• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jakub Kiwior: Going Sour For Him?

Malky

Established Member
Think he’s made the LB spot his own. Until Timber is fully fit anyway.
Said it in the match day thread last night but it's nice to have a LB that can actually defend. Look what happened when Zinny came on, instantly gave away a pen because he's a defensive liability.
What actually surprised me the most last night wasn't how good he played, it was how calm and composed he was. Gabriel and surprisingly Saliba looked more paniced at times than Kiwior.
Unless Timber comes back in the form he was pre injury, then Kiwior has the LB spot on lock!

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
If Zinny is just as bad defensively but offers much more going forward, doesn’t that suggest he SHOULD play ahead of Kiwi? Or have I misunderstood what you wrote?
He doesn’t offer enough to make up for being a cr.p fullback. He is a liability Zinny at Fullback i think he should only play as a back up central midfielder or sold. I actually don’t like inverting Zinchenko. It weakens our defensive shape and doesn’t add enough to attack. Midfield doesn’t need extra creativity with Jorgie in there and Ode.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Am I blind? I really want to like this guy but I’m just not seeing it. He’s getting a lot of praise for last night, and ok, he had the odd good moment, but generally, he kept getting skinned by the winger or full back. He can’t keep up.

Farzad Stoned

Am I blind? I really want to like this guy but I’m just not seeing it. He’s getting a lot of praise for last night, and ok, he had the odd good moment, but generally, he kept getting skinned by the winger or full back. He can’t keep up.
Zinny is really poor as a fullback and an ok back up central midfielder. I think he should probably be upgraded on even as a squaddie; Kiwi is not a world beater but i think he could be a prospect at Fb too weak in air for cb

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We won. You will never get real assessment of a player when we win

Farzad Stoned

We won. You will never get real assessment of a player when we win
You don’t think for his age he is a decent Left Fullback squaddie with some upside? I don’t buy him at all at Cb though

CannonBals

I don't quite understand what qualities he lacks at LCB compared to Gabriel?

He is as fast, as tall, good passer, good defender etc. He is in the 94th percentile for fullbacks in dribbled past, so similar to Gabriel there also.

He is very like Gabriel to me, just much worse currently in aerials. And maybe a bit in passing, but he is 2 years younger than Gabriel and hasn't been long at the club. He can and will improve those.

To me he fits that LCB role in the future better than inverted LB. I'd want Timber type technical players, who are good at defending, as those, when the funds allow it.

He is weak physically in general but especially at headers. This has already costed us a few goals when he played CB. Don't remember the games but he either didn't jump or ducked because of pressure and the other guy scored the header. Don't like him at CB. Although can provide cover for both LCB/LB. But for me he will always be suspect at LCB. (All of this to some extent also holds true for White as RCB)

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

He is weak physically in general but especially at headers. This has already costed us a few goals when he played CB. Don't remember the games but he either didn't jump or ducked because of pressure and the other guy scored the header. Don't like him at CB. Although can provide cover for both LCB/LB. But for me he will always be suspect at LCB. (All of this to some extent also holds true for White as RCB)
I understand and a good point. But he is as tall as Gabriel, and two years younger. CB's mature slower, and fill their frames.

I see no reason why Kiwior's physicality doesn't improve a lot in a couple years. Just can't overdo it too fast, so he stays fast and agile enough.

CannonBals

Even I did not understand why he is getting so much praise for last night.
But he is a better option than Zinchenko for me so I am happy tagging along...

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I don't think he's really here to compete to be first choice long term. He's doing well for a backup.

Could well be the type of player we flip for profit.

drippin

Kept getting skinned? Am I blind?

He didn't almost put a foot wrong, and Porto wingers are not bad at all. Especially Conceicao on his side is very tricky.

He gets praise because has been very solid, after most had written him off. After many thought Arsenal is doomed with Timber, Zinchenko and Tomiyasu injuries.

CannonBals

I understand and a good point. But he is as tall as Gabriel, and two years younger. CB's mature slower, and fill their frames.

I see no reason why Kiwior's physicality doesn't improve a lot in a couple years. Just can't overdo it too fast, so he stays fast and agile enough.

It seems he doesn't relish physicality (I know its sound insane for a defender but that seems to be the case. He surely is not comfortable). This is something you either like or don't and does not have any relation to size.
Saka seems small but relishes physical battles. Also has nothing to do with age. With age you may learn to win more battles but the desire has to be there from the start.
White for instance will never be a physical monster and able to handle Haaland like Saliba/Gabriel and we have seen him grow for 3 years now.

drippin

It seems he doesn't relish physicality (I know its sound insane for a defender but that seems to be the case. He surely is not comfortable). This is something you either like or don't and does not have any relation to size.
Saka seems small but relishes physical battles. Also has nothing to do with age. With age you may learn to win more battles but the desire has to be there from the start.
White for instance will never be a physical monster and able to handle Haaland like Saliba/Gabriel and we have seen him grow for 3 years now.
He is in 83rd percentile for Padj Tackles. He doesn't seem like a defender that will go down easily, like Gabriel, which is good imo. Not dribbled past often like him.

He has played very little as a CB, like two full games this season overall, so how would you know how he currently plays against for example Haaland?

You can't expect a cheapish young CB to come from a midtable team from Italy, and be a physical monster very fast.

I don't quite understand what you're seeing as evidence that he doesn't relish physicality. He just hasn't filled his frame yet, and is learning football at top level.

This is from a week ago:

GH-HDRcXcAAVOD5

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Kept getting skinned? Am I blind?

He didn't almost put a foot wrong, and Porto wingers are not bad at all. Especially Conceicao on his side is very tricky.

He gets praise because has been very solid, after most had written him off. After many thought Arsenal is doomed with Timber, Zinchenko and Tomiyasu injuries.

Yes, there were a fair few occasions where the winger got away and he almost pulled him back, I thought he was on the edge of conceding a few pens. Admittedly, he did have some decent enough moments aswell. It’ll be interesting to see what he’s actually like as a CB, because LB isn’t for him imo, Timber, Zinchenko, Tomiyasu coming back aswell.

CannonBals

He is in 83rd percentile for Padj Tackles. He doesn't seem like a defender that will go down easily, like Gabriel, which is good imo. Not dribbled past often like him.

He has played very little as a CB, like two full games this season overall, so how would you know how he currently plays against for example Haaland?

You can't expect a cheapish young CB to come from a midtable team from Italy, and be a physical monster very fast.

I don't quite understand what you're seeing as evidence that he doesn't relish physicality. He just hasn't filled his frame yet, and is learning football at top level.

This is from a week ago:

GH-HDRcXcAAVOD5

Basing things on data is good but data does not tell you everything.
He is good at tackles because he is very fast and wins most of the ground tackles, but not the aerial tackles and he is also competing against Wingers not ST. He plays LB hence he would make much much more ground tackles and hence the good rating.
Also I remember him playing RCB last season aswell. I am basing my opinion on that. Just to give context, I don't rate White as CB aswell. And I think they are both similar players. White being older is more polished.
And for the price Kiwior is a decent/good purchase.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom