• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

LC: WBA vs Arsenal | 16/12/03

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
WENGER: I'LL BRING BACK MY BIG GUNS
West Brom...0 Arsenal...2

Arsène WENGER could be ready to dump the crop of Arsenal youngsters who have taken the side through to the semi-finals of the Carling Cup.

Wenger's kids produced their third straight win at The Hawthorns last night as goals from Kanu and Jeremie Aliadiere saw off First Division leaders West Brom.

But Wenger admitted that with his Highbury injury list rapidly disappearing, he may deny the youngsters their chance to go all the way to Cardiff and lift the trophy.

He said: "It is very difficult to predict what I will do. There are some difficult teams in the competition and I will pick a side that has a chance to win the game.

"At the moment we do not have so many injuries so that might affect what I do about the selection."

Wenger also made a point of praising the more experienced players in last night's line-up, like Martin Keown, Lauren, Ray Parlour and Kanu. He added: "I think we really needed the experienced players out there - without them there would have been too much pressure."

But goalkeeper Graham Stack, whose performance won him the man-of-the-match award, insisted Wenger should keep faith with his second stringers.

Stack said: "I would like to think I will carry on. I would be disappointed if after helping us get to the semi-finals that was not the case. To get into the last four with such a young team is a great achievement. If we keep some of the young players it is a great credit to the club."

Despite facing a team filled with youngsters, Albion boss Gary Megson said he knew his team were in for a tough match.

"They are a quality team," he said. "There is no such thing as a weak Arsenal side and we knew that would be the case before the game."

Source: www.mirror.co.uk/sport

jeremiesgirl

Yes if you go on the Sun website, there is a big headline says Ali faces the axe! It certainly woke me up! Got a major surprise :shock: as thought it meant Wenger wanted rid, but yes, Wenger thanks boys for getting us to the semis, we dont need you anymore, lets let the big boys take all the glory for their hard work :evil:

I understand that maybe Freddie, Bergie should be on the bench for the semis but why shouldn't we at least give some of the youngsters a go, they afte rall have got us this far against a few Premiership teams. Fair enough last night wasn't the best they ever played, but they still came through with 2 goals. It wont be fair if Wenger starts with all his best players, at least give Ali, Clichy, Stack a go for starters.

lewdikris

Established Member
I think those three will play - at least the first leg. Luckily it is two legs, and if we lose the first we could put the big boys out.

Ali, Clichy and Stack are all first team fringe members anyway, so Wenger would keep them. Bentley might get a go, with Freddie on the other side or sumat.

We;ll see.

juo_henry

Goonergurjit said:
We have to bring back all the first regulars....especially if we draw Chelsea.

Chelski is out...n I'm not bothered even if Chelski was there n we draw them coz I think rite noe Le Boss is in the upbeat mood to bag the cup...so he will go for it....as for the youngs not to be fielded in the semi, i have no comments as AW knows better...n im 100% sure that the likes of Clichy n Ali will start the games coz they are almost the 1st team quality...

its good that we have Clichy in a good form now coz we have to cope with the absense of Cole later..or will GvB be called back?? which i dont think so n hopefully not....

Andrew

jeremiesgirl said:
Yes if you go on the Sun website, there is a big headline says Ali faces the axe!

The headline (made up by the sun) says that but where does Wenger say that in the actual article? I am confident Ali will stay in the team. Wenger gave him a start away to Liverpool which shows how highly he rates him.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
fee_fi_fo_Gunners said:
we should give the youngster a chance... their experience is worth more than this mickey mouse cup! :eek:

Yes totally, I was watching the other night totally without stress. It is great experience for the younger players. Cesc can only get these matches in the CC. Clichy and Ali will feature more in the PL, but Stack deserves his place too.

So what if we lose, this is sending out avery positive message to the other teams in Europe. We do not have a very thin squad at all. We can beat you all and win the PL if luck goes our way. Maybe even the CC.

Chelski must be in tatters. Just about their best team and they lost.

A

Anonymous

If West Brom had a half decent striker we would have lost that game.

Apart from bently that midfield could very well start in the prem, and for me it was worrying how much prssure they were put under. They had twice as many shots as us, won 10 corners to our 0 and created many great chances. We didnt have that 'weak' of a team out.

bentley disappointed me, and Ali doesnt look like our next superstar.
Clichy played well after a average start, but him playing for 3 prem games is a worry for me.

Tavlaridis has been getting great reviews off everyone, but i tought he had a shocker. His positioning is awful, he cant jump without fouling and his tackeling is very rash. Get rid in Jan imo, not an Arsenal player.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom