• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lyon want more than 26m for essien

sienna

Essien is a good player but he still has a lot to prove. It's obvious Lyon is definitely milking it for all it's worth.

Soler

Established Member
It's pretty obvious what they're trying to do with Essien:

1- get as much money as possible. Chelsea will pay anything as Marseille demonstrated last year by getting 24m for the hack Drogba.
2- keep on raising fee as high as possible so either a) they land a massive pay-day, as above; or b) price Chelsea out of buying him so they get to keep the player. It's win-win for Lyon either way.

Ally

...and of course, they have picked the right target as the only club on the planet who might be gullible enough to get themselves into such a preposterous position. To the merriment of all.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Essien is not worth that amount of money. Lyon are milking Chelsea for all they are worth.

Mark

Established Member
Good work by Lyon. No one would pay that much for Essien except the idiotic billionares at Chelski.

koivu

teitzo said:
Is it just me or is Lyon being a bit greedy??

Is LYON being greedy? No, they're being smart. CHELSEA are the greedy ones who are trying to take over the(footballing) world.

I must say that I am glad that most clubs have been rejecting Chelsea's overtures thus far, no matter how much silly money they're being offered.

Taozhe

Heh. It is chelsea's fault that every club are overcharging chelsea. They are too willing to pay their way to players. Imagine prostitutes charging Roman more because they know he's rich and if they reject him, he'll just pay more anyway to get what he wants.

A

Anonymous

Frankly speaking Lyon is actually greedy somehow .. To me no 1 is willin to part 26 millions pound for Essien and only IDIOTS will bid for more then that ..

_scorpion_

Established Member
Lyon is being greedy bu I suppose they are in a stronger position.

At the end of the day though this hurts all football clubs....ridiculous prices for players will hurt everyone so Lyon are better off saying he is not for sale, than holding out for a huge pay day if thier intention is to keep him.

What goes around comes around and one day Lyon will go after a player they believe is worth 10 million pounds, but be forced to pay the inflated market value, which they helped produced!

End of the day, if he is not for sale, just say so!

Allyboy

Established Member
It is because Chelsea are getting ahead of themselves.

If in 2003, Abramovich had bought say Lazio, or Athletico Madrid (very loose equviliants of Chelsea back then in their own countries) and they had spent £220 million to win their own league in the second season of trying, plus two runs to the SF of the Champions League, would you expect the big boys in Europe (and their world class players) to all suddenly want to play for them? Or to put it more pertinently, lets also assume Chelsea cleared their debt and did not need money, in this example would they just sell Lampard and Terry to either of these clubs just because they got rich quick? I very much doubt it!

At the end of the day why should clubs like Real, AC, Juve, Barca etc.. sell their top players to a club who two years ago were a reasonable sized English club and had no sort of pedigree in Europe? Fine I agree our CL performances have been average but at least we have a reputation of having an outstanding respected coach, having two or three world class players and playing great football. What did Chelsea have in 2003? None of these!

At some point, if the Russian sticks around, Chelsea will probably join the elite clubs, sadly it is inevitable.

But at the moment they are basically a glorified version of Blackburn Rovers in 1995 with 100 times the hype!

visitor99

Are Chelsea really trying to sign Essien?

Think back to Kaladze. Every second day for weeks there was a story about how close Chelsea were to signing him. By contrast, Del Horno and his club were relatively quiet. Chelsea appear as though they were playing one club off against the other - and ultimately got their primary target for a pretty decent price (for a change).

Maybe Chelsea are doing the same with Essien. There does seem to be a lot happening in the press around Chelsea's apparent interest in Essien. It could be for a reason. What if Chelsea were still seriously in for Gerrard, for example - or someone else.

Canuck

Established Member
Lyon just want to try and keep Essien there I think, and while He has stated he wants to go, they've possibly priced him out of his preffered move to ManUre. So they are hoping that either he stays for next season, or if they are resigned to losing him than they can cash in and get enough money out of him to buy 2 quality replacements.

Good points V99. Though I think the Kaladze hype in the press was inflated by the knowledge that Crespo wanted to make the switch and there would be a good chance that Chelski would try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Though I think that Chelski got smart, used the situation to their advantage and indeed
got their primary target for a pretty decent price (for a change).

Maybe they're doing it with Essien as well, though I think that perhaps Mourinho was genuinely interested in bringing him to London, though isn't willing to play to Lyon's hand. Not sure exactly what the F is going on with Gerrard and 'Pool though...

Anyone read Mourinho's comments about signings over the next couple years?

One day we won't buy

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Lyon might regret turning down such large bids if they don't get the mega-payday from Chelsea that they are aiming for. With Houllier in charge Essien's performances might just start to dip and Lyon could suddenly find that nobody is interested.

brianfrance

Established Member
Lyon have already bought a DCM (pedretti) and have made a bid for Toulalan, another DCM. They'll sell essien IMO

_scorpion_

Established Member
Canuck said:
Anyone read Mourinho's comments about signings over the next couple years?

One day we won't buy

Yeah Iread it Canuck ....and nearly lost my breakfast through my nose with laughter!

What is he crapping on about? Do you really think Morono could do what Arsène has done with transfers on a shoe string budget? Nope.

Chelsea is all about money - Thats All.

Lyon can do what they like with Essien but my fear is that these stupid stupid prices being touted just end up inflating the market and sending clubs broke.

No need for it if the club has no intention to sell...

I agree with your comments and the comments of V99 that Chelsea's main target is Gerrard but due to the fact that Liverpool won the CL, Gerrard wont move to another english club, but rather to spain if he moves at all.

visitor99

In my last post I was speculating about the possibility that Chelsea might still be interested in Gerrard.

Since I made that post things have changed a bit. Those reports of Chelsea's bid for Gerrard are definately true. The figure I heard was 30 million rather than the 32 reported - but the bid is real.

Whether they seriously expect to sign him is another thing. I don't know. But it just looks to me more like a way of pressuring Lyon: Lyon come out and demand silly money, so Chelsea respond with a very substantial bid (with a very small chance of success) for Gerrard.

ol

Jean-Michel Aulas has said not even to make enquary on Essien as he is definitely staying with us for the coming season. I understand what many of you said here on rejecting such a huge amount of money on Essien. I personally don't think he will retire with us, however, the next season is a serious challange for everybody at the club, aming for the unprecedented fifth title in a row as well as doing well in Europe. I for one believe in JMA, who knows Essien will be even more expensive if we achive it.

8)

brianfrance

Established Member
should change your avatar mate :wink:
bade loss for you yesterday, and it seems Carew was really poor :roll:

Latest posts

Top Bottom