• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Looking closer to home players wise.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Holding has worked in as much as we should get 10x what we paid for him.

This is how we should do it. Take gambles on players you might not keep but at least make money on.

We paid 2m for him. Who's paying 20m?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Dont like getting into politics here but those poster who keep saying about British hype and signing English players is just a hype/myth type thing where are you actually from in the world?

BobP

Memri Fan
Anyone rate Kalvin Phillips? Impressed me the few times I've seen Leeds this season and obviously he was brilliant against us in the cup. Seems far more mobile than Xhaka in front of the defence.
EDIT - Just seen he was mentioned earlier in thread.

There are a bunch of quality players in the Championship. Eze is another that comes to mind, absolute baller in a mediocre QPR side.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Someone definitely would. He's homegrown and has shown enough and is young enough.

What has he shown you watching Arsenal? And people on here are saying that mid table teams ot relegation teams wont have the money. So who's signing him?

mpower2540

So where does a team 9th in the PL with limited funds sign players from?
A very good question! It depends on our financial situation, honestly I think Arteta is gonna have to demand some backing from the ownership to seriously invest in the squad otherwise I think we’re screwed no matter what course we take.

I’m not totally against your suggestion I just think we need to be looking at the right profile of player, solves our issues and fits how we want to play rather than just going along the lines of this player plays well for this team so yeah let’s buy him. From a personal standpoint our lacklustre recruitment has put us in a situation where the only way we can get out of it is buying top quality which as we know doesn’t come cheap so unless we invest I think we’re f’d and will continue to finish between 6th and 10th

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
A very good question! It depends on our financial situation, honestly I think Arteta is gonna have to demand some backing from the ownership to seriously invest in the squad otherwise I think we’re screwed no matter what course we take.

I’m not totally against your suggestion I just think we need to be looking at the right profile of player, solves our issues and fits how we want to play rather than just going along the lines of this player plays well for this team so yeah let’s buy him. From a personal standpoint our lacklustre recruitment has put us in a situation where the only way we can get out of it is buying top quality which as we know doesn’t come cheap so unless we invest I think we’re f’d and will continue to finish between 6th and 10th

But where do you think a team that is 9th in the league, offers no Europe, is at the very beginning of a potential improvement could take 3-4 years or more to get back to top 4 and has apparently no or little money get their players from?

And even if Kronke put in 100m of his own money which is unlikely. How do you attract players. Every signing on 200k a week? Which is unsustainable and bad for team moral.

This is not something we can buy our way out of. We need to be smarter and looking for quality players who havent peaked yet or who have another level in them. Exactly the thing Leciester do. As do Wolves. People talk about Mendes but if there wasnt a decent project at Wolves and a clear progression players would be leaving after a year not staying to build something.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Was speaking to my barber yesterday who's a big Villa fan, says Mings has been average, says a lot of fans can't believe they spent 30M on him so I'd stay away.

I still think Ake should be our number 1 target.

Mings is so average, because he’s a unit people rate him.

Same with Ake, both of them are big parts of two of the worst defences in the league. Surely alarm bells should be ringing.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Same with Ake, both of them are big parts of two of the worst defences in the league. Surely alarm bells should be ringing.

Roy Keane got relegated with Forest.

Wijnaldum got relegated with Newcastle.

Michael Carrick and Jermaine Defoe got relegated with West ham.

You can be a good individual player in a bad team.

Hence why if Auba goes it will probably be to a team a lot better placed than us. And I'm sure Real Madrid fans wouldnt turn their noses up saying oh no we we are signing someone from Arsenal.

Last edited:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Bournemouth I'd only consider Aké. Think he has a profile that complements Saliba. What has happened to Brooks, by the way?
I'm kind of going cold on Grealish the last few games I've seen of Villa. Douglas Luiz looks decent, though. Seems like a player who can play football too well for his teammates. McGinn also disappointed me. (saw the last two Villa games)
I like Buendia at Norwich. Lewis might be interesting as a talented back-up to Tierney. Nothing coming through in our own academy there.
Wouldn't take anyone at Brighton, nor Crystal Palace.

Bogle, Phillips and Benrahma look talented in the Championship, but that's based on YouTube.

teamsoutheast

For midfield, Jude Bellingham for me, if he's not already on his way to Dortmund, we should be actively interested. I also think Morgan Gibbs-White is another very good midfield prospect but I doubt that Wolves would even entertain any interest in him. I do think Rben Neves should be another option and feel we could prise him away from Wolves. I'd also take Benrahma, Buendia, or Eberechi Eze.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Anyone rate Hojbjerg? He's linked to Ajax for a moderate fee (€10-15m) and I believe Sp*ds has shown interest.

Don't know him very well, but seems like a unit, decently good on the ball and stats show he actually progresses from deep quite well.

Squad option at '6' in a midfield three? (if we were to lose AMN and/or Torreira)

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Mings is very vocal, his size and strength is an obvious plus. He’s a leader that’s why I wouldn’t mind him.

I don’t know about a top 3 team but he definitely could play higher up the table, he’s still young for a CB (mid/late twenties?)

I just think he’d be overpriced for his ability.

GunnerShy

The broader point about grass not always being greener, writing a player off because his last name is Roberts not Roberto and needing to find a recruitment strategy that outsmarted the market is right.

Problem with this, is anytime a Big 6 club tries to do it, and enquires about a player they start getting quoted £80m for Maguire (he's severely limited), £50m for AWB.

I mean IwI how John McGinn would go in our midfield, but what would Villa ask for him?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Dunk
McGinn
Grealish
Ndidi
ASM

That would be my 5 just now. Grealish is a baller. 2nd for chance creation in the league and everyone keeps saying we struggle for chance creation. If he can do that at Aston Villa what will he do with better players around him finishing the chances?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Roy Keane got relegated with Forest.

Wijnaldum got relegated with Newcastle.

Michael Carrick and Jermaine Defoe got relegated with West ham.

You can be a good individual player in a bad team.

Hence why if Auba goes it will probably be to a team a lot better placed than us. And I'm sure Real Madrid fans wouldnt turn their noses up saying oh no we we are signing someone from Arsenal.

Yeah but the difference is Mings is often responsible for so many of their mistakes. They’re honestly atrocious at the back, it’s not like Carrick or Defoe getting relegated when the rest of the team was trash, they’re making huge mistakes for these teams week in, week out and they’re getting quoted at around 60M.

Konsa is probably a better CB than him. Scandalous he got an England cap.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Dunk
McGinn
Grealish
Ndidi
ASM

That would be my 5 just now. Grealish is a baller. 2nd for chance creation in the league and everyone keeps saying we struggle for chance creation. If he can do that at Aston Villa what will he do with better players around him finishing the chances?

All of these would cost too much considering how little they would improve us.

I like McGinn, maybe he could be worth it and wouldn't cost much but probably more as a squad option.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

All of these would cost too much considering how little they would improve us.

I like McGinn, maybe he could be worth it and wouldn't cost much but probably more as a squad option.
Maybe. Like I said with Grealish people say we need someone to create chances and he is second to KDB in the league yet plays for a team on the brink of relegation.

I think he makes a massive difference to us for the cost. If we sell Guendouzi, Lacazette and AMN that should give us enough money to buy Grealish.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
People are talking about the price of players. But if you spend right now you dont have to spend again next year and the year after.

Blowing 150m today may save you 300m down the line.

That was always my gripe with Wenger. He was an economist and refused to pay more than he thought a player was worth. Despite his intelligence he never once considered. I might overpay today. But someone else will over pay in a couple of years.

KDB and Sterling at 50m a pop each was huge money. Even for a team with unlimited funds. But how much have they improved City and how much are they worth today. If you sold both easily 200m. 4 times the value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom