• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

GDeep™

League is very weak
This game was 9 months ago. Martinez was **** in this one. He might have turned the corner but he wouldn't be the first goalkeeper to have a purple patch. I'd still go with Leno just because he has done it for 2 seasons.

All players are shaky when off the bench after 6 months though. Players look a shadow of themselves when they’ve been warming the bench.

He was considered phenomenal at Reading, that’s a more fair comparison i think.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
All players are shaky when off the bench after 6 months though. Players look a shadow of themselves when they’ve been warming the bench.

He was considered phenomenal at Reading, that’s a more fair comparison i think.

A fairer comparison using a lower standard of football?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
It has to be Martinez! He commands his area so well, crosses & corners are bread & butter to him. They are both good keepers but I'm struggling to pick an area where Leno is better. Some people say its too early to tell but you cant get away with good performances every week based on luck, he's been solid every game and there's no reason why it wont continue. If he had a PL run 2 or 3 years ago who knows, he may have proved himself then too. When you are the Cup keeper you know that come next PL game you're out no matter what. Knowing you are playing next game every week changes your mentality!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

A fairer comparison using a lower standard of football?

Don’t think level of football should be factored in for judging a goalkeeper.

If you’re a phenomenon in the Championship chances are you’ll be the same at the top of the game.

Keylor Navas and Cech were keepers who’d done well for pretty poor teams before their moves and they didn’t miss a step.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Surprise surprise @field442 wants to sell another young talented player so Raul and Kia can spend the money on another Cedric Soares.

Couldn’t make this stuff up even if you tried.

You’d know all about making stuff up. Wasn’t long ago you were calling Leno our best player and now you’re acting like he’s Joe Hart.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You’d know all about making stuff up. Wasn’t long ago you were calling Leno our best player and now you’re acting like he’s Joe Hart.
Calling him our best player this season is hardly a big call though? Only him and Auba performed.

Martinez has looked out of this world though, in everything he’s doing. Even Keown said he coming for balls like nobody since Lehmann.

Impact

Established Member
Hopefully we extend both Leno and Martinez's contracts and we get them to compete.

I get the sense that Martinez has stepped up consistency-wise in part - in my opinion he has always had the talent - because of the standards set by, and competition with, Leno. If you lose one, I think it becomes harder to maintain that elite edge.

I think this is one where we need Arteta to show his demonstrably strong man-management powers.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Leno isn’t anywhere near these levels, Martinez is untouchable in this form. Purple patch or not.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Love Leno and I haven't forgotten the type of season he's had - but I think Martinez is better suited for what we're trying to do. Ideally you keep both and rotate based on form.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Really tough call. Based on current form Emi should play. I’d like us to keep both. Leno was one of our best players this season until he was injured. At least GK is one spot where we are set. Let’s lock both down on long contracts and if either raises a stink about playing time we can sell at a good price. Really nice problem to have. Most teams are happy to have one decent GK and we have two good ones. Happy days!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No contest at the moment for two main reasons:

1) he's been one of the main instruments in keeping our defence solid against the very best the Prem could throw at us, some of his fingertip saves in the Liverpool /City games showed outrageous agility

2) he catches the ball so well, very few rebounds for the onrushing forwards to feed off.

Top Bottom