• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Ligue 1 is still a decent level to amass that experience - with a huge chunk of that being the leader of his team.

i don't think his experience is necessarily the biggest issue. For his age he has great experience, he also seems like an influential character in the dressing room at Nice. I think the issue is that he hasn't necessarily kicked on since he first broke through and he still makes mistakes.

If you want to play a back 3 long-term then he starts to make more sense. But if you want to move to a back 4 then I wouldn't say he's good enough yet to do that for us, he should go to Germany and improve more over there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
i don't think his experience is necessarily the biggest issue. For his age he has great experience, he also seems like an influential character in the dressing room at Nice. I think the issue is that he hasn't necessarily kicked on since he first broke through and he still makes mistakes.

If you want to play a back 3 long-term then he starts to make more sense. But if you want to move to a back 4 then I wouldn't say he's good enough yet to do that for us, he should go to Germany and improve more over there.
Yeah for me that's the bigger issue, is that it's a gamble - somewhat similar to Leno in that his momentum has slowed after a good breakthrough. That's why I think he'd be a pretty decent pick-up, an educated punt. Experience is the least important issue with Sarr IMO. It's more that we're expecting him to still reach his full potential, and he might not.

We're so full up of CBs that bringing in more than one this Summer looks like a mission. Otherwise, I'd consider Sarr+another. Ideally I'd get rid of around 4 of our CBs.

Gunner-Union

Prob better than all our current cb not that that means much and I base this without seeing him play but how many cb Worse than ours can there be

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

A 21 year old CB/LB with more than 100 games in Ligue 1. Capped for France at every youth level from U16 to U21, and have captained the U18’s. Praised for his leadership abilities by Paddy. Excellent passer and crosser.

Available on a free... If getting him is not outsmarting the market I don’t know what is. I mean, if we have too many CB’s to sign him then just release Sokratis ffs. Sarr’s resale value if he doesn’t work out will still be worth it.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You are not taking into account the sign-on fees and his wages or how much it will cost to release Sokratis from his contract.
For a club on a very limited budget we have to take these things into account.
He has been praised for his leadership and also criticized for the mistakes he makes during games.

Rather than adding another backup CB (we already have 8 at the club) how about trying to secure a long term target.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

You are not taking into account the sign-on fees and his wages or how much it will cost to release Sokratis from his contract.
He has been praised for his leadership and also criticized for the mistakes he makes during games.

Rather than adding another backup CB (we already have 8 at the club) how about trying to secure a long term target.
You’re right about Sarr’s wages. I don’t account for them. I don’t get why anyone ever would take wages into account when looking at transfer fee’s. But he’s coming off his first pro contract. He’s hardly on more than 20-25k, if even that. He would, however, surely command a sign-on fee. Again, given his age and the fact it’s his first contract it wouldn’t be huge.

When it comes to the cost of releasing Sokratis, it’d probably be around 5m. We’re going to pay him that anyway and by all accounts Sokratis isn’t really in Arteta’s plans. In the end, releasing Sokratis would obv be last resort. You can try selling or loaning him (or others) first. But my point is that the fact we have a lot of CB’s shouldn’t stand in the way of making a good deal.

Because I’m also taking into account that Sarr could be a long term option, that he also covers LB letting us sell Kola (if we can), that he will have a resale value that will almost certainly be bigger than the cost of getting him. And, lastly, that we have coaching team that have greatly cut the number of mistakes from our current, very error prone, crop of defenders.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
You’re right about Sarr’s wages. I don’t account for them. I don’t get why anyone ever would take wages into account when looking at transfer fee’s. But he’s coming off his first pro contract. He’s hardly on more than 20-25k, if even that. He would, however, surely command a sign-on fee. Again, given his age and the fact it’s his first contract it wouldn’t be huge.

When it comes to the cost of releasing Sokratis, it’d probably be around 5m. We’re going to pay him that anyway and by all accounts Sokratis isn’t really in Arteta’s plans. In the end, releasing Sokratis would obv be last resort. You can try selling or loaning him (or others) first. But my point is that the fact we have a lot of CB’s shouldn’t stand in the way of making a good deal.

Because I’m also taking into account that Sarr could be a long term option, that he also covers LB letting us sell Kola (if we can), that he will have a resale value that will almost certainly be bigger than the cost of getting him. And, lastly, that we have coaching team that have greatly cut the number of mistakes from our current, very error prone, crop of defenders.
Problem is, who is gonna pay for Kola? He is in 100K. We pay so much for squad player that later we can't even sell them.

Ideally we sell Mustafi, Chambers, Papa, Kola. Realistically who is gonna buy them? We are a mess buying and selling and now we don't even have the money to restructure the team.

Next year I would keep Saliba, Holding, Luiz. Even Mustafi if we cannot sell him, at least he can gain aerial duels. But God how I hate his madness moments.

Anyway, I would get sarr in 40K-50K ... Thiago Silva if he comes for not so much money in a 2 year deal max. And get a proper CB using Douzy if necessary.

Saliba, Thiago Silva, Sarr, Holding, Luiz AND and excellent CB. It would be better of what we have now.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
A 21 year old CB/LB with more than 100 games in Ligue 1. Capped for France at every youth level from U16 to U21, and have captained the U18’s. Praised for his leadership abilities by Paddy. Excellent passer and crosser.

Available on a free... If getting him is not outsmarting the market I don’t know what is. I mean, if we have too many CB’s to sign him then just release Sokratis ffs. Sarr’s resale value if he doesn’t work out will still be worth it.
You have to remember the Kolasinac situation, or even the Ramsey situation at Juventus. When you sign a player on a free, and you therefore pay them high wages, they are hard to shift on.

I don't think we will be able to offload Kolasinac because of this, he will end up leaving on a free. So what if Sarr comes and doesnt work out here? He will end up taking 100k a week or whatever he would earn (Kolasinac is on 140) and will end up being a waste of money as he would continue to collect it for the remainder of his contract.

'Free players' are a myth in the modern game, its a big misconception in my opinion. Due to the bosman ruling, agents, and the general money in football; it is geared so that with every passing year on a player's contract, the more they can potentially earn on their next deal.

Juve essentially paid a £40m transfer for fee for Ramsey, it is reflected in his massive wages.

Burt Gold

Problem is, who is gonna pay for Kola? He is in 100K. We pay so much for squad player that later we can't even sell them.

Ideally we sell Mustafi, Chambers, Papa, Kola. Realistically who is gonna buy them? We are a mess buying and selling and now we don't even have the money to restructure the team.

Next year I would keep Saliba, Holding, Luiz. Even Mustafi if we cannot sell him, at least he can gain aerial duels. But God how I hate his madness moments.

Anyway, I would get sarr in 40K-50K ... Thiago Silva if he comes for not so much money in a 2 year deal max. And get a proper CB using Douzy if necessary.

Saliba, Thiago Silva, Sarr, Holding, Luiz AND and excellent CB. It would be better of what we have now.
We just signed Pablo Mari and Chambers is injured so won't be transferred. There just isn't enough time to do what you are proposing. I think the goal to should be to get rid of Mustafi, Sokratis, Kolasinac and try and bring in a top class CB who can anchor the defence for years to come. Then you have Luiz, Holding, Chambers, Mari, Saliba and 1 more. Thiago Silva and Sarr are decent options on a flyer but we just have too many players in that category and we need to shed the deadwood not sign more, despite them being somewhat decent opportunities they just don't fit Arsenal in this moment.

Tom349

You have to remember the Kolasinac situation, or even the Ramsey situation at Juventus. When you sign a player on a free, and you therefore pay them high wages, they are hard to shift on.

I don't think we will be able to offload Kolasinac because of this, he will end up leaving on a free. So what if Sarr comes and doesnt work out here? He will end up taking 100k a week or whatever he would earn (Kolasinac is on 140) and will end up being a waste of money as he would continue to collect it for the remainder of his contract.

'Free players' are a myth in the modern game, its a big misconception in my opinion. Due to the bosman ruling, agents, and the general money in football; it is geared so that with every passing year on a player's contract, the more they can potentially earn on their next deal.

Juve essentially paid a £40m transfer for fee for Ramsey, it is reflected in his massive wages.

This is somewhat true but wages are often performances based and can take into account what the player earns through individual sponsorship. There is no way Ramsey would have earn't 400k a week this season at Juventus given the number of minutes/games he has played.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Ramsey doesn't earn 400k a week. I've forgotten what it is but it's something much more reasonable. He's on a good wage, but somehow everyone thinks he's on 400k a week when he clearly isn't.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Is Sokratis not meant to be going back to Germany? just take a minimal fee and give him a chance to earn a sign on and extended contract. I cannot imagine he is on massive wages.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Is Sokratis not meant to be going back to Germany? just take a minimal fee and give him a chance to earn a sign on and extended contract. I cannot imagine he is on massive wages.
90K a week accoring to a list that was posted here. So the likes of Frankfurt, Wolfsburg and the likes can`t go near that, hopefully Sokratis will be true to his word of seeking regular football.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
90K a week accoring to a list that was posted here. So the likes of Frankfurt, Wolfsburg and the likes can`t go near that, hopefully Sokratis will be true to his word of seeking regular football.

Why can't players just take a slight wage cut? I'm always hearing stuff like "he's on 100k so he can't move cos no one will pay that" etc. It seems strange to me that people expect footballers' wages to only ever go up during their career and then maintain that level. Why can't they go down if the player is older and less valuable?

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Why can't players just take a slight wage cut? I'm always hearing stuff like "he's on 100k so he can't move cos no one will pay that" etc. It seems strange to me that people expect footballers' wages to only ever go up during their career and then maintain that level. Why can't they go down if the player is older and less valuable?
Alot of players value money very highly.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

it's the contract they were given and they are entitled to keep it. On the other hand a footballer at the top level accumulates so much money its viewed as nothing short of greed that theyd rather collect their wage than play football.

I read this article a few months ago and thought it was great. I've a few guesses as to who it is https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-player-wage-cut-matt-hancock

An older English player who has had a decent enough career.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

It's not a slight wage cut though. If your on 90k a week at Arsenal and move to a mid table team in Germany your looking at about 30k a week. That's over 3m less over the course of a year. Hardly slight.

pikey2000

On the selling players on high wages, club needs to be a little more ruthless and pay the price for past mistakes i.e someone doesn't want to pay Kola 140k, fine, we need to subsidise the move and pay a % of his new wage to help the buying club, rather pay 40k toward Kola next contract, get a fee for him and use that fee to pay Sarr's contract/signing on fee.

Even if we paid Sarr 4ok, plus subsidise Kola's new contract at 40k, that's still only 80k going out VS Kola's existing 140k and we get the better player in Sarr (apparently, i have no idea, never seen him)

Letting these ****stains run down their contracts, getting nothing for them and all the time not being able to bring in replacements is really starting to get on my tits, get them gone, take the hit (within reason) and move on, just make sure whomever your moving onto is not going to get you in the same bloody boat, which from what I'm reading above won't be the same with regards to Sarr's salary

TornadoTed

Established Member
On the selling players on high wages, club needs to be a little more ruthless and pay the price for past mistakes i.e someone doesn't want to pay Kola 140k, fine, we need to subsidise the move and pay a % of his new wage to help the buying club, rather pay 40k toward Kola next contract, get a fee for him and use that fee to pay Sarr's contract/signing on fee.

Even if we paid Sarr 4ok, plus subsidise Kola's new contract at 40k, that's still only 80k going out VS Kola's existing 140k and we get the better player in Sarr (apparently, i have no idea, never seen him)

Letting these ****stains run down their contracts, getting nothing for them and all the time not being able to bring in replacements is really starting to get on my tits, get them gone, take the hit (within reason) and move on, just make sure whomever your moving onto is not going to get you in the same bloody boat, which from what I'm reading above won't be the same with regards to Sarr's salary

I agree, we have so many 'boat anchors' inflating our wage bill and holding us back at the moment, Özil, Kola, Luiz, Mustafi, Laca.

I am concerned we wont make any real progress until next Summer when most of their contracts expire.

The worry is the longer we spend out of the top 4 the more we will have to overpay to persuade players to come to us. Maybe that was what Mikel was hinting at when he said that he didn't want players that needed persuading.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Ramsey doesn't earn 400k a week. I've forgotten what it is but it's something much more reasonable. He's on a good wage, but somehow everyone thinks he's on 400k a week when he clearly isn't.
He’s on 250k a week but gets paid a transfer fee amortised over the course of his contract which makes it 400k if I remember correctly.

Edit: I did the maths, if he’s on a 4 year deal then it’s £31m (150k x 52 x 4)

Top Bottom