• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal-Today,7:45, So close yet so far.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Actually what Growler said is 100% correct.

It may not have been a blatant penalty - but at best it was a 50-50 and we lucked out.

Truth be told, Toure's defending on the right was diabolical in both matches and we paid the price in both matches.

Likewise Senderos.

As for the keeper...we have been shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic long enough. Time to cough up the funds and get the right person in our first 11.

At the end of the day, yes I'd much rather Liverpool take the trophy instead of Manure or the Chavs.

Liverpool rode their luck and to be quite honest.....we had more than enough chances to bury the whole tie at home WITHOUT the Hleb non-decision.

This year we have fallen short and that is largely because of our reduced squad. Players are clearly knackered.

If you are going to blame anyone - blame Arsène, however, keep in mind there was no way or knowing we would lose Rosicky, RVP and Eduardo the way we have this season.

I look at this season and feel that regardless of those injuries, there are certain inadaquecies in our squad at the moment that will not go away no matter how long Arsène keeps pretending they don't exist. I'm referring to:

1. The winger issue
2. Central defender to partner Gallas
3. A world class goal keeper.

All of these issues were issues at the start of the season and nothing was done to address them. In my honest opinion - that is why we failed.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
People need to realize how incredibly thin the line between triumph and heartbreak is at this level. We were 5 minutes away from a great european night, where no doubt we would have received a media ****-fest about the incredible ability, style, quality, and mental strength by the brilliant team that has finally come of age.

Instead, we now have to hear all about liverpool's european legend and benitez's tactical mastermind. I have replayed the so called penalty a thousand times over, and no matter what team you support, there is absolutely no chance in hell that that was a penalty. Fabregas gave babel the slightest of pulls outside the area, but that doesnt matter because it was Touré who was judged to have comitted an offence, and if you watch closely, babel, aware of gallas's presence just in front of him, was clearly trying to make contact with Touré using his left arm before he tripped himself over. From any angle you look at it, there was absolutely no contact made by Touré what so ever. It was the most stone cold dive you will ever see.

What bothers me so much is people who say 'its your fault that you did not kill the game off' or other random highlighting of faults in our game, which, as legitemate as they are, does not in any way change the fact that we would be heading into a semi final tie with chelsea right now had it not been for yet another refereeing **** up. It was not because of the kop, it was not because of beintez or gerrard or torres or reina - it was because of one wrong penalty call.

Very good post!! I mean i bet we would not be reading on the new set of players or thing squad had we gone through. Its very unfortunate that so many of us make noise only once the final result is there. Fair and square some calls one will make even if we win..but a lot of this over analysis is pure Bs*. The ref decided who goes. Its not blaming its a fact. I dont know why when obvious decisions against the team are made and one points out its whigning.

Our defense has been very weak lately but its the same players who were very good early on. We wre **** scared when Toure was heading to Africa, now some claim he is not even CB material..(we all agree FB is not his position).

We lost end of and we will move on but we did enuff to go through. Scoring 2 goals away is not a f*cing simple task yet you read some fool stating we are "toothless in attach".What the **** did they expect, 3 goals? Idiotic fans

Our defense has suffered and that is the only thing that has been consistnely obvious for the past 6 weeks. I was very worried about the defense even after we scored the 2nd goal. I still have every faith in this team though.

The amount of anger/disappointment/venting that is comin from here exposes your inner beliefs that you think we are (the current team) good enuff to be in the Semis and good enuff to be leading the league.

The reason spuds fans will NOT be making noise about not winning the league/progressing the cL is cos they believe their team is not good enuff. We do believe we are good enuff and we have reason to cos the team has proven it.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Growler, it wasn't the same as the penalty in first leg. Scorpion, it wasn't even 50-50. It was 100-0 that it was never a penalty.

See Jose_Reyes post. it explains everything. superb post.

Kenyonhater

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp

"But, after this incredible Champions’ League quarter-final, the temptation to play the what if game is overwhelming. What if both big penalty shouts had either been given or denied over the two legs? What if Adebayor hadn’t blown his chance in front of goal on Tuesday? What if the inspirational Flamini hadn’t been forced out of the fray? What if Senderos hadn’t had such a bad night at the office?

The honest answer to all of them is that, today, the media would be full of laudatory comment about Wenger’s wonderful team, with lots of gushing stuff about how magnificently they have come of age, and copious references to Maradona, Messi and Giggs as Theo Walcott’s electrifying run to set up their second goal is rewarded with a permanent loop on Sky.

And, in truth, despite the crushing blow of losing from a position of strength on Tuesday, much of that actually still holds true.

For the first 30 minutes at Anfield, Wenger’s wonders were sublime, playing a brand of one-touch passing football that, at times, really was like watching Brazil. And, just like watching Brazil, they were always much more comfortable attacking the opposition than defending against them. So Senderos can be cited for his uncertainty on the night and Adebayor, despite getting on the scoresheet, has clearly lost potency as the season nears its end. Yet Arsenal are entitled to feel that, ultimately, they were undone by events, dear boy, as much as by any deep flaws in their own design."

This article makes the same point as JoseReyes above.. Very true about what the press would be saying if the pen hadn't been given and we'd held on. Narrow margins.

We definitely need strengthening, especially in central defence, wide midfield and maybe in goal but if Sagna, Rosicky and Eduardo had been fit and RvP was match-fit we'd have walked this tie over the two legs, simple as.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
_scorpion_ said:
Actually what Growler said is 100% correct.

It may not have been a blatant penalty - but at best it was a 50-50 and we lucked out.

Truth be told, Touré's defending on the right was diabolical in both matches and we paid the price in both matches.
Eh? So you think Hleb's was 50/50 too? FIFA reps and others saying the exact opposite. Forget it, I'm not sure you understood anything of what you just commented on.

alonso14

Established Member
i think Gallas is superb....i was asking for us to go for him when he was unsettled at Chelsea

off topic I know

I thought the Arsenal fans were good on Tuesday, and I have heard our place louder...Chelsea in 2005 was frightening

but we were good I just wish we could do that at a norml league game

ibby

Established Member
alonso14 said:
i think Gallas is superb....i was asking for us to go for him when he was unsettled at Chelsea

off topic I know

I thought the Arsenal fans were good on Tuesday, and I have heard our place louder...Chelsea in 2005 was frightening

Gallas is our best centre back, I think we need to relegate Toure to a bench defender, a Senderos role and bring someone in the summer, Woodgate would have been great in January.

DC Gunner

Established Member
Biggus said:
DC Gunner said:
I am still @ stage 3 in the following matches:

1- WC 1990 Final
2-Mike Riley @ OT that ended the 49 match streak
3-The CL final
4-The UEFA refs sucking up to 'pool
5-Martin Taylor being allowed to keep playing.

Of course, I haven't counted Cashley, because he does not count
:lol:

One does run up quite a store of grievances over time.......That's one of the prices you have to pay for caring about something/someone.
I am well aware of the human error element being part of life and football, I can and do get over that rather effortlessly; I also not an enthusiastic believer in Conspiracy theories in life in general.

The above instances though, I have a doubt and suspicion that they were not purely accidental or incidental, that is what makes it very hard to get over it or even accept the concept altogether.

When people say "even itself out", I agree, only if we are talking about random events, I believe that is the point I want to make behind all of this.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
alonso14 said:

off topic I know

The Kop looked brilliant all jumping up and down to the Torres song. Fair play for that, you dont see that in England.

You should change the lyrics slighty though, instead of "Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9" - "Fernando Torres, he's a cheating ****" would be more apt I feel. Still a great player.

alonso14

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
alonso14 said:

off topic I know

The Kop looked brilliant all jumping up and down to the Torres song. Fair play for that, you dont see that in England.

You should change the lyrics slighty though, instead of "Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9" - "Fernando Torres, he's a cheating c**t" would be more apt I feel. Still a great player.

the bouncing made me knackered

you can say what you like about him, but sometimes homosexuality seems so right

IBL

Established Member
Growler said:
Mate, just a quick response.

1. The penalty was the same as the one at your place in the first leg. One was given, one was not.
2. We were over you like a rash in the second half. Look at the 10 minutes prior to the walcott run.
3. I don't think you can fluke 1 win, 1 runner up and 1 semi-final (so far!) in 4 seasons. One final in 10 years, maybe.... ;)
4. Chelsea trying to play football? Who have you been watching? Its not been chelsea, thats for sure. How you could support chelsea or man u in europe ahead of liverpool is beyond me, and I am sure you are alone. Barca ahead of liverpool, understood, but man u or chelsea? don't get that one.
5. All crowds go through quiet times. We just have a lot less than others.
6. Sagna is the biggest missing piece in your team. You do need a decent keeper. Pay the money there, and get a decent keeper for the next few years. I would also recommend a centre back.
7. Walcott was awesome, and will become a player; great technique, but do think someone should have taken him out near the half way line (looks like we tried)

all in all, it was an awesome game with real adventure, and we didn't sit back for a 0-0
in response:
1- no way where they the same mate, Cesc pulled Babel's arm outside the box and Kolo was trying to get out of the way...Hleb's was clearer and right in front of the ref. All in all it's two huge decisions that went against Arsenal and for Liverpool (2 goals worth)
2- Arsenal were the better team in the first half and were the chasing the game when Torres scored hence huge gaps in the middle, apart from Torres' goal Liverpool barely created any meaningful chances.
3- Obviously Liverpool didnt completely fluke their way to those mentioned positions but they've had huge slices of luck along the way; controversial goal V Chels, the two pens of this game, questionable pen Vs Milan in final (I was happy for Pool to win that day), the Inter games against 10 men. Had the penalty had not been given yesterday and Arsenal had progressed would you still be saying the same? Would you have been happy that you opted to go 4-4-2 which enabled Arsenal to dominate early and score the first goal bearing in mind Liverpool could have gone through keeping a clean sheet?
4- I;ve cooled down a bit now, I'd prefer Barca to win overall because of Henry but of all the English team I stick by what I said. I've had enough of this 'I dont want ManU/Chels to win cos I hate them and they're buying the success' crap, they're at least more entertaining and would be more deserving and as a neutral and that's what I prefer now. I've seen Chelsea at least as many times as Liverpool and the former have impressed me more, when we played them at SB they were playing the more attractive, decisive, quick football and not us. I'll still be avoiding the semis like the tax-man, though.
5- fair enough, just thought that with backs to the wall and quarters of the CL it'd be nosier.
6- no arguments there
7- a couple of players certainly did try ;)

Both teams played their parts in yesterdays game, unfortunately for Arsenal we were let down badly by our defence and the ref's decision at the end sealed the misery. We lost due to a number of factors, I give credit to Liverpool because in Europe they play like a team that doesnt know when they're beaten, I respect that but it doesnt for me mean they deserve to go all the way.

Alfonso

Established Member
true gooner said:
ibby said:
Woodgate would have been great in January.

Yeah, because we really, really need another injury prone player :lol:

Ironically he has been alright for Sp**s this term injury wise. He is a leader and would have been a good signing. In hindsight we should have signed him. I heard we may sign Wheater from Boro. The new Martin Keown apparentley.

alonso14

Established Member
Alfonso said:
true gooner said:
ibby said:
Woodgate would have been great in January.

Yeah, because we really, really need another injury prone player :lol:

Ironically he has been alright for Sp**s this term injury wise. He is a leader and would have been a good signing. In hindsight we should have signed him. I heard we may sign Wheater from Boro. The new Martin Keown apparentley.

we are after him too apparantly

Biggus

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
People need to realize how incredibly thin the line between triumph and heartbreak is at this level. We were 5 minutes away from a great european night, where no doubt we would have received a media ****-fest about the incredible ability, style, quality, and mental strength by the brilliant team that has finally come of age.

Instead, we now have to hear all about liverpool's european legend and benitez's tactical mastermind. I have replayed the so called penalty a thousand times over, and no matter what team you support, there is absolutely no chance in hell that that was a penalty. Fabregas gave babel the slightest of pulls outside the area, but that doesnt matter because it was Touré who was judged to have comitted an offence, and if you watch closely, babel, aware of gallas'spresence just in front of him, was clearly trying to make contact with Touré using his left arm before he tripped himself over. From any angle you look at it, there was absolutely no contact made by Touré what so ever. It was the most stone cold dive you will ever see.

What bothers me so much is people who say 'its your fault that you did not kill the game off' or other random highlighting of faults in our game, which, as legitemate as they are, does not in any way change the fact that we would be heading into a semi final tie with chelsea right now had it not been for yet another refereeing **** up. It was not because of the kop, it was not because of beintez or gerrard or torres or reina - it was because of one wrong penalty call.

Very good post!! I mean i bet we would not be reading on the new set of players or thing squad had we gone through. Its very unfortunate that so many of us make noise only once the final result is there. Fair and square some calls one will make even if we win..but a lot of this over analysis is pure Bs*. The ref decided who goes. Its not blaming its a fact. I dont know why when obvious decisions against the team are made and one points out its whigning.

Our defense has been very weak lately but its the same players who were very good early on. We wre s**t scared when Touré was heading to Africa, now some claim he is not even CB material..(we all agree FB is not his position).

We lost end of and we will move on but we did enuff to go through. Scoring 2 goals away is not a f*cing simple task yet you read some fool stating we are "toothless in attach".What the f**k did they expect, 3 goals? Idiotic fans

Our defense has suffered and that is the only thing that has been consistnely obvious for the past 6 weeks. I was very worried about the defense even after we scored the 2nd goal. I still have every faith in this team though.

The amount of anger/disappointment/venting that is comin from here exposes your inner beliefs that you think we are (the current team) good enuff to be in the Semis and good enuff to be leading the league.

The reason spuds fans will NOT be making noise about not winning the league/progressing the cL is cause they believe their team is not good enuff. We do believe we are good enuff and we have reason to cause the team has proven it.

I disagree, Since the hammerings by Spuds and ManU in the cups our deficiencies in squad depth and defence have been there for all to see. Then in the last month or so goals from open play by attackers have dried up. We are toothless in attack.
You call people idiotic, but you two are in the distinct minority. People here may be angry about the penalties, and depressed about the result of losing to a crap team, but they accept that we deserved to lose.
Every man and his dog could see this coming, if somehow we arsed past Liverpool, then we'd face humiliation at the hands of Chel$ki, or worse United!

To continue to blame the ref ignores the glaring inadequacy's that we've had as a team for months.

LeTallec

Most sections of the media following Tuesday praised the quality of the game. However a very interesting fact that hasnt been highlighted is this.

Arsenal were ahead 3 times in the tie

1-0 at the Emirates
1-0 at Anfield
2-2 at Anfield

The managed to keep those leads for 3 mins, 17mins and 1mins - thats a total of 21mins that they were ahead for in the whole 180 mins in the tie.

Liverpool on the other hand were effectively ahead in the tie from the 26th min in the 1st leg to the 13th in the second leg, then again from Torres's goal to Adebayors and from Gerrards penalty onwards. Thats a total of 96 mins.

Think about it
Liverpool ahead for 96mins
Draw for 63mins
Arsenal ahead for 21mins

When you think about it, for over half the tie we were ahead, 4 times longer than Arsenal.

Thats something for pundits to think about but also shows the power of our team that it took us no time to bounce back from falling behind 3 times !!

thegame24

Established Member
LeTallec said:
Most sections of the media following Tuesday praised the quality of the game. However a very interesting fact that hasnt been highlighted is this.

Arsenal were ahead 3 times in the tie

1-0 at the Emirates
1-0 at Anfield
2-2 at Anfield

The managed to keep those leads for 3 mins, 17mins and 1mins - thats a total of 21mins that they were ahead for in the whole 180 mins in the tie.

Liverpool on the other hand were effectively ahead in the tie from the 26th min in the 1st leg to the 13th in the second leg, then again from Torres's goal to Adebayors and from Gerrards penalty onwards. Thats a total of 96 mins.

Think about it
Liverpool ahead for 96mins
Draw for 63mins
Arsenal ahead for 21mins

When you think about it, for over half the tie we were ahead, 4 times longer than Arsenal.

Thats something for pundits to think about but also shows the power of our team that it took us no time to bounce back from falling behind 3 times !!

wow, a stupid scouser. well i never

Top Bottom