• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

ICC: Arsenal v Chelsea | August 1, 2018 20:05 BST | Premier Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Sadly so. I want him to get more time though, too little time to do anything IMO.

I just wish he would play with the confidence that Hudson-Odoi has of late.

That right wing back experiment seems to have drained him of all exuberance. Hudson-Odoi just looks like a better player though, he's physical too.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

We made some really nice combinations of passes and actually had a lot of chances. (Allowed a lot of chances on the other side too). Finishing bellow-par as usual.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot

This is not how i remember the game at all. Yes, Bellerin was sh1t but the central defence did ok while Chelsea barely used their right side. Our defending on a couple of corners was poor of course but overall i would say that our main problem defensively was Bellerin.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger

This is not how i remember the game at all. Yes, Bellerin was sh1t but the central defence did ok while Chelsea barely used their right side. Our defending on a couple of corners was poor of course but overall i would say that our main problem defensively was Bellerin.
We were under the cosh for most of the first 20/25 minutes but with the odd exception of a rare Chelsea attack we dominated after that.

It's good to see how Emery changes things at half-time.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

We was all over the shop early on. Chelsea should've been out of sight.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This was a nice little test and there were good positives as well as negatives. Was quite an engaging friendly.

Defense really is a problem and I didn't realize just how much. I think the difficulties with full-back is more pertinent than CB though - Sokratis and Mustafi had fewer problems the longer the game went on. The full backs are seeing a lot of possession of the ball, likely because of how wide our spacing now is, but they just don't have enough about them to do anything substantial with it. Kolasinac is certainly braver on the ball than present-day Bellerin, but he's pretty brutal at times. Bellerin is the big disappointment though, as he frequently chooses the wrong choice in possession.

It pains me to say it but AMN will end up getting more games at full back than at CM, not just due to the bodies we still have in that position (I'm looking at you, Elneny) but because he can actually contribute to the attack consistently in that position. My only qualms is that he's quite bad at defending laterally in the way a full-back would. He's a CM through and through despite his versatility and we should really consider recruiting a couple of LBs. RB I'm not too worried about - with Jordi Osei-Tutu and Vontae Daley-Campbell, we have two fast improving young RBs with technique and physical skill.

Disappointed to see Elneny get so much time aswell. I wish him no ill will, but he's a player we really should sell. He is of no use for us anymore IMO, he should go somewhere that he can be useful.

Still, there were positives - our possession game is so much more structured than before. We still carve out pretty good chances for ourselves on top of that so those are small encouraging signs! Guendouzi in particular looks seamless in his role as roaming DLP, but he's got to work on his defensive game and perhaps be a little sharper about when he releases the ball in deeper areas. He's far more resistant to the press than Xhaka but that overconfidence can be flaw. Xhaka does not overestimate in that regard.

Özil looked really good aswell, made some good runs off the ball, pressed well and was effective whenever he got the ball in dangerous areas. Auba wasn't bad either but he's a bit like Theo in one regard - ineffective when the balls not in the final 3rd. Smith-Rowe was a bit overawed at times but grew in stature as the game went on and he looked like he could hang.

On a personal note, I'm really happy Nelson got another assist. We really need to see more of him if we aren't spending on a winger, and he has to get a chance to build some confidence. He was still looking a bit subdued today, he was game but could have been braver, particularly one instance where he made a good run into the box but when he received the ball, did an overhit cross rather than shoot for the far corner.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That right wing back experiment seems to have drained him of all exuberance. Hudson-Odoi just looks like a better player though, he's physical too.
Hudson-Odoi has a big frame, and uses it well. Nelson more slight and seems to be a lot more timid against the adult defenders. He should be using his acceleration more. Someone on twitter said it best: He's shown ability without imposing himself on the game. He really needs to work on the latter.

It was something that did happen at times when he was breaking into the U23 team as a regular - he would fade out of games at times, and not see much of the ball. I think that's the major problem IMO - he's not seeing enough of the ball, and he should try to do more work to isolate himself against the full-backs/CBs so he can get a good run at them, or at least attack the half space more like he did today.

I'm a huge Hudson-Odoi fan though, he's just so confident and knows he can beat players. I envision Xavier Amaechi being a similar kind of player at some point in the future, as well as Reiss Nelson. They just need confidence.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
We was all over the shop early on. Chelsea should've been out of sight.

They had two good opportunities + the penalty during the first 20 minutes. Bellerin was responsible for one of those opportunities and the penalty. Dont know who should be blamed for the goal but Bellerin, not our defence overall, was the big problem.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Hudson-Odoi has a big frame, and uses it well. Nelson more slight and seems to be a lot more timid against the adult defenders. He should be using his acceleration more. Someone on twitter said it best: He's shown ability without imposing himself on the game. He really needs to work on the latter.

It was something that did happen at times when he was breaking into the U23 team as a regular - he would fade out of games at times, and not see much of the ball. I think that's the major problem IMO - he's not seeing enough of the ball, and he should try to do more work to isolate himself against the full-backs/CBs so he can get a good run at them, or at least attack the half space more like he did today.

I'm a huge Hudson-Odoi fan though, he's just so confident and knows he can beat players. I envision Xavier Amaechi being a similar kind of player at some point in the future, as well as Reiss Nelson. They just need confidence.

Reiss got an assist while Hudson-Odoi got nothing against a terrible Bellerin.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
They had two good opportunities + the penalty during the first 20 minutes. Bellerin was responsible for one of those opportunities and the penalty. Dont know who should be blamed for the goal but Bellerin, not our defence overall, was the big problem.
Probably Smith-Rowe but we should consider man-marking on corners in which case he shouldn't have been up against Rudiger.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

Very impressed with Hudson. Reminds me a lot of zaha.
That peach of a cross he put on the plate late in the second half is the sort a top striker would thrive on.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
That Morata eh. Will cost Chelsea this season.

I know it's just a friendly but that game of his must worry Chelsea fans a bit. If he plays like that in the PL and they don't buy another striker they're screwed. You're allowed a shaky first season, you're absolutely not allowed to have a shaky second season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Reiss got an assist while Hudson-Odoi got nothing against a terrible Bellerin.
That is true, and like I said earlier, I'm extremely pleased he got one (that makes 3 assists so far this preseason). It's encouraging and shows that he can at least contribute when he starts playing confidently.

However, Hudson-Odoi only got nothing because Morata missed a pen that he [Hudson-Odoi] created, and Cech saved his 1-on-1. He tore Bellerin apart today and was unlucky to come away with nothing. He was impressive.

I will say - to counter my own argument for Hudson-Odoi - that he was afforded 80 mins from the start of the game, while Nelson had to settle for a 20 minute cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom