• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

It's 2013 again..

Who should Arsenal have signed in the summer of 2013?

• Total voters

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
In any case, @say yes just made us all dream away to a different time where we had so many different options and was an attractive destination for most players.

Looking back and thinking "oh if we had bought player x we would've won the leauge!"
"no, no - player y would have let us walk the league!"
"don't get me started on player z!!"

Look at us now..

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Before Özil and first part of Özil career at Arsenal we created so man chances in a game only for our donkey’s in front of goal to mis. Killer striker was needed. Santi could have kept going for a few years as the main creator. Prime Higuain instead of Giroud.... oh what could have been. Leicester title would have never happened.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Hamšík was a player that had all the tools to be in the elite bracket of players. Wish someone took a chance on him, there was a lot of opportunities to go for him.

Alderweireld would have been a nice buy in 2013, just finishing up at Ajax.

Tevez was also the player that everyone should have been going for that window. World class talent that had a falling out with City, ended up going to Juve for pennies.

Sturridge was a player that I admired from a far, not sure if there was any avoiding the injury issues but he went to Liverpool far too easily.

Reus would have been the big money player that everyone at the time should have been eyeing up.

Along with Griezmann and a few others, this window was there for the taking.
Are you talking Arsenal, Man Utd or both here?

You were close to Hamsik several times as far as I remember?

Would Tevez have been sold to a league rival though? Could've been great addition for Arsenal. Would have given us a bit of teeth in attack - without the literal part Suarez would bring.

Alderweireld only costed Atletico 6.5M... should have nicked him - whether Arsenal or Man U...

There were quite a few good deals to find around in hindsight, indeed.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Are you talking Arsenal, Man Utd or both here?

You were close to Hamsik several times as far as I remember?

Would Tevez have been sold to a league rival though? Could've been great addition for Arsenal. Would have given us a bit of teeth in attack - without the literal part Suarez would bring.

Alderweireld only costed Atletico 6.5M... should have nicked him - whether Arsenal or Man U...

There were quite a few good deals to find around in hindsight, indeed.

Talking about transfers in general that window. No team in mind.

EDIT: With Tevez, however, I'm thinking about Arsenal. Think it would have been a great fit - You put him in a side with Özil and he'll be devastating. Think he even made David Silva look better than he was for a period. He was a pitbull, technically brilliant and his movement was fantastic, a refined version of Vardy.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hamšík was a player that had all the tools to be in the elite bracket of players. Wish someone took a chance on him, there was a lot of opportunities to go for him.

Alderweireld would have been a nice buy in 2013, just finishing up at Ajax.

Tevez was also the player that everyone should have been going for that window. World class talent that had a falling out with City, ended up going to Juve for pennies.

Sturridge was a player that I admired from a far, not sure if there was any avoiding the injury issues but he went to Liverpool far too easily.

Reus would have been the big money player that everyone at the time should have been eyeing up.

Along with Griezmann and a few others, this window was there for the taking.

Didn’t Hamsik turn down moves to other clubs a lot though? Feel like he was incredibly loyal to Napoli and was happy to just get the bag in China after his career was winding down. But yeah he was a baller in his prime.

As for Tevez I might be mistaken but I think he had to leave England due to his legal predicament which is why he got that bargain move to Juventus.

There were some real bargains around then, Koulibaly was 22 and playing in Belgium a year before he moved to Napoli for 6M.

Jan Oblak was a second choice keeper trying to force his way out of Benfica at the time as well as Gueye who’d played for a top team in France for years without anyone gambling on him.

Those three probably set you back 20M and you’d have a spine of team that would compete for years.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Didn’t Hamsik turn down moves to other clubs a lot though? Feel like he was incredibly loyal to Napoli and was happy to just get the bag in China after his career was winding down. But yeah he was a baller in his prime.

As for Tevez I might be mistaken but I think he had to leave England due to his legal predicament which is why he got that bargain move to Juventus.

There were some real bargains around then, Koulibaly was 22 and playing in Belgium a year before he moved to Napoli for 6M.

Jan Oblak was a second choice keeper trying to force his way out of Benfica at the time as well as Gueye who’d played for a top team in France for years without anyone gambling on him.

Those three probably set you back 20M and you’d have a spine of team that would compete for years.
And if they failed there were other good options such as cheap gambles, Simon Kjær, Max Kruse, Callejon and Strootman - I envied Roma for Strootman so badly before injuries ate every last bit of him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Actually don't think I would change anything about summer 2013, or even summer 2014 as mad, as they were.

Summer 2013...obviously I would want a better forward, but not at the expense of Özil, don't think that would have been possible.

Summer 2014...obviously we needed a defensive midfielder, but would not change that six months in the second half of the season, were Coq made his glorious return and was the best DM in the league :drool:

Enjoy those two seasons and the players we had, to change them that much...

Last edited:

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

On Tevez, nah, nothing about the legal issues - that was dealt after West Ham and he played in England for 6 years since. His career at City was on the ropes ever since he refused to come on the pitch because he was annoyed he wasn't starting vs Bayern Munich. Caused mass media hysteria at the time.

Sheikh Mansour even authorised the placing of Tevez on garden leave where he would be paid in full but instructed to stay away from the Manchester City training ground. Eventually they did end up playing him and there was a period when Agüero and Tevez played together and they really did look unplayable together.

No transfer was in sight. He even considered retirement because Argentina even said they were done with him, he was desperate for a new challenge and luckily Juventus eventually came in for him. He was there for the taking.

On Hamsik, I think the issue was he was just way too overpriced by Napoli. The same way they've put a massive tag for Koulibaly that I don't see anyone paying.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

On Tevez, nah, nothing about the legal issues - that was dealt after West Ham and he played in England for 6 years since. His career at City was on the ropes ever since he refused to come on the pitch because he was annoyed he wasn't starting vs Bayern Munich. Caused mass media hysteria at the time.

Sheikh Mansour even authorised the placing of Tevez on garden leave where he would be paid in full but instructed to stay away from the Manchester City training ground. Eventually they did end up playing him and there was a period when Agüero and Tevez played together and they really did look unplayable together.

No transfer was in sight. He even considered retirement because Argentina even said they were done with him, he was desperate for a new challenge and luckily Juventus eventually came in for him. He was there for the taking.

On Hamsik, I think the issue was he was just way too overpriced by Napoli. The same way they've put a massive tag for Koulibaly that I don't see anyone paying.

Nah but didn’t he get stuck with community service right before that summer iirc?

Pretty sure that’s why he was so keen to leave England as soon as possible.

Juan Matas Beard

Trusted ⭐

Nah but didn’t he get stuck with community service right before that summer iirc?

Pretty sure that’s why he was so keen to leave England as soon as possible.

I know about something to do with drink-driving and community service but not sure about anything else in terms of his legality in the country, was sure that was sorted after West Ham.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I know about something to do with drink-driving and community service but not sure about anything else in terms of his legality in the country, was sure that was sorted after West Ham.

I had a look and it turns out he reoffended in April 2013. What a bellend :lol:

He managed to avoid community service by arguing in court his transfer overseas should void it.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Should have got Özil plus a very good striker don't know we would be capable of winning the league but we'll be very close it's disappointing chasing Higuain and Saurez and end up with neither.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Theo was unfortunate IMO. Had he not torn his ACL, things may have worked out for him as a CF. It would have been tough but he showed some promise there when given the chance - the very game he tore his ACL he was having the game of his life playing the sacrificial CF role vs Sp**s. His performance was only overshadowed by him being stretchered off while mugging off the Sp**s fans to what we now know was a season-ending injury.
Well Theo played most of 2016/2017 as a CF after the ACL. IIRC he got 21 goals.

I don't think the ACL really messed up his chances

Ffs that celebration.

giphy.gif
Would have been great rubbing it on Sp**s and Manure after lifting the league on their turfs. Sad.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If it’s a choice between Cesc and Özil post 2014 I think it’s a no brainer.

While Cesc gives you 42 assists and Özil gives you 48 you’ve got to look at the deeper context. Özil had arguably the best year of his career in 2015/16 and was still very good for the next year and a half before declining rapidly.

After Sp**s completely embarrassed Cesc and Chelsea in 2014/15 the rot set in for him. He was a total liability in a midfield two after that and he was a shadow of the player he once was.

Was a key part of the side that finished 8th in 2016 and was little more than a rotation option afterwards.

If that was his career in a well organised and pragmatic team imagine what a disaster he’d have been for us.

Top Bottom