• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leno or Martinez?

Leno or Martinez for number 1?

• Total voters

Wengysaurus

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Leno is a very good goalkeeper. Up until his injury he was performing very well. However, Martinez has been immense since coming in and it's only fair that he keeps his place until that changes, or god forbid injury happens. The biggest difference for me is that Martinez commands his box, and anything in the air like high balls and crosses he gobbles up with ease. He is a big presence between the posts and in England that's ideally what you want from a Goalkeeper.

Keep both at least for next season as long as a crazy bid for either doesn't come along. If it does, have the GK coaches choose the better keeper and offer the other to the bidding team if that's not their original choice.

If both stay, the competition will be very interesting. Martinez has to start the season 100%

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Martinez getting a new deal apparently, doesn’t look good for Leno.

TriniGunner

I was having this conversation yesterday with another GK coach and we both agreed that Martinez should remain as #1. Don't get me wrong, we love Leno and he's been our most consistent player over the past 18 months but one HUGE advantage that Martinez has over him is reach. There was a game after the restart that someone tried to lob him and because of his reach, he was able to make the save. He's also better at keeping the ball closer to him after making a save, which is also an advantage of his reach over Leno. Added to these is his excellent shot stopping and reflexes. I know Leno is our first choice but after seeing Martinez and writing the pros and cons on paper, Martinez came out the winner by 2 check-boxes:

Reach & Crosses.

Wryer

Martinez has the physical advantage, but Leno has got that insane agility to compensate for that.

What I have yet to see from either of them is that focus level that top top notch goalkeepers have. That single save you have to make in the 75th minute when the team is dominating the game, but holding on to a single goal lead. Of course that hasn't happened because our defense is shocking. Even amatuer goalkeepers will tell you it's easier to make easy saves after saves because that keeps you psyched up, warmed up and mentally ready.

Keep both unless we receive a crazy offer.

Last edited:

TheIceman85

There was a game after the restart that someone tried to lob him and because of his reach, he was able to make the save. He's also better at keeping the ball closer to him after making a save, which is also an advantage of his reach over Leno.

Probably the Harry Kane one?

tottenham-hotspurs-english-striker-harry-kane-has-a-shot-saved-by-picture-id1226489956

His handling is amazing as well; everything sticks to him and he very rarely parries anything. But if he does, it’s usually around the posts. He must have a massive handspan or sticky gloves.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Do what Barca did in 14/15 with Bravo and Ter Stegen. Leno is the league keeper, Martinez the cup keeper.

I'm expecting us to go far in the Europa league next season, Martinez could play 20plus games including the cups.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Would Leno stay third choice for Germany if he just plays cup games next season?

He’ll be worried about the Euros I think.
I think hes actually fourth choice behind Neuer, Ter Stegan and Trapp but only because a squad needs three GK's and him and Ter Stegan hate each other. He's never making the Germany squad at this rate.

Moleque

Really worrying situation really because Martinez has been so class in his short time and really stepped up been absolutely tremendous. But Arsenal with money they’ve just paid for Leno will always favour him. Would love if Martinez stayed as no.2 but after these few weeks clubs all over Europe will be knocking on our door. Wish him all the best but his gone unless Arsenal make a very difficult decision.
sunk cost fallacy. What you paid in the past is irrelevant. You keep the better player (Emi) & sell the lesser performer (Leno). The alternative is keeping the worse performer & selling the better one which is lunacy.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
It's all about ceiling, and Martinez simply has a much higher ceiling than Leno. There is nothing Leno can do better than Martinez, and Martinez is better than Leno in many ways. It is sad for a player to lose his spot due to injuries, but if we want to finish top 4 and an opportunity to upgrade on Leno comes, we simply must take that opportunity. Leno was without a doubt our best player for the whole season but so too has Martinez been our best player since he took over.

We can finish top 4 with either. They are both top of the crop. I agree with keeping the better one, but we are in a completly different situation than we had before.

Regardless of who we pick, realistically its by far the least of our problems.

Reactions: roz

REWB

Martinez is better. Leno is a bit better shot stopper but imo shot stopping in general is a massively overrated GK trait. Id rather have a keeper thats solid coming for crosses and set pieces. Plus Martinez is better on the ball.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Martinez is better. Leno is a bit better shot stopper but imo shot stopping in general is a massively overrated GK trait. Id rather have a keeper thats solid coming for crosses and set pieces. Plus Martinez is better on the ball.
Argentina has had **** goalkeepers over the last years. Messi must be punching the air rn knowing the world has been sleeping on this guy for several years.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Probably the Harry Kane one?

tottenham-hotspurs-english-striker-harry-kane-has-a-shot-saved-by-picture-id1226489956

His handling is amazing as well; everything sticks to him and he very rarely parries anything. But if he does, it’s usually around the posts. He must have a massive handspan or sticky gloves.
He learned from the infamous Reading game where he flapped a shot for one of Reading's goals.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Would give Martinez a new contract and give him the games in the cups and Europe League next season. Premier League for Leno.

If he shows these performances again in these games and Leno will show to many errors, we still can change after that season. After the performances from Leno this season it wouldn't be fair to make him the Nr.2 or selling him.

Martinez just played 9 Premier League Games. It's something completely different to perform on this level a whole season without errors or just a few games. Leno had much more games, so it's logical that he had more errors in this time.

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
It's a crying shame that we don't have the headache of the GK position in our midfield.

Two exceptional players, both chomping at the bit to play and hardly putting a foot wrong. The rest of our XI could seriously learn something from these two. Be a shame to lose either

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Martinez impressed me with the command of his area and dealing with crosses, high balls.
As @TheIceman85 mentioned, he is also very good at not fumbling powerful shots. The way the ball sticks to his gloves tells me that this method is most likely coached into him and it comes from a dedication to prove himself.

Leno has been fantastic this season and saved our arses so many times, he dealt with a huge number of shots and made some incredible saves.

As others have said, I hope Arteta deals with this situation in similar manner as Wenger used to with Cech/Ospina, Ospina/Szczesny etc..

Leno for the League and Martinez for Europa and all the Cup games.

But I suspect we might see games when all of a sudden, Martinez is brought in to defend against teams who cross a lot (weaker teams).

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Do what Barca did in 14/15 with Bravo and Ter Stegen. Leno is the league keeper, Martinez the cup keeper.

I'm expecting us to go far in the Europa league next season, Martinez could play 20plus games including the cups.

Disagree. Martinez has blossomed because he's had a proper run. Before Leno's injury he was playing cup games knowing he would be out for the next PL game, thats crazy! You play your best keeper in the PL, that's the one that is played regularly. Martinez is better in almost every department and his handling on crosses etc is streets ahead of Leno. Handling is probably the most important aspect of being a keeper as it happens every game multiple times. Everything Martinez goes for sticks, you cant say that about Leno!

Top Bottom