• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

How would you 'improve' or change the football?

Hello,

One of the problem that I have with football these days is that it often feels staled, and for young people who are more and more playing quick and fast computer games or even watch them football can appear slow.

So I thought it might be interesting just for entertainment to discuss how you would try to improve or change the game football. The ideas can be as bizarre as you like too but you can also try to be reasonable with your ideas.

I have few ideas that might work or not!

1. Adding 12th player who could only stay in the opposition half.

2. When player get red card, the other team will play without one man less for 5 minutes, then the red card player can be subbed but the sub would cost two subs instead of one. The red card player would get longer ban if it was dangerous tackle.

3. Add 1 or 2 extra spots on the bench who would only be for young players. 1 sub from these 1 or 2 spots would be allowed even if all 3 subs have been used from the other 7 bench spots.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Sin bins would definitely speed the game up. Like 5 minutes for a yellow for example would get the other team attacking etc.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It would be fun to test few merit based changes.

Few example:
- Extra point for every 10 goals scored
- Minus 1 point for every 20 goals conceeded
- Minus 1 point for every 3rd red card
These could give incentives to teams to be more active and not fly into reckless fouls

Then also to scrap the away goal advantage (obviously )

Some other fun changes:
Throw ins from the areas outside (away from ) the opposition box can be kicks, but not forward. From areas near the box, still by hand.
After injury treatment, the player can get on pitch by instruction of 4-th ref, not wait for main ref

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Just need to go back to a time where the true ballers and entertainers can thrive.. The current trend is not promising, but it hopefully won't last long.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Salary Caps. Each team gets the same amount of money allowed for player salaries. No more PSGs, Man Citys etc.
Why should teams like City not be able to profit off their brand and success? Just because you support a smaller club with less revenue doesn't mean you get jealous and cry.

Lot of interesting and fun ideas. Make you think there actually are some changes needed to keep the football at top as a Sport!

Just saw this :

This will make for new experience for people to watch football and probably get the youth more interested!

DasBootist

Why should teams like City not be able to profit off their brand and success? Just because you support a smaller club with less revenue doesn't mean you get jealous and cry.
Man City were a small club until the previous decade. Their brand is what it is due to owner funding. A salary cap would only help the smaller clubs with no oil money, trying to compete.

Wherein lies the problem?

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Man City were a small club until the previous decade. Their brand is what it is due to owner funding. A salary cap would only help the smaller clubs with no oil money, trying to compete.

Wherein lies the problem?
Don't feed the troll. In no world, are we a smaller club then those parasites.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
One thing that might help entertainment is banning defences. Given that we've already tried it, means others might cotton on too.

Get more female linesmen and referees. We've got one and she absolutely slaughters the men in accuracy.

Ban male refs from having boobs. There are some, Jon Moss namely, who are clearly unfit.

Reduce ticket prices.

Ban oil clubs from everything.

Dissolve Manchester United

Knock Sp**s ground down and tell them to build it again, this time actually on time.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'm not one for making drastic changes to the game (I still haven't forgiven the NCAA for adding the shot clock and 3-point play for basketball in the 80s). But one thing I would like to see is a rule where a player who picks up a ball for a throw-in has to make the throw-in. I hate seeing guys pick up the ball, fake like they're going to throw it in, then drop it for another player to make the throw. It's often a time-wasting tactic late in games. Require somebody nearby to pick up the ball quickly and throw the damn thing in.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
But one thing I would like to see is a rule where a player who picks up a ball for a throw-in has to make the throw-in. I hate seeing guys pick up the ball, fake like they're going to throw it in, then drop it for another player to make the throw. It's often a time-wasting tactic late in games. Require somebody nearby to pick up the ball quickly and throw the damn thing in.

So true and to add to that is the time-wasting that occurs when freekicks (or corners) are about to be taken. It takes ages, for first players to go to the ball and only then a keeper or another one comes in and takes even more time, until he points to every one of them on where they should be as he hoofs the ball.

Time wasting is one of the most unethical acts in football and there are other dark arts that should be dealt with.
This article by Michael Cox has a good list of them
http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...iving-and-sneaky-fouls-that-make-a-difference

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
So true and to add to that is the time-wasting that occurs when freekicks (or corners) are about to be taken. It takes ages, for first players to go to the ball and only then a keeper or another one comes in and takes even more time, until he points to every one of them on where they should be as he hoofs the ball.

Time wasting is one of the most unethical acts in football and there are other dark arts that should be dealt with.
This article by Michael Cox has a good list of them
http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...iving-and-sneaky-fouls-that-make-a-difference

Great article. There are so many time-wasting tactics. The throw-in ploy is just arguably the most obvious of them. One thing Cox wrote was:

At some point, football might realise the extent of the problem and move toward the stopping clock prevalent in American sports.

I've actually considered this, not only because of time-wasting but because of the randomness of stoppage time (it certainly seems that some bigger teams are favored all too often, either with an extra minute or two when they're chasing or just running well past the original stoppage time -- Fergie time, you know).

NCAA men's and women's soccer does exactly this. They run the clock down from 45 minutes each half. They have a timekeeper who stops and starts the clock on the referee's whistle, just like in a basketball game. So the clock stops during injuries, after goals or whenever the ref deems it necessary.

I actually think it works pretty well. Some would probably argue that stopping the clock would interrupt the flow of the game, but it's stopped during times when nothing is happening and there is no flow to the game anyway. If you're only getting 45 to 67 minutes of actual playing time, flow is a pretty relative thing. So I think it could be something to consider.

The NCAA actually considered and tabled a proposal last year to switch to the normal model to be in line with FIFA, but the truth is that FIFA isn't always right (a huge understatement) and often is way behind the curve. There are ways to address all those dark arts if there was just the will to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom