• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lionel Messi - could he become the greatest of all time?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I know many Barcelona fans who think he already is. But I personally rate the 2003-06 Ronaldinho higher. One performance in particular, I think it was away at Stamford Bridge, when Messi first came to the attention of most English fans - Ronaldinho was UNbelievable. He was fast, strong and incredibly intelligent. Nobody could get the ball off him, the guy would even control the ball with his back in an actual game.

So what do you guys think? Would you take the Messi of now or the Dinho of 3-4 yrs ago?

ricky1985

Established Member
Messi is more my sort of player. Although he has lots of strings to his bow, for me Messi is pure intelligence. Thats what I love.

It's why am so excited about Jack Wilshere because he has this incredible intelligence. He just knows the right pass, the right run, at the right time. It is a gift you can't teach anyone.

Ronaldinho was a phenmenon, and I'd take him over C.Ronaldo anyday, but not Messi. Messi just has an almost genial quality to him, his brain works faster than everybody elses, so it doesn't matter how fast, or strong his marker is, because he outhinks them.

He should win the WPLOTY for me.

General

Established Member
Sad for me to admit but Maradona, in terms of pure footballing ability, is the greatest of all time.

Ronaldinho 2003 -2006 was a genius. That goal against Cech at Stamford Bridge were he 'shimmied' his was into the edge of their penalty box and with no back lift, planted the ball in the net, was arguably one of the greatest goals of all time. Cech did not even move.

I think Messi has some way to go to matching Ronnie. His injury situation hasn't helped.

True Gooner

Established Member
Was just thinking about making a thread on him.

Messi is one of the few players I actually admire outside Arsenal. He's supremely talented and some of the things he does is nothing short of magic, but he also comes across as a very honest player. I've seen players clatter into him with tackles that would turn Ronaldo's hair white, but he shakes them off and jumps up almost immediately.

In all fairness to the greasy haired one, Ronaldo is probably more productive and has achieved a lot more, but somehow I cannot respect him. I applaud his ability, since he is to United what Henry was to Arsenal but, whether its just because he plays for United, or because he acts like such a **** at the best of times I can never look up to him.

On topic - Ronaldinho 04-07 was a better player to Messi of now, but again I never liked him for some reason.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
Messi is amazingly talented, maybe not at the level of Ronaldinho in 04-07 but I think that is purely down to the injuries hes had. If he can stay fit the next few seasons I think he can surpass Ronaldinho and state his case as one of the greatest ever.

outlaw_member

Established Member
At 21 the World is his oyster. He has all the football talent that God could bestow upon him, and he's had a similar start to his career like Ronaldo did. Only himself and injuries can stop him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Messi is more my sort of player. Although he has lots of strings to his bow, for me Messi is pure intelligence. Thats what I love.

It's why am so excited about Jack Wilshere because he has this incredible intelligence. He just knows the right pass, the right run, at the right time. It is a gift you can't teach anyone.

Ronaldinho was a phenmenon, and I'd take him over C.Ronaldo anyday, but not Messi. Messi just has an almost genial quality to him, his brain works faster than everybody elses, so it doesn't matter how fast, or strong his marker is, because he outhinks them.

He should win the WPLOTY for me.

Messi is about natural ability. Incredible close control and the ability to navigate at speed through tight spaces. You know, like Robben :wink: I'm not really sure where intelligence comes into it. Not even game intelligence which Dinho had in abundance.

IBL

Established Member
I love watching Messi, he's a real exciting talent. I think Henry described him best when he said he plays like a player in FIFA ir Pro Evo...the way he dribbles and moves with such great close control and speed. He seems to have a real zest and passion for the game and although he's a bit of a cheating Argie he's a likeable character.

dos1986

Established Member
Not a patch on a young Ronaldinho or even Kaka imo.I like Messi but he hasn't really done enough to deserve all the hype he gets.He's won many things in his short career, but he was never the star in any of them.Since Ronnie left/went awol, his club have won nothing.People talk as if he can carry a team like Maradona did or be the difference nearly all the time like Ronnie, Zidane, Kaka and so on.

Great player and all, but he has a long way to go before we can start comparing him to Ronaldinho, Zidane etc.He's not as good as Rivaldo was imo and alot of other Barca greats.

thegame24

Established Member
lol no way messi is class, no maradona but defo amongst the best.

Best player in the world right now.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Which player has starred throughout their teams success, at the of 21? Those players you mention weren't arguably the best player in the World at that age.

He does have a long way to go, but he has already won many trophies. He may never have been the key player, but neither were Vieira and Henry when they won the World Cup. But that doesn't stop people mentioning that, and rightly so. He has the talent to be the best, but talent alone means nothing, ask Alvaro Recoba. If he continues performing like he is right now for the next decade, than I have no doubt that he will become the greatest.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
**** me, what a goal. Anyone just see Messi's winner against Osasuna?

Kain

Established Member
I saw the goal, it was an awesome strike... BUT why did the goalkeeper not even stick out his arm to even try save it, i know im being a picky bastard i just noticed none of the commentators even mentioned it. It ws like he went to put out his arm then thought 'why bother' if Almunia had done that he'd be getting ripped to pieces on here. Then again thats only going on the judgment of seeing the goal once.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
Messi's goal: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1956962/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1956962/</a>

IBL

Established Member
Great goal but keeper should be at least trying to save it and not make it like he's doing a grobbelar

number_0

Established Member
Potential is there to be that.
TBH, does anyone see him leave Barca, and to where realistically.

bradleywalrus

Potential is right as much as people would lead you to believe he has not proved himself!

People have proclaimed that he is the best based on an argument against other players!

They do not like Man U and ronaldo, they do not like the english league, so they say the usual Barca(permanently the greatest team in the world) has the best player in the world, in this case their best player is Messi so it's him now. He has played well, and dominated many la liga matches but last year in particular he did not shine, only 2 goals (unimportant goals in routs) for the whole second half of the season leading them to third! He has to win matches at the highest level in the champions league, in the world cup, and don't bother saying "oh he scored two against Celtic", "oh he played well against Man U", "did you see Argetina in the world cup?", "how about his stunning performance in the olympics?", he has to win these matches to become the best in the world never mind best ever!

He did not lead Barca to champions league success, he hasn't even lead barca to a la liga yet even with the poor quality of Real Madrid in recent times, when they won Ronaldinho was still the best in the world and he should not be mentioned near Maradona. Yes he has played well with Argentina but he has not done it on the biggest stage yet, they had a great team in the last world cup and their best players were Riquelme and Ayala.

So yes he has the potential to become the best player ever, yes he does, but that will depend on what happens in the future right now he just has great potential, expectation and hype

Right now Kaka and Ronaldo have achieved, sure Messi could achieve more by the time he is their age but he most definitely has not yet.

Viking

I really don't think you're able to label a player 'greatest ever'. Hell, I even think it's hard to name the best player in the world for just one year!

Football has been played for so many years, and the game has evolved a lot, so how do you really compare the feats of say, Zidane or Ronaldinho to the ones of Cruyff (apologies to any Dutchmen if I spelled that wrong :lol:), Best, Maradona, Pele or Eusebio?

I honestly don't think you can.

We can easily agree that Messi is a phenomenal player though - he has the passing ability of players like Bergkamp or Michael Laudrup (some of the best passers in the last 10-15 years imo) and the technical ability (especially the close control) of Maradona.

To illustrate my point about 'greatest ever'-nominations - does anyone remember the list Pele made which named the 100 greatest living footballers.
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100</a>

This list includes names such as: Trezeguet, Saviola, Ballack, and Kluivert.
I am aware I have the benefit of hindsight, but none of those players really belong on a list of the 100 greatest footballers - and the list is only 4 years old!

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom