• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is Arsène Wenger Acting?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 1,058

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
all this wenger bashing is ultra-stupid. "wenger should have bought a defender in the summer". its all bullshit. his defence was the best in the ****ing league and you expected him to make changes? where's the sense in that. if it aint broke dont fix it as these yanks say. he couldnt have predicted that kolo would start learning from cygan.

A

Anonymous

gunnertilldeath said:
all this wenger bashing is ultra-stupid. "wenger should have bought a defender in the summer". its all bullshit. his defence was the best in the f****g league and you expected him to make changes? where's the sense in that. if it aint broke dont fix it as these yanks say. he couldnt have predicted that kolo would start learning from cygan.

So having cover for Sol Campbell now is "ultra-stupid"

we were lucky last season we stayed free of Sol getting injured, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have gone for cover for him!

Aussie

Established Member
Is just being childish. Wenger should have done this, should have done this. He should play him.

How do you know what went on in the transfer market over January.

vin de guerre

I think we should have kept Bruce Rioch. He knew what to say in interviews and sound bites! He would have made sure we would have a great working relationship with the press and Manure. In fact he might have won us a game or two as well!
Aussie you were totally out of order when you called the opening comments "stupid".
They're not stupid they are absolute B*ll*cks!!!

Aussie

Established Member
vin de guerre said:
I think we should have kept Bruce Rioch. He knew what to say in interviews and sound bites! He would have made sure we would have a great working relationship with the press and Manure. In fact he might have won us a game or two as well!
Aussie you were totally out of order when you called the opening comments "stupid".
They're not stupid they are absolute B*ll*cks!!!

Thank you.

Its a joke somebody having a go at Wenger for how he handles the media.

A

Anonymous

One of the major weaknesses of Wenger I think is that when we win things, we dont push on and improve.

He takes the logical view that we have a great squad, so why bother messing with it.

But we had the opportunity to become an even better squad. The same happened after the 98 double. Ian Wright was not propely replaced, meaning we had to rely to Wreh/Diawarra. Kanu was not brought in untill too late. This resulted in us not winning the league and the mancs the treble. We went backwards instead of forwards.

Petit was never properly replaced either untill we signed Gilberto. We played friggin Gilles Grimandi in centre mid. Didnt win anything for three years.

The same could be happening now. We had the chance to push on, but looks like we have not taken it again. I thought the signing of Reyes showed Wenger had taken up this belief, but the summer signing again showed a tendency for building for the tomorrow and not for today, and we are paying the price now.

A

Anonymous

his obviously acting how can u posibly b pleased with the game its West Brom at

home he just trys to show confidence in his players mayb he shud put them down

once in a while.

skart14

micky_sims said:
his obviously acting how can u posibly b pleased with the game its West Brom at

home he just trys to show confidence in his players mayb he shud put them down

once in a while.

Could you please stop using text language......its annoying

siddharth

"I never speak about my players when they make big mistakes. I never consider one player individually guilty of something. If somebody is guilty it's the manager, not the players. That's the way I like to see things.

Jose Mourinho

As much as he annoys me i really appreciate that comment. Hope wenger reads it too. ;)

Now this has nothing to do with criticizing players in the media , any top manager would never do it. But what coolcool2 is trying to highlight is the fact that we haven't improved in Europe , wenger starting players on the basis of their reputation , his late substitutions and other things.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
coolcool2 said:
Im sure Wenger will by defensive cover in January. You may have not notcied buts its not January now so he cant at the moment.

Exactly, that should have been done in the summer, so now we'll have to wait till January and keep dropping points.
If you hadn't noticed we had the best defensive record last season and there were no departure apart from Martin Keown who was a peripheral figure for us. There was no need to tamper with a winning formula and most of what is happening now is due to Gilberto being out. Not Sol because he was out for a period last seaon and Cygan played, and Lauren was also out for a period as well and Cygan played and during that time we had a very impressive record of like 4 goals conceded in 10 or so matches. So there really was no need to change it around. Note he only wanted to get in a right back and not a centre back. No one could have forseen our current midfield crisis so it wasn't his faault for not getting anpther one as when everyone is fit we have a hard enough time to get all of them into the first XVI.

We have given up leads. This is frusterating but im sure Wenger is drilling them over it. Its not his fault.
Whose fault is it that PROPER defensive cover wasn't bought in the summer?
Did you not notice we dodn't have all that much money then. Or do you think Arsène has this hidden magical money tree he is hiding from everyone. He didn't have money and even if he did at that point in time he didn't feel the need to get one. And the money we have now was freed up from the deal we made with Emirates a month or so ago so we didn't have and cash to splash.

We have missed a few chances but is it his fault that the players dont take them.

Whose fault is it then when the manager keeps playing the players who don't take their chances, and benches those that do!
So how are you so sure that RvP will take it any better than Bergkamp. He deserves his chance because he has been such a loyal servant to this club and can do everything that RvP can do except maybe run as fast. He has that experience and knows what is needed. For all his bad form I know who I'd pick in a big game situation and who I'd bet my house on to make a bigger impact in a crucial match. Don't get me wrong I love RvP and want to see him play soon but there has to be a reason he isn't playing doesn't there?

Van Persie will get his chance. Im sure Wenger knows more about who to play more than anyone else on here so there is know reason *****ing about it. Cause i know if Bergie has a cracker or RVP plays and has a stinker you will change like the wind.

I am pretty sure I know myself about whether I will "change like the wind" or not. but that aside, wouldn't you think that Van Persie DESERVES a chance? Cause for some reason Wenger doesn't think so! He remains loyal for some reason to players even when they are not performing well!
What has RvP done to DESERVE this chance. Yes he is playing well in the reserves and CC but then again so is Pennant and so was Aliadiere but where did they get. Those two competitions cannot becomapred to the big thing. You saw the gulf in class between the two and Ali who has been phenomenal in the youths and reserves and CC has done nothing in any full first team game. He scored in a sub appearance close to when he joined as well. Pennant has a bigger case. He's been consistently performing in these cups, scored a hat trick on his debut (that's what you call DESERVING compared to RvP) and played a whole season in the EPL with an established side that unfortunately got relagated. He was one of their stars. Yes RvP is great but he has hardly done anything to warrant or DESERVE a place in the side.
I think you missed my point in my original post. Takes those quotes as a grain of salt. They are not important and are really just a load of crap and have probably been taken out of context.

Quotes can really not be taken "out of context" they're quotes. And the last place that u'd expect the quotes to be tampered with really is the Official Club Website!
They can actually. Not the words themselves but how they are used. Like when Ibrahimovic said he will be one of the strongest players in the world soon i.e well built, the put himacross as arrogant enough to say he will be the strongest as in best. I'm not saying these were done here but you didn't see the whole interviewso you really can't say one way or the other, but in any case you know never to trust Wenger in interviews. I mean he was the guy who said he wished Santa would give him money to but his family Christmas presents when asked about potential transfers, but then went on to spalsh upwards of 10 milion for Reyes.

He was just trying to take some positives out of the game. No use saying we played s**t to the media and next thing you know its on the front of every paper in England. Not good for the players confidence when the manager slates them to the media
Stop *****ing.

Admitting to the fact that we are not playing well won't really knock the players confidence that down, It'll spur them on to perform even better actually!
But oh No, talking about the OT game again and again and using it as an excuse, that's surely going to give the players confidence isn't it?
No and the team and fans know we didn't play well but it is no use saying we are **** and being doom mongerers now is there. It won't really help. Take a positive spin on things you know like everything else in life. Show us what we did well and we can build on that while simultaneaously correcting what went wrong behind closed doors. Like Aussie said "No use saying we played s**t to the media and next thing you know its on the front of every paper in England. Not good for the players confidence when the manager slates them to the media".

A

Anonymous

If you hadn't noticed we had the best defensive record last season and there were no departure apart from Martin Keown who was a peripheral figure for us. There was no need to tamper with a winning formula and most of what is happening now is due to Gilberto being out. Not Sol because he was out for a period last seaon and Cygan played, and Lauren was also out for a period as well and Cygan played and during that time we had a very impressive record of like 4 goals conceded in 10 or so matches. So there really was no need to change it around. Note he only wanted to get in a right back and not a centre back. No one could have forseen our current midfield crisis so it wasn't his faault for not getting anpther one as when everyone is fit we have a hard enough time to get all of them into the first XVI.

fair enough, so your saying our current defensive form is because of our midfield but it's not Wengers fault. Remind me, who let Ray Parlour go again then. Don't tell me that no one could predict a crisis, cause obviously no one could, but that is exactly what squad depth is for. For situations like these.

Did you not notice we dodn't have all that much money then. Or do you think Arsène has this hidden magical money tree he is hiding from everyone. He didn't have money and even if he did at that point in time he didn't feel the need to get one. And the money we have now was freed up from the deal we made with Emirates a month or so ago so we didn't have and cash to splash.

remind me, whose fault is it we wasted..that's right, completely wasted 3 million on Cygan, He maybe an alright defender, but not arsenal class, definately not. If we wouldn't have sold Upson, perhaps he could have atleast played when Campbell was injured. Toure ofcourse I will not critisize, class find!

So how are you so sure that RvP will take it any better than Bergkamp. He deserves his chance because he has been such a loyal servant to this club and can do everything that RvP can do except maybe run as fast. He has that experience and knows what is needed. For all his bad form I know who I'd pick in a big game situation and who I'd bet my house on to make a bigger impact in a crucial match. Don't get me wrong I love RvP and want to see him play soon but there has to be a reason he isn't playing doesn't there?

How am I sure that RvP will take it better than Bergkamp, easy. Cause he has created much much much more chances in the space of the few minutes that he comes on then Bergkamp has been throughout the past few games. Yes, certainly Bergkamp's form earlier on was amazing, but it isn't now. No matter how superb Bergkamp has been for us in the past, we cannot play these players just due to "loyalty". Once they are past it, they are past it. Look at Seaman's form at the end of his time at Arsenal. Besides the save in the FA Cup Semi-final, he was a complete joke even though he ended on a high winning trophies, we all know he was nowhere close to what he was before. Same thing with Bergkamp.
And about the reason he isn't playing there might be again, Wenger's loyalty to bergkamp which is costing us? Wouldn't you think? And as for Choosing Bergkamp in a crucial game. Old Trafford, the number of crosses that went into the United box, not one person could get a header in, and we all could be sure Van Persie was certainly bought to put crosses like those in. Yet he wasn't used.

What has RvP done to DESERVE this chance. Yes he is playing well in the reserves and CC but then again so is Pennant and so was Aliadiere but where did they get. Those two competitions cannot becomapred to the big thing. You saw the gulf in class between the two and Ali who has been phenomenal in the youths and reserves and CC has done nothing in any full first team game. He scored in a sub appearance close to when he joined as well. Pennant has a bigger case. He's been consistently performing in these cups, scored a hat trick on his debut (that's what you call DESERVING compared to RvP) and played a whole season in the EPL with an established side that unfortunately got relagated. He was one of their stars. Yes RvP is great but he has hardly done anything to warrant or DESERVE a place in the side.

How will he do anything to show that he deserves a place in the side unless and gets a chance?! When you come on for 5 mins, when trailing or trying to get the winning goal, there's hardly any time to settle into the game, how would you expect him to do much, though thankfully he has saved our arses in a game, and almost won it too!

No and the team and fans know we didn't play well but it is no use saying we are s**t and being doom mongerers now is there. It won't really help. Take a positive spin on things you know like everything else in life. Show us what we did well and we can build on that while simultaneaously correcting what went wrong behind closed doors. Like Aussie said "No use saying we played s**t to the media and next thing you know its on the front of every paper in England. Not good for the players confidence when the manager slates them to the media".

Correcting what went wrong behind closed doors? I must ask you again, Have those corrections been made? Have we improved on set pieces, has our defence even improved slightly? Have we stopped giving away leads?
Atleast I don't see much of that correction!

A

Anonymous

Arsène needs to bring out his stick on ALL the players!!!!

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
coolcool2 said:

fair enough, so your saying our current defensive form is because of our midfield but it's not Wengers fault. Remind me, who let Ray Parlour go again then. Don't tell me that no one could predict a crisis, cause obviously no one could, but that is exactly what squad depth is for. For situations like these.
Ray was sold because he wanted to leave. He needed game time and if you are saying squad depth I think 5 players competing for one spot is depth enough. He could have been blamed if he had three players for 2 spots. 4 is even enough. When they are fit can we even find a place on the bench for all of them. That's depth enough. If one person got injured he has backup and he knows he needs backup for at least one player. Then he has backup for the other starter. He also has backup for both the backups in Flamini. He could be forgiven to think that that is enough can't he. Would you have though three players in the same position would get injured at the same time. That is a freak incidence and is unlikely to occur again.

Did you not notice we didn't have all that much money then. Or do you think Arsène has this hidden magical money tree he is hiding from everyone. He didn't have money and even if he did at that point in time he didn't feel the need to get one. And the money we have now was freed up from the deal we made with Emirates a month or so ago so we didn't have and cash to splash.

remind me, whose fault is it we wasted..that's right, completely wasted 3 million on Cygan, He maybe an alright defender, but not arsenal class, definately not. If we wouldn't have sold Upson, perhaps he could have atleast played when Campbell was injured. Toure ofcourse I will not critisize, class find!
You are now going back to two seasons. If we never nought him then you would be complaining about depth for that season. Also even if he didn't use the money then, I think it would have gone towards construction of the stadium. About Upson he was not forced to leave. Quite the contrary. Wenger wanted him to stay but you can't keep a player against his will. I'd rather have a crap player who wants to play for us than someone who doesn't He was just too impatient. Had he stayed he would have got a chance later that season when we were struggling don't you think. The n by now he could have been an establushed figure, doubt it though. He has never really impressed me.

How am I sure that RvP will take it better than Bergkamp, easy. Cause he has created much much much more chances in the space of the few minutes that he comes on then Bergkamp has been throughout the past few games. Yes, certainly Bergkamp's form earlier on was amazing, but it isn't now. No matter how superb Bergkamp has been for us in the past, we cannot play these players just due to "loyalty". Once they are past it, they are past it. Look at Seaman's form at the end of his time at Arsenal. Besides the save in the FA Cup Semi-final, he was a complete joke even though he ended on a high winning trophies, we all know he was nowhere close to what he was before. Same thing with Bergkamp.
And about the reason he isn't playing there might be again, Wenger's loyalty to bergkamp which is costing us? Wouldn't you think? And as for Choosing Bergkamp in a crucial game. Old Trafford, the number of crosses that went into the United box, not one person could get a header in, and we all could be sure Van Persie was certainly bought to put crosses like those in. Yet he wasn't used.
That was the last few matches and Bergy was out of sorts. On his day can you compare the two? Whp would have thoughtit would have carried on this long? I want RvP to playbut at any goven moment Bergy can be back to his best and start changing things. I think Arsène is giving him some time and if this continues he will be benched. And some people on here read too much into RvP's headering capabilities. Just because Arsène said he is capable doesn't mean he is the best. Yes granted he gets a lot of chances we might see a few goals but until we see enough of him I reserve judgement on that bit of his game.

How will he do anything to show that he deserves a place in the side unless and gets a chance?! When you come on for 5 mins, when trailing or trying to get the winning goal, there's hardly any time to settle into the game, how would you expect him to do much, though thankfully he has saved our arses in a game, and almost won it too!
He had saved us once but Pennant basically won us a game. Ali got us back into the Liverpool match last season with his pass that eventually set up Pires. I want him to be given a chance as well. Yes he needs a full chance to start to deserve something which was my original point but the fact remains he was told to bide his time, LEARN from Bergy and his chance will come. He just needs to be patient, which at the moment he is.
No and the team and fans know we didn't play well but it is no use saying we are s**t and being doom mongerers now is there. It won't really help. Take a positive spin on things you know like everything else in life. Show us what we did well and we can build on that while simultaneaously correcting what went wrong behind closed doors. Like Aussie said "No use saying we played s**t to the media and next thing you know its on the front of every paper in England. Not good for the players confidence when the manager slates them to the media".

Correcting what went wrong behind closed doors? I must ask you again, Have those corrections been made? Have we improved on set pieces, has our defence even improved slightly? Have we stopped giving away leads?
Atleast I don't see much of that correction!
Yet again will publically slating them be a good thing or a bad thing. I think it will be bad because it willhit the players confidence as they will feel the manager dowsn't think they are good enough and it will also deteriorate the bond and team spirit within the camp. They will lose trust in Arsène, which is one of the main reasons players have been coming to Arsenal and actually staying, i.e Pires, Henry, Vieira etc. Their bond is great and they only slate each other in private. They keep what happens in the dressing room in the dressing room and know what is needed from them.

We are in a slump, and every team goes through one. This is our tradeamark bad month and we are actually doing better now than most other Novembers in the past. We have only lost once and continue to pick up points which will in the end decide whether we win or lose. At the end we can see if these draws were points gained or lost. Until then lets not speculate. The only reason this run is being highlighted is because Chelsea are playing unusually well. Come title race time as log as we are in a good position I will e happy as we have the greater experience of the title race which will count in our favour. And remember we still have to play them in a few weeks time by which time we may be on top of the table or getting ther with a win against them, touch wood. Try not to be too down beat.

A

Anonymous

Ray was sold because he wanted to leave. He needed game time and if you are saying squad depth I think 5 players competing for one spot is depth enough. He could have been blamed if he had three players for 2 spots. 4 is even enough. When they are fit can we even find a place on the bench for all of them. That's depth enough. If one person got injured he has backup and he knows he needs backup for at least one player. Then he has backup for the other starter. He also has backup for both the backups in Flamini. He could be forgiven to think that that is enough can't he. Would you have though three players in the same position would get injured at the same time. That is a freak incidence and is unlikely to occur again.

Freak incident?I really really doubt it, numerous injuries happen every time in football nothing new at all. United's defence last season, Liverpool's attack this season!? YOu have to be prepared for it. As for Ray not getting any gametime, well Wenger has to learn how to rotate his squad. Why did Ray leave, he didn't get to play, that's why. Not saying to completely break off our team, but once in a while play a different team and give others in the squad a chance so that when you do get injuries and are forced to play a different team to the normal one you play, the players have some sort of understanding of each other and it's not completely a different ball game as we're seeing now.

Code:
You are now going back to two seasons. If we never nought him then you would be complaining about depth for that season. Also even if he didn't use the money then, I think it would have gone towards construction of the stadium. About Upson he was not forced to leave. Quite the contrary. Wenger wanted him to stay but you can't keep a player against his will. I'd rather have a crap player who wants to play for us than someone who doesn't He was just too impatient. Had he stayed he would have got a chance later that season when we were struggling don't you think. The n by now he could have been an establushed figure, doubt it though. He has never really impressed me.

why didn't he stay again? yep, Arsène refused to play him. ala Parlour? How long does Wenger wait to give players a chance?

That was the last few matches and Bergy was out of sorts. On his day can you compare the two? Whp would have thoughtit would have carried on this long? I want RvP to playbut at any goven moment Bergy can be back to his best and start changing things. I think Arsène is giving him some time and if this continues he will be benched. And some people on here read too much into RvP's headering capabilities. Just because Arsène said he is capable doesn't mean he is the best. Yes granted he gets a lot of chances we might see a few goals but until we see enough of him I reserve judgement on that bit of his game.

Unfortunately his "days" are few and far between. Perhaps yes you are right, his headering capabalities might not be as great as people are reading into, but simple question. Cross goes in, who would you have rather attacking the cross for a head, RvP or Bergkamp? I know my answer, and am sure yours is the same too?
Against UNited ALL WE WERE DOING WAS PUTTING IN CROSSES AND NOTHING ELSE? Wenger chose to ignore that and keep Bergkamp on, and not bring on RvP (not till late atleast, don't exactly remember whether he came on or not, but I'm sure he didn't start, or come on till very very late in the game)

He had saved us once but Pennant basically won us a game. Ali got us back into the Liverpool match last season with his pass that eventually set up Pires. I want him to be given a chance as well. Yes he needs a full chance to start to deserve something which was my original point but the fact remains he was told to bide his time, LEARN from Bergy and his chance will come. He just needs to be patient, which at the moment he is.

Exactly! in my previous post I completely forgot to say about Pennant, he's gotten us a hatrick on his 1st start I think it was. AND STILL Wenger refused to give him the chance he deserved? Wenger must start giving him a chance too I feel before he really does not have anymore of his patience which is keeping him at the club. I feel sorry for Pennant in all honesty, perhaps one may argue that with Ljungberg's form he's finding it hard to get in. So can't completely blame Wenger then. But surely we all know Pennant should have been given much more of a chance then which he usually gets.

Yet again will publically slating them be a good thing or a bad thing. I think it will be bad because it willhit the players confidence as they will feel the manager dowsn't think they are good enough and it will also deteriorate the bond and team spirit within the camp. They will lose trust in Arsène, which is one of the main reasons players have been coming to Arsenal and actually staying, i.e Pires, Henry, Vieira etc. Their bond is great and they only slate each other in private. They keep what happens in the dressing room in the dressing room and know what is needed from them.

Slating will never make them think that they're not "good enough" for the club. It's just letting them know that they are more then capable of performing much better then they already are. Constructive critisicm is not bad at all when used rightly. How is it when a coach admits to the supporters that a certain player is not performing as good as he can make the player 'lose trust' in the manager?!

We are in a slump, and every team goes through one. This is our tradeamark bad month and we are actually doing better now than most other Novembers in the past. We have only lost once and continue to pick up points which will in the end decide whether we win or lose. At the end we can see if these draws were points gained or lost. Until then lets not speculate. The only reason this run is being highlighted is because Chelsea are playing unusually well. Come title race time as log as we are in a good position I will e happy as we have the greater experience of the title race which will count in our favour. And remember we still have to play them in a few weeks time by which time we may be on top of the table or getting ther with a win against them, touch wood. Try not to be too down beat.

Seemingly this 'slump' has lasted in the CHampions League for the last 7 years.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
coolcool2 said:

Freak incident?I really really doubt it, numerous injuries happen every time in football nothing new at all. United's defence last season, Liverpool's attack this season!? YOu have to be prepared for it. As for Ray not getting any gametime, well Wenger has to learn how to rotate his squad. Why did Ray leave, he didn't get to play, that's why. Not saying to completely break off our team, but once in a while play a different team and give others in the squad a chance so that when you do get injuries and are forced to play a different team to the normal one you play, the players have some sort of understanding of each other and it's not completely a different ball game as we're seeing now.

Yes. I stick by my original argument by saying it was a freak incident. United suffered not because they didn't have enough players available but because they relied too much on Rio. Silvestre was out of order when he was away and look at him now. Brown always had injury problems so you can't really use that as an excuse because it was almost a given he would get injured for long periods of time. Other than that no one else was really missing last season from them. Neville was banned once but that was it. Silvestre was there the whole time, Brown as well albeit getting injured late on in the season, O'Shea was always there but suffered from the second season disease. So in fact they suffered because they depended on one man too much. We are not like that. Anyone who comes in can do a good job in CM.

About Liverpool. They suffered because the had, now let me think, three players competing for two spots, and only two if you consider that Sinema Pongolle was thought to be not needed. So they are asking for trouble really. One person gets injured they have to use a kid who was thought to be surplus to requirements. Two injuries and you have to play that person and a makeshift striker from either Kewell or Garcia. Asking for trouble mate. We have enough midfielders and it was very unfortunate that three got injured at the same time. Also even then we had two available. Something you could say about Liverpool's strikers? Don't think so.

Wenger did used to rotate his midfield last season. Ray played over 25 matches from the start and he was even injured for a few months with a knee injury. He did get his time but he wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot which Arsène couldn't assure him of. He even played against Inter that famous night IIRC alongside Edu. Our CM keep changing along a season and I don't think any expeienced player wil not be played. Our player do have an understanding with each other. Which is why we see our CM changing constantly over a season. Last season we had

Vieira and Edu
Vieira and Gilberto
Vieira and Parlour
Edu and Gilberto
Edu and Parlour
Gilberto and Parlour? (not too sure about)

But every CM will get a chance because during the course of a long season containing well over 60 games we need to have at least 4 players for those spots. Luckily for us we have 5 but 3 got injured at the same time. But even then 1 was very short term and another was medium term. GTilberto's was long term and it has to be covered, and it is with Flamini and Edu.

why didn't he stay again? yep, Arsène refused to play him. ala Parlour? How long does Wenger wait to give players a chance?
Parlour got his fair share of chances. As I stated before any player who is old anough and hes anough experience for the big games will be given a go. Otherwise they will wait for their 10-15 minutes and gain experience through tose times for a season or two. After that they will be goven a good chance.

Upson would have got his chance had he been patient a little more. Right after we sold him we started losing defenders at key times and needed someone to come in for the ailing Keown for some periods as well. Not to mention Campbell's ban. All this wousld have counted in his favour but he jumped ship too early. His loss. And during this time what was Toure doing? Biding his time waiting for the right moment to pounce. And look at him now.

And Pennant hasn't been given a chance because right after that time he was loaned out to gain experience. Had he stayed he would have got a lot of chances last season when Freddie was out and Gilberto had to play on the right. But he wanted to get the experience but now he has it he has returned to find a rejuvenated Freddie. Why? Possibly because of competition but nonetheless Freddie has been on top form and doesn't need to be dropped. Quite the contrary actually. He can't be dropped while like this. Remember Pennant had been given a chance earlier on in the season but didn't really impress and Freddie has so he lost his place. Tough luck. His time will coime though after his stint at Leeds last season he has come back a different man and player. So during the course of this season there will be injuries, suspensions and players off form so he needn't worry.

Unfortunately his "days" are few and far between. Perhaps yes you are right, his headering capabalities might not be as great as people are reading into, but simple question. Cross goes in, who would you have rather attacking the cross for a head, RvP or Bergkamp? I know my answer, and am sure yours is the same too?
Against UNited ALL WE WERE DOING WAS PUTTING IN CROSSES AND NOTHING ELSE? Wenger chose to ignore that and keep Bergkamp on, and not bring on RvP (not till late atleast, don't exactly remember whether he came on or not, but I'm sure he didn't start, or come on till very very late in the game)
You are right that he should be put on earlier as such a late sub appearance is almost not worthy of one as it takes a bit of time to get into the game. I feel that was as well but he seems to want to keep the player he has chosen beforehand with such time and calculation. He thought long and hard who he wants to play each match using lots of statistics found in training and once he chooses he doesn't want to undermine himself.

Yes that may be wrong and I want earlier substitutions myself so players can get into he game. Like he used to do a few yyears ago witht throwing on four strikers near the last 20 minutes. I love those days but thing is we are now a big club with a lot to lose. Before Man U used to be top and we had everything to gain but we are now the bench setter and we have a lot to lose by taking those olden day risks. We are always ahead most of the time and let Man U chase use. Before we used to throw all our guns out because we needed to catch up. Now that we are ahead we have a lot less of a need to do that. A draw isn't soo bad whereas before we used to be soo far behind we need to get every point possible so all gung ho we were.

Exactly! in my previous post I completely forgot to say about Pennant, he's gotten us a hatrick on his 1st start I think it was. AND STILL Wenger refused to give him the chance he deserved? Wenger must start giving him a chance too I feel before he really does not have anymore of his patience which is keeping him at the club. I feel sorry for Pennant in all honesty, perhaps one may argue that with Ljungberg's form he's finding it hard to get in. So can't completely blame Wenger then. But surely we all know Pennant should have been given much more of a chance then which he usually gets.
I replied to Pennant above as it had points regarding the last post as well.

Slating will never make them think that they're not "good enough" for the club. It's just letting them know that they are more then capable of performing much better then they already are. Constructive critisicm is not bad at all when used rightly. How is it when a coach admits to the supporters that a certain player is not performing as good as he can make the player 'lose trust' in the manager?!
The thing is I don't see anything constructive from it. Constructive is when you take someone outside and tell them what they are doing wrong. Not stating it in front of everyone. It's like a teacher or parent. They take you aside and tell you off. In front of everyone the player themself will get frustrated as he knows he isn't performing and he just needs the manager to take him aside. Telling it infront of everyone is stating the obvious. Why repeat what everyone knows and knock the player's confidence? What difference could slating them in public do in a gpood way. Surely it would be better to tell them the can perform better on the side. They probably even know that themselves and the public do too so putting it in the open will only make the issue drag on and will play on the players minds whenever he is playing because he will keep thinking about what the public think and will not be concentrating enough on his own game. Putting it in veiw is just adding to the pressure and will have an adverse affect eventually on this tight knit club.

Seemingly this 'slump' has lasted in the CHampions League for the last 7 years.
The slump I am talking about is in the league and all competitoons on average in every season.

We have been in the CL for 7 seasons and every season we are gaining experience. Soon we will win itt. I still don't believe this is our year but it will be valuable experience on ur road to glory in the end. I mean it too Man U 8 consecutive season in the CL along with domestic dominance to win it. We on the other hand have had 3 years of domestic dominance and soon enough I feel our domestic and European experience will help us in the end but as of yet we are still not ready.

Spike

Established Member
I actually think we played very well up to the equaliser.

We passed the ball well, made some good one-twos and couldn't kill the game off (which was the bad part).

Top Bottom