• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool 4-2 Arsenal-Today,7:45, So close yet so far.

ricky1985

Established Member
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
I'd also like to say how much of a complete and utter shame it is that Arsène wenger's reputation is being tarnished by a nation that imo has long been unable to distinguish the simple difference between a sore moaner/loser and a rational thinker.

Wenger has not once come out after a game where we were thoroughly and fairly outplayed and outclassed and said that we deserved to win. When he talks about the penalty decision after the liverpool game, he is merely pointing out the decisive call in the tie which in the end seperated the two sides - which, as manager of the twice wrongly penalized football club - he has every f****g right to do so.

Scorpion, i am not refering to our season here. I am simply saying all this in relation to the 90 minutes played at anfield on tuesday night. Did we lose because we fell apart at the end of the game ? No, we did not. Because Touré did not panic and bring babel down. THAT would have been us falling apart. The ref awarding a ridiculous penalty - THAT was the pivotal difference in the tie and therefore we would both be sitting here discussing a heroic arsenal comeback had it not been for that one wrong call. It is not an excuse, it is not blame - it is a fact.

Absolutely agree 1000% with the highlighted part. We have the most honourable manager in the Premiership, by a long, long way.
These cretins who paint him as an irrational whiner are a disgrace to their professions.

_scorpion_

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
_scorpion_ said:
My point was clear from the start.

Not my problem if you cannot see the wood from the trees.
Wow, this is either some kind of bizarre wind-up or you're just plain stubborn.

You said Growler was 100% correct with respect to his post, in particular the conversation about the two penalties. Growler maintained that the two penalties were equal - I and others disagreed. Now, you've just said or tried to say that Babel's was 50/50 (no problems with that, if that's your view), but that Hleb's was a definite penalty. To me there were not equal, to you they initially were (via Growler) and now they are not. So that's basically all I meant and if you think your point was clear from that then good luck to you.

On the other hand, we both agree to some extent that since they were not given/given, it's over, we can't change it, and that other reasons (besides the penalty call(s)) were to blame etc. So that's the end of it for me.

Growler was right.

Both penalties were equal.

Hleb's was a clear penalty - we both agree.

Your saying the babel decison was incorrect and I'm saying it was 50-50 and we got the short stick (that's my opinion and clearly you diagree which is fine).

I don't see how I was unclear.

Too me, the whole focus on the penalty / non-penalty decision is highly reactionist to the events on the night. That's fair enough too.

But it is a drop in the bucket compared to the flaws in the side at the moment that fail to get the appropriate focus.

Let me make this clear - I don't think we need to rebuild totally again....But we do need to make some difficult decisions quickly (I.e. over the summer) in order to get the best out of the squad and avoid being in this type of situation again.

When you think about it - we have played that Liverpool tie numerous times from the start of 2008. It is the same thing all the time - Groundhog day all over! Only in some matches, we escape with the 3 points and in others - we get draws or losses. What we experienced on that particular night as not new (if you have been watching our matches from the turn of the year).

The injustice were all feeling about that referee decision is IN MY OPINION disproportionately misguided. Most of it should be directed at Arsène and to some extent the players.

In summary - if Arsène gets his squad right (at the start of the season or at the very least added in Janurary) - we'd be walking away with the title & CL THIS YEAR.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Fair enough _scorpion_, we'll agree to agree what we agree on.

I'm pretty much on board with most of your additional comments too, especially the not rebuilding bit and that the squad with a couple of additions is close.

I always liked Sub_Zero better anyway. :wink:

LeTallec

arsenal_hleb said:
arsenal was on top of the league for over 20 games.

it means we deserve to win the league.

great work

no it means you should have won the league but lost it. We on the other hands should have won having led for so long

LeTallec

arsenal_hleb said:
arsenal was on top of the league for over 20 games.

it means we deserve to win the league.

great work

no it means you should have won the league but lost it. We on the other hands should have won having led for so long

Illusion

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Jose_Reyes_2005 said:
I'd also like to say how much of a complete and utter shame it is that Arsène wenger's reputation is being tarnished by a nation that imo has long been unable to distinguish the simple difference between a sore moaner/loser and a rational thinker.

Wenger has not once come out after a game where we were thoroughly and fairly outplayed and outclassed and said that we deserved to win. When he talks about the penalty decision after the liverpool game, he is merely pointing out the decisive call in the tie which in the end seperated the two sides - which, as manager of the twice wrongly penalized football club - he has every f****g right to do so.

Scorpion, i am not refering to our season here. I am simply saying all this in relation to the 90 minutes played at anfield on tuesday night. Did we lose because we fell apart at the end of the game ? No, we did not. Because Touré did not panic and bring babel down. THAT would have been us falling apart. The ref awarding a ridiculous penalty - THAT was the pivotal difference in the tie and therefore we would both be sitting here discussing a heroic arsenal comeback had it not been for that one wrong call. It is not an excuse, it is not blame - it is a fact.

Absolutely agree 1000% with the highlighted part. We have the most honourable manager in the Premiership, by a long, long way.
These cretins who paint him as an irrational whiner are a disgrace to their professions.

The bold part is very easy to agree with and yet another important point about our club that has come out on this forum in recent days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom