• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I never quite felt comfortable with him tbh. I always felt there was an error with him.

I kinda felt the same about Jens, even though I thought he was a great keeper.

Think with the way we played though Arsène always liked a kind of sweeper keeper style because of how high we tended to play on the pitch...so I understood playing on the front foot so much meant the likes of Jens and Woj would make mistakes, but as long as I didn't hate playing with them in goal (ie Almunia, Cech etc) I allowed for some of those errors.

Hard being a goalkeeper, one error and you are ****ed, especially with Arsenal's attacking style...mentally, probably the toughest position in that regard.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I kinda felt the same about Jens, even though I thought he was a great keeper.

Think with the way we played though Arsène always liked a kind of sweeper keeper style because of how high we tended to play on the pitch...so I understood playing on the front foot so much meant the likes of Jens and Woj would make mistakes, but as long as I didn't hate playing with them in goal (ie Almunia, Cech etc) I allowed for some of those errors.

Hard being a goalkeeper, one error and you are ****ed, especially with Arsenal's attacking style...mentally, probably the toughest position in that regard.

I remember I had to go in goals for a 5 aside game and I conceded because the other keeper accidentally kicked the ball too long and it went over my head into the net. Since then I swore never to be too harsh on keepers ever again. :lol:

ArsenalWeekly

Every GK at this level can make saves. Leno is probably slightly ahead of Martinez in that area. But Martinez’s ability on corners, and his willingness to pass the ball in tight windows gives him the edge for me.

I think Leno is more sellable too.

Ac3knight

EeZTqHwXsAApGOn

...Leno looking like Macey's kid brother ffs :lol:

Leno probably ahead in terms of shot-stopping ability (remember the wonder saves in a game vs. Sp**s when Erikssen was still around).

However, Emi inspires calmness and confidence in the way he collects crosses.

Emi also seems to be more decisive than Leno in passing out from the back, leading to less dithering on the ball.

I'd keep Emi for his taller height/reach and slightly better all-round game vs. Leno, since Leno would also command a higher fee if sold.

Nonetheless, we can still afford to keep both since each can play 30+ games a season with Europa (probably 60+ games in total for league and cup)

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'd be loathe to choose. Leno has been immense, but also has his flaws. His distribution would be my most important issue, but to be fair he hasn't really had the chance to show how good he'd be in the new system and under a new coach. Perhaps he could improve there still.

Sports should be a meritocracy, so Martinez has the first spot for me at the moment. It's his to lose. I wouldn't sell either of them because competition is important. I can imagine that since they are both too good to be a back-up, that the one who loses the competition would want to leave after next season. That's understandable.

It will likely cost a bit of market value, but it would protect us against a hasty decision where Martinez' good form could be a purple patch or where he turns out to be world class (in which case we would've undersold).

Plenty of games next season for either of them to prove they are the best.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Would Leno stay third choice for Germany if he just plays cup games next season?

He’ll be worried about the Euros I think.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Improve the defence and you negate Leno’s shot stopper advantage over Martínez.

Regardless of what happens with the defence this summer having a confident keeper that can play out and claim crosses isn’t going to be nullified.

Shalmaneser V

I remember I had to go in goals for a 5 aside game and I conceded because the other keeper accidentally kicked the ball too long and it went over my head into the net. Since then I swore never to be too harsh on keepers ever again. :lol:

How in the hell does one manage to get lobbed in a 5-a-side goal? :lol:

Tir Na Nog

How in the hell does one manage to get lobbed in a 5-a-side goal? :lol:

I basically wasn't paying attention until it was too late, like I touched the ball but couldn't keep it out. It didn't help that I didn't want to be in goals at all so was sulking a bit. :lol:

say yes

forum master baiter
Poll needs a ‘don’t know’ option. Because I genuinely don’t.

Leno: Seems to have slightly better reflexes and was arguably our best player this season prior to his injury. His big advantage is that he’s shown he can perform at a high level consistently.

Martinez: Ceiling is arguably higher than Leno’s. Dominant in the air and better playing out from the back. However, it could just be a burst of great form.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
If somebody time travelled from before the restart they would be very confused about what's happening in this thread.

Gunners1616

Sports should be a meritocracy, so Martinez has the first spot for me at the moment. It's his to lose.
What has Leno done wrong to lose his spot ? He was arguably our best player for the whole season and go injured. If Leno was dropped and Martinez got the hedge then yes he should be keeping the spot. But Leno was injured. He didn't drop in form or anything...

And Martinez has been immense but he benefitted from Arteta's system with a better team defense. Under Emery we use to allow 25 shots per match (which is just crazy) so Leno was tested every match left, right and center.

It's Arteta and Cana's decision but either way someone will be very unhappy.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
What has Leno done wrong to lose his spot ? He was arguably our best player for the whole season and go injured.
He has done nothing wrong. As I said he's been immense.

However, if one gets a chance and take it like Martinez has, one deserves to keep that spot until the other proves he's better again (in training, Cup and Europa games).

But yeah, one of them will probably be unhappy by the end of next season. I say let them fight it out next season and whoever loses the battle deserves a transfer. Both will still command a nice fee next season.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Were you out of your area? Wtf?:lol:

Tir Na Nog

Were you out of your area? Wtf?:lol:

I was like on the edge of it, it was about 8 years ago now so my memory of it isn't exact but I literally just remember seeing the ball at the last minute when it was already behind me, put my hand on it but couldn't do much to prevent it going in. Only saving grace is that I was never put in goals again. :lol:

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Every GK at this level can make saves. Leno is probably slightly ahead of Martinez in that area. But Martinez’s ability on corners, and his willingness to pass the ball in tight windows gives him the edge for me.

I think Leno is more sellable too.
I actually think it will be easier to sell Martinez. He has been here for more than ten years and would probably be open for offers from clubs like Villa, Leeds etc if he had to leave Arsenal, or clubs like Villareal and Betis in Spain. Leno is on quite high wages and I don`t think he would consider an offer from the likes of Villa.

I`d keep Martinez. The difference between them on dealing with crosses is a big factor and I don`t see any other aspects where Leno is significantly better than Martinez. If a good offer comes in for Leno (30M or more) I`d sell, if not keep both.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Leno probably ahead in terms of shot-stopping ability (remember the wonder saves in a game vs. Sp**s when Erikssen was still around).

Is it true that Leno is ahead in terms of shot-stopping ability? Leno has saved our ass a lot of times this season but so too has Martinez. IMHO both are about equal when it comes to shot-stopping ability.

scytheavatar

Established Member
What has Leno done wrong to lose his spot ? He was arguably our best player for the whole season and go injured. If Leno was dropped and Martinez got the hedge then yes he should be keeping the spot. But Leno was injured. He didn't drop in form or anything...

And Martinez has been immense but he benefitted from Arteta's system with a better team defense. Under Emery we use to allow 25 shots per match (which is just crazy) so Leno was tested every match left, right and center.

It's Arteta and Cana's decision but either way someone will be very unhappy.

It's all about ceiling, and Martinez simply has a much higher ceiling than Leno. There is nothing Leno can do better than Martinez, and Martinez is better than Leno in many ways. It is sad for a player to lose his spot due to injuries, but if we want to finish top 4 and an opportunity to upgrade on Leno comes, we simply must take that opportunity. Leno was without a doubt our best player for the whole season but so too has Martinez been our best player since he took over.

Top Bottom