• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: Joening the First Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBL

Established Member
Just another average Joe tbh.
Never going to make it.
This is the reason we should be buying actually elite youngsters such as sterling, de bruyne, lukaku, christiansen, g.Jesus. They are good and will become pretty ****ing good. Iwobi has been a disaster, AMN cant hold his own...
Wenger chose to invest in Willock rather than McGuane. Wrong decision.

nick gould

Impressive performance from Joe. I think he’s been much better when Emery has used him as one of the 6s this preseason than at 10, been much more involved in the game when he plays there.
Agreed, he is definitely more of a 8 than a 10. He struggles to find space when played as a 10 whereas players like Özil, Nelson and even Iwobi have a knack for finding space to receive the ball on the half turn. That's the Ramsey replacement.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We barely touched the ball when he was playing behind the striker so I have no idea how can anyone tell from that sample if he's good there or not.

One could infer that moving him out of a role where he started attacks from deep and recovered possession was one of the very reasons we were all of a sudden barely touching the ball.

Would be easier to justify if he was being moved from a position of team strength to one of weakness, yet it was the exact reverse.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Joe is definitely an 8 and he's a pretty good alternative 6 aswell because of his intelligence, competitiveness in defensive situations and ability to progress play from deeper areas. As it is, I think the best use of his considerable abilities is definitely as an 8. It better utilizes his dribbling without taking away his passing game and gives him license to make those cutting runs from deep. His intensity and pressing is also useful in counterpressing situations too.

Interestingly, we have a number of CMs coming up who are hybrids in terms of their application as CMs. The U23s and U18s will be an interesting place to see this develop. Before, we had an abundance of attackers which are now coming to the fore, so much so that we had to lose one of them. Now, we have quite a few central midfielders and CFs coming through. Keep an eye on Smith and Azeez - two players who can play as 6/8/10. Burton has been pretty decent aswell - I'd consider sending him on loan before the window closes.

One could infer that moving him out of a role where he started attacks from deep and recovered possession was one of the very reasons we were all of a sudden barely touching the ball.

Would be easier to justify if he was being moved from a position of team strength to one of weakness, yet it was the exact reverse.
I found our build up play very disjointed whenever he was taken out of midfield during preseason. There was very little link between the midfield and the attack as a result. He's really making a case for being more than just a regular and if he continues to provide that link between the two he will definitely play a lot of games next season.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Joe is definitely an 8 and he's a pretty good alternative 6 aswell because of his intelligence, competitiveness in defensive situations and ability to progress play from deeper areas. As it is, I think the best use of his considerable abilities is definitely as an 8. It better utilizes his dribbling without taking away his passing game and gives him license to make those cutting runs from deep. His intensity and pressing is also useful in counterpressing situations too.

Interestingly, we have a number of CMs coming up who are hybrids in terms of their application as CMs. The U23s and U18s will be an interesting place to see this develop. Before, we had an abundance of attackers which are now coming to the fore, so much so that we had to lose one of them. Now, we have quite a few central midfielders and CFs coming through. Keep an eye on Smith and Azeez - two players who can play as 6/8/10. Burton has been pretty decent aswell - I'd consider sending him on loan before the window closes.

I found our build up play very disjointed whenever he was taken out of midfield during preseason. There was very little link between the midfield and the attack as a result. He's really making a case for being more than just a regular and if he continues to provide that link between the two he will definitely play a lot of games next season.

Yeah noticed this at the Nou Camp as well , That;s a vert good sign for me that he really understands midfield more so than some others in our team . Pretty sure this guy is starting next to Xhaka at Newcastle.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I think as the season progresses he might be the answer to the other midfielder between Ceballos and Torreira if we want to play a three man midfield. On paper they seem complimentary.

Wryer

Give the lad a real chance. If Guendozi was given the opportunity last year, I don't see how Willock's preseason was any less impressive.

We need to show we give high potential youngsters the opportunities to attract more of them. It's gotta be one of our main recruitment strategies. We are not going to spend 80m on one player every window. Those are the icing.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Surely he starts against Newcastle? What type of message does that send if he doesn't?

If so, please in CM. I kind of get the idea of having a high energy CM like him or Ramsey at 10 for off the ball reasons, but they're just better when deployed deeper.

Surely he starts against Newcastle? What type of message does that send if he doesn't?

It has been clear from day one here under Emery that its seniors who are in front of the youngsters no matter how bad they play. Would be surprised if that was about to change.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
It has been clear from day one here under Emery that its seniors who are in front of the youngsters no matter how bad they play. Would be surprised if that was about to change.

I think it will change. Some power has been taken from him and given to Ljungberg and Edu, for this very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom