• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Cholo does most of the discipline through Burgos who seems like a guy who'd give Joe Pesci nightmares, the guy's a f*cking nutjob, threatened to smack Mourinho across his canister once.

The squad as it stands isn't where Simeone would like it, Atletico are trying to play better stuff but he is still keen on the "water carriers" in midfield like Gabi and Tiago. One of the chief reasons we let Arda go was because of his suspect workrate.

I think once we realise that we can't really replace Wenger in terms of his impact we'll make the right choice. The narrative that Moyes was like Fergie Jr. when he first got the job was putting nails in his coffin before he'd even begun.

If Carlo's available he'd be my first choice, along with Pellegrini who I really rate. He probably won't be around City for more than a couple of years. I wouldn't mind a coach from left field but we have to appreciate that they're very unlikely to emulate Wenger. I'd also take Benitez and Martinez although in his case I'd feel the media would be comparing him to Wenger from day 1.

Also Quique Flores had an extremely raw deal after he left us and he's far too good to be hanging around lower midtable in England.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If young, relatively unkown, and talented are something we have in mind, we should keep an eye on Ronny Deila at Celtic.

Most likely our next manager will be an established world class manager. I don't think we'll appoint someone as unknown as Wenger was in Britain at the time again.

FinnGooner

Established Member
If not Ancelotti or Guardiola

Then Roger Schmidt, Thomas Tuchel, Julen Lopetegui or Laurent Blanc

As for what to expect, I have no clue but it's going to be interesting. I still think we'll do quite well. My biggest worry is that the new manager, if inexperienced at the absolute top, will start buying dross.

The one good thing about Wenger's transfer tactics is that he rarely buys expensive flops. If he can't get a world class player he'll find good players cheaply. He would never pay £20m - £30m for somebody like Lovren, Markovic or Fellaini.

Last edited:

JENSON_GUNNER

What about Joechim Loew ? Is he planning on continuing as Germany's coach after the Euros ?

Ideally, I would take Ancelloti for about 6-7 years. Make an attempt to win the CL and Ancelloti knows how to deliver there imo.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Guardiola, Ancelotti, Loew, De Boer, Martinez. My top 5 in order of preference.

Sakurinho

I really think Joachim Low is the perfect candidate to replace Wenger. He'll quit Germany after Euro 2016, take a year sabbatical/work as a pundit while negotiating behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition as the 2017/18 season begins post-Wenger.

BobP

Memri Fan
I rate Loew very highly.

Remember reading a while ago that the club was interested in him.

Just can remember where.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Anyone who watches Serie A? Robert Stellone worth noting?

Did well getting Frosinone Calcio promotion to Serie B and then top flight the year after even if they're at the bottom of the table now.

Balance is key

Who's 'SFA' @redanddread ?

Chances are that we'll drop out of the top 4 as soon as Wenger goes so I'm not looking forward to it.

So, how do you rate our team ? 6th best and wenger is over-performing ?

for me we are tied for 2nd best team in the league - firmly ahead of pool and spuds - not to mention we will likely spend a good amount of money January/summer on another key signing + arteta/flamini replacement.

you must be more than a little pessimistic if you dont think we can get in a manager who with the by far better squad can beat pool and spuds. either that or you think them stronger than us ?

all I hope for with the next manager is one who adds some steel into our midfield, rather than midgets - and a vast improvement on our set-piece play.

Think I would take Frank De boer, hopefully with Bergkamp as an assistant - dont know how likely that is with him not flying though.

Balance is key

Simeone doesn't do football, his teams are so boring to watch.

I'm hoping Arteta is ready in a few years, I think he'll be an excellent coach. His interviews are always a pleasure.

He seems too nice, also for a captain - I like to have a manager who will tear our players a new one if they do poorly - think he will be very good in a developing role though.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Think I would take Frank De boer, hopefully with Bergkamp as an assistant - dont know how likely that is with him not flying though.

According to @clockwork orange he has fallen off of late.

I would take De Boer as well, because it ties in nicely with our youth setup. Of course Im presuming here that Andries Jonker is bringing his dutch philosophy to the club.

What about thoughts on Piksi, i.e. Dragan Stjokovic. I believe he also fell off towards the end of his time at Grampus. As much as I like Bould, I would have liked to see him come in as number 2. Thought that was an opportunity missed by all parties.

Any comments on Piksi's abilities as a manager?

say yes

forum master baiter
So, how do you rate our team ? 6th best and wenger is over-performing ?

for me we are tied for 2nd best team in the league - firmly ahead of pool and spuds - not to mention we will likely spend a good amount of money January/summer on another key signing + arteta/flamini replacement.

you must be more than a little pessimistic if you dont think we can get in a manager who with the by far better squad can beat pool and spuds. either that or you think them stronger than us ?

all I hope for with the next manager is one who adds some steel into our midfield, rather than midgets - and a vast improvement on our set-piece play.

I rate our team as the 3rd best in the league - however you've missed my point.

I was drawing attention to the fact that changing managers has a huge impact on a squad. I doubt you'd describe Chelsea's Champions League winning XI as the 6th best team in the league but it didn't stop them finishing there that season. I don't think United's squad went from by far the best in the league to 7th best in the league just because they signed Fellaini and Mata.

I don't think our squad is that much better than Sp**s/Liverpool/United's that we could make top 4 if the manager we bring in after Wenger isn't up to it.

Given the difficulties anyone would face in succeeding a manager like Wenger, and the fact that there are only a couple of managers in the world who wouldn't look like a downgrade on him to me - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the post-Wenger era might not be one with Champions League every single season.

say yes

forum master baiter
One thing that cannot be overlooked is the fact that he's won the champions league 3 times as manager. That's more than Fergie, Mourinho, Benitez, Guardiola, Capello, Raijkaard, Wenger, Clough, Shankly, LVG, Trapattoni, Cryuff, Happel, Del Bosque, Heynckes, Lippi..... you get the idea. Only Bob Paisley can match that. In the 60 years of European cup football only two managers have won the famous cup 3 times, Paisley and Ancelotti.

He's also only ever won the league 3 times in his 20 year career as a manager.

All while managing the minnows that are Juventus, Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid.

Balance is key

I rate our team as the 3rd best in the league - however you've missed my point.

I was drawing attention to the fact that changing managers has a huge impact on a squad. I doubt you'd describe Chelsea's Champions League winning XI as the 6th best team in the league but it didn't stop them finishing there that season. I don't think United's squad went from by far the best in the league to 7th best in the league just because they signed Fellaini and Mata.

I don't think our squad is that much better than Sp**s/Liverpool/United's that we could make top 4 if the manager we bring in after Wenger isn't up to it.

Given the difficulties anyone would face in succeeding a manager like Wenger, and the fact that there are only a couple of managers in the world who wouldn't look like a downgrade on him to me - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the post-Wenger era might not be one with Champions League every single season.

its easy to find examples of a new manager doing great - sometimes the squad reacts positive, sometimes they dont - it just needs to be a good fit.

your statement that chances are we will drop out of top four is a little silly imo, it could happen surely, but chances are we wont. our team is superior to those behind us and should be in contention for the league title.

your united example isnt really valid - Moyes isnt a very good manager, his skills at Everton wasnt what United needed - and Yes United did win the year before, but Robin van persie scored 26 league goals and made 15 assist - it was another Suarez case and he completely dropped of.

There is a wide consensus that the United team Ferguson left wasnt up to the task - didnt help that they hired a mediocre coach. without van persie having his best season ever they wouldnt have won.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
If Wenger wins the league wouldn't you want him to continue on and try and retain it?

I would yes, that would be the only way he gets an extension in my book.

Also, I want him to add a bit of more weight to his career at Arsenal. If he can somehow grind out 2 more PL trophies, over the next 6 years (assuming he gets another 3 year contract), would do it for me.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom