• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool v Arsenal, 15/08/10, SS1, 4pm GMT

Gonner_88

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I'm pretty sure Clichy also initiated the move that lead to our only 'chance' from open play in the first half with a run up the left flank.

I think he did but his defending has gone down the drain asa and it's worrying for someone who was regarded as one of the best left backs in the world 2 years ago.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Why does Pool's kit look awful?

Much hasn't changed over the last couple of seasons, apart from their Sponsor.

As ordinary as a Liverpool jersey could look like.

ricky1985

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I'm pretty sure Clichy also initiated the move that lead to our only 'chance' from open play in the first half with a run up the left flank.
Yeah, Eboue's half chance came from Clichy running down the left and getting a decent ball inside to Nasri.

Asa, do you still think Clichy is way ahead of Gibbs? You surely agree he was awful yesterday, I mean Kuyt beat one-on-one perhaps 6 or 7 times.

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, he was left very isolated - Arshavin did absolutely zip defensively, and nobody else from midfield ever seemed to drop back to help out either.

Ahead of Gibbs? Well, it's up to Gibbs to prove himself, really. I don't think Gael did well, in the second half anyway (thought he was good in the first), but I suppose Kieran has to show he's capable of better.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Timleaf said:
redwhiteAustrian said:
Why does Pool's kit look awful?

Because that's what my eyes tell my brain.

:lol:

I thought "your eyes must have already told that your brain" before yesterday.

I just can't see a big difference between their current kit and the ones before those.

However.....

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
-Shaun- said:
Forgot to ask, does anyone know why were wearing yellow shorts instead of brown yesterday?

I guess the shorts of the home team and the away team have to be different.

And red shorts aren't easy to distinguish from brown ones.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Fantastic day out yesterday for the most part. Im glad the complete indiscipline and debauchery has returned to my weekend.

A great sing song in the sweat box that was the Arkles before hand, and carried it on in the groud. Great support from our boys.

Shame the performance was a bit ****. They were there for the taking, but we looked clueless going forward.

Although, a point away at Anfield has to always be seen as a decent result.

qs

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Well, he was left very isolated - Arshavin did absolutely zip defensively, and nobody else from midfield ever seemed to drop back to help out either.

Which is only made worse when the opposition have a very attacking right back and we have no proper DM to fill the gap left by Arshavin.

Defensively I most think Sagna and Clichys problems come from the set up and a lack of support from other areas. We've been vulnerable from wide areas since we stopped using 4-4-2. We seem to be playing a 4-5-1 in attack and a 4-3-3 in defence, which is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing.

DK Gooner

Good post Ricky and more or less what I thought about the game.

I would have started Rosicky ahead of Wilshere in the centre and had Jack start ahead of Eboue. Eboue does not do enough to stretch teams who are good defensively. However, I think playing Clichy and Sagna is to the team's detriment. Sagna is a better defender while Clichy is a bit better going forward, but with our lack of width, we should sacrifice a non-contributing FB for an attacking one. This would actually help us defend better from a possesion point of view, by not ceding it every time with aimless corsses into the box. If we play Clichy, then play Eboue ahead of Sagna, and if we start with Sagna play Gibbs. From deep positions they would offer more penetration down their flank and add width and a measure of composure in the final 1/3. My preference is to drop Clichy for Gibbs as the latter has a very good cross and shot from his stints as an offensive midfielder.

Overall while Koscielny had a good debut, red card aside, the team was pretty poor defensively often struggling when we had superior numbers. Liverpool at present are nowhere near the hardest test our defence will face.

Nasri started well, but far too often in the 2nd half delayed his pass which stifled our attacking threat as we rely heavily on transitioning the ball quicky to create opportunities such as Rosicky's give and go. Our central players need to do more as well - either shoot from range occaisionaly or pass it quickly. Chamakh needed to be more involved and I feared that what I saw in pre-season where he cut an isolated figure would repeat itself come the season proper. He should probably drop deeper to get the ball at times, not always, but when he does, if he can draw the attentions of the opposing CBs or DM there could be gaps opened up for our central players or WF to attack if they are quick witted. Our way of playing this 4-3-3 is far too inhibiting and cumbersome against good teams at the moment.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
This is one of the criticisms I had with our formation once van Persie got injured. The furthest of the midfielders wasn't even a part of the midfield, but played alot more closer to the striker, often almost alongside him. Obviously, it was a compromise, but that came as a huge sacrifice to our midfield, which then ended up relying heavily on Song and Diaby to control the game.
On this subject, which was discussed quite a bit a few pages back for anyone who is interested, Big Nuts AKA Mr Boombastic made this brilliant post showing Cesc's position, and the rest of the midfield/forwards, pre-Robin's injury and post;

Mr Boombastic said:
Our line-ups average position before van Persie got injured last season...

Everton

everton-1.jpg

Wigan

wigan-1.jpg

West Ham

westham-1.jpg

Wolves

wolves-2-1.jpg

After van Persie got injured...

Chelsea

stoke-1.jpg

Man Utd

chelsea-1.jpg

Stoke

stoke-1.jpg

Who can spot the difference?

Thanks, Nuts.

ricky1985

Established Member
Also to dispel the myth about Cesc being "more productive as an attacking midfielder/second striker", as we so often here;

Mr Boombastic said:
and just to make it clear, so that some ***** doesn't come on here and say but Fabregas has more end product playing as an AM, blah blah blah...

Fabregas playing in the box-to-box pre van Persie's injury role...

15 Games
9 Goals
13 Assists
5 2nd assists
2 3rd assists

Total goal involvement = 29 in 15 Games, 1.93 per game

Fabregas playing as the AM/SS after van Persie's injury...

21 Games
10 Goals
6 Assists
4 2nd assists
2 3rd assists

Total goal involvement = 22 in 21 Games, 1.04 per game
Combine that with the heat maps in the last post, and it's beyond question that Cesc plays his best football, and produces his best numbers, as a proper, box-to-box central midfielder.

The numbers we were producing as a team early last season seemed to have been forgotten somewhat, we were scoring for fun. Now please go back to that system for the next game and beyond, Arsène. Song sitting, 2 proper midfielders slightly ahead of him, and 3 out and out forwards. It's so simple.

Great work, Nuts.

kel varnsen

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Also to dispel the myth about Cesc being "more productive as an attacking midfielder/second striker", as we so often here;

Mr Boombastic said:
and just to make it clear, so that some ***** doesn't come on here and say but Fabregas has more end product playing as an AM, blah blah blah...

Fabregas playing in the box-to-box pre van Persie's injury role...

15 Games
9 Goals
13 Assists
5 2nd assists
2 3rd assists

Total goal involvement = 29 in 15 Games, 1.93 per game

Fabregas playing as the AM/SS after van Persie's injury...

21 Games
10 Goals
6 Assists
4 2nd assists
2 3rd assists

Total goal involvement = 22 in 21 Games, 1.04 per game
Combine that with the heat maps in the last post, and it's beyond question that Cesc plays his best football, and produces his best numbers, as a proper, box-to-box central midfielder.

not necessarily. correlation != causation. we were more productive in general with van persie on the pitch than we were without him. so you can't really conclude that cesc is as, or even more, productive as a box-to-box midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder.

ricky1985

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
How reliable are those maps? In a couple of them they have Sagna at LB, Clichy at RB, Vermaelen on the right hand side.
Looks like some of them have been reversed, so some players are on the wrong side. Their depths are still the same though.

ricky1985

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
not necessarily. correlation != causation. we were more productive in general with van persie on the pitch than we were without him. so you can't really conclude that cesc is as, or even more, productive as a box-to-box midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder.
Still, it does show that Cesc is capable of producing impressive numbers without having to be pushed so far forward. I've heard it said so many times "I like Fabregas in that advanced role because he is more productive." He can produce ridiculous numbers, and still offer all the benefits you get with him play deeper in central midfield.

Humble Rex

Established Member
Fabregas, for me, is at his best when he is relieved of some of his defensive duties, but still part of a midfield 3. This was how we played before RVP got injured.

I don´t think Fabregas is any worse offensively playing in the advanced role, but the team suffers because the balance of the team is all wrong.

I don´t think Cesc runs any less in a game playing in the advanced role, but much of his defensive running is in no man´s land and doesn´t really help the team.

Top Bottom