian brother Partey ended Xhaka. My Dad was born in the same town as Partey. My house is rocking. First time in years we've won at Old Trafford. First time we have won at a top 6 rival since 2015. We haven't won at a top 6 ground since Xhaka came along in 2016. And to add insult to injury he's now Elneny's back up. Loooooooooooooool.

L3T5 PL4Y, Jury, Ibadan and 1 other person like this.
  20. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

We won, so all of us are I assume. Great performance by Elneny and Partey. Xhaka will have to get his way back in the team.

That said, he will automatically. As I predicted there's still gonna be lots of rotation this year. Both him and Ceballos will get both chances.

On the team performance as a whole, I'm not as happy as I should be. United had probably the worst team performance we played this year. There, I said it. Yet we only got to win it with a penalty. Not fully there yet.