• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marcel Sabitzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Is Sabitzer more of a system player? Similar to when the likes of Kagawa and Mkhitaryan were at Dortmund and fitted the style of the manager - they both looked really average outside of BVB.

These recent Bundesliga to PL signings (the likes of Haller, Joelinton, Xhaka, Werner, Havertz etc) have been terrible so far even Jovic has been shocking over in Madrid.

We need to be very cautious. In our current situation we can’t afford to make another huge error like Pepe.

Iceman10

Established Member
I like Sabitzer as a player but the problem with this is that the only way we could convince him to join us over his other options is by giving him a bigger contract than his other suitors. He's going to be 27 in couple of months so that would mean a one more big untransferable contract in our hands. That's a big risk for a player who is no way guaranteed to make an impact at the PL. We have to start signing players who we can bring in with 60-70k/w contracts at first and only when they prove themselves in the PL and at Arsenal, we raise them to the >100k/w class.

What are the arguments for him not guaranteed to make it in the PL? Would have to know the difference between signing him and Partey, both similar ages when it comes to your discussion around contracts.

Granted, I had been watching Partey for quite a while in La Liga whereas I don’t watch Bundesliga much, although I do have access with Fubo and will see if I can watch a few games where he plays. So far I’m just going on what others are saying at A-M, but I’m not seeing specific arguments for where precisely he could come up short technically.

Iceman10

Established Member
Is Sabitzer more of a system player? Similar to when the likes of Kagawa and Mkhitaryan were at Dortmund and fitted the style of the manager - they both looked really average outside of BVB.

These recent Bundesliga to PL signings (the likes of Haller, Joelinton, Xhaka, Werner, Havertz etc) have been terrible so far even Jovic has been shocking over in Madrid.

We need to be very cautious. In our current situation we can’t afford to make another huge error like Pepe.

In terms of being cautious I think this would mainly be a question of what his wages would be. I’m going on others here talking about his contract winding down making this a 30-35m signing, which apart from wages puts him in the ballpark of what could be the cost for pushing the boat out for Buendia. Maybe on this basis although there have been some bad transfers from Bundesliga there have been some Firmino’s also. For 30-35m I’m ok with hedging bets with ESR always available for selection also.

FinnGooner

Established Member
What are the arguments for him not guaranteed to make it in the PL? Would have to know the difference between signing him and Partey, both similar ages when it comes to your discussion around contracts.

Granted, I had been watching Partey for quite a while in La Liga whereas I don’t watch Bundesliga much, although I do have access with Fubo and will see if I can watch a few games where he plays. So far I’m just going on what others are saying at A-M, but I’m not seeing specific arguments for where precisely he could come up short technically.

Well, nobody is guaranteed to make it in the PL. Even players who have excelled in the PL in one team aren’t always guaranteed to replicate their form in another (prime example Fernando Torres). The track record of dominant Bundesliga players in the PL isn’t exactly spotless.

And as for Partey, I agree that he is of similar profile. But that’s kind of my point. We already have our fair share of 26+ players on high wages on our books. Partey is one of them. But just because we already have them doesn’t mean we should get more. Our wage bill is bloated already. And Sabitzer is definitely the profile of a player who is seeking his last big contract. We need to start bringing in players who are looking at their first big contract in stead.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
Well, nobody is guaranteed to make it in the PL. Even players who have excelled in the PL in one team aren’t always guaranteed to replicate their form in another (prime example Fernando Torres). The track record of dominant Bundesliga players in the PL isn’t exactly spotless.

And as for Partey, I agree that he is of sililar profile. But that’s kind of my point. We already have our fair share of 26+ players on high wages on our books. Partey is one of them. But just because we already have them doesn’t mean we should get more. Our wage bill is bloated already. And Sabitzer is definitely the profile of a player who is seeking his last big contract. We need to start bringing in players who are looking at their first big contract in stead.

Looking at this table (see link, please correct if it is wrong), the bigger wages are with Özil (31), PEA (31), Partey (26), Willian (31), Laca (28), Bellerin (24), Luiz (32), Kola (26), then Leno, while Xhaka is not on too much yet, same wages as Pepe.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/arsenal-fc/payroll/

Özil, Luiz, and Kola are shortly going to be out. I think with a club like ours hoping to get back into CL I’m not too bad with someone coming in around the Laca/Partey level. There is asset value and wages, but there are also potential payoffs with CL qualification. Once Özil, Luiz, and Kola are out we’re not too bad apart from Willian and some of our fringe players getting too much, like Runnarson, and Cedric in my opinion. In terms of lessons learned, maybe we do have to consider moves such as aged Chelsea players and players from clubs such as Real Madrid a risk, but one would hope Sabitzer would see a step up to the PL and Arsenal to feed some footballing ambition.

I would agree we don’t want too many of these signings, but at the same time I don’t see it as too troublesome to accommodate Sabitzer.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Doesn't he play RWB for Leipzig? I think he'd be quite an upgrade on Bellerin but not sure how he'd do in a defensive sense as a standard full-back. But he'd play the way Arteta wants a full-back to play in possession capable of basically being an extra midfielder while also capable of playing outside as well and making overlapping runs. Just a thought of how he could be used. As a midfielder, well we've already got Partey as an 8 so I don't see how he'd fit alongside him.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

You're on to something. Thing is in the Bundesliga the players are highly protected by the officials where physical contact in 1v1 situations is rare. On top of the that, most of the clubs play nearly the same way with high intensity pressing and don't focus on defending well. Its extremely open and continuously transitioning so the numbers sometimes don't tell the whole story.

REWB

He doesnt pass the eye test, reminds me of midfield version of Werner. KEEP AWAY.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
That said, I think Sabitzer is a pretty good player and should suit us pretty well. I think him and Partey with either a creative player ahead or a holding midfielder behind might provide us a well balanced midfield.

Pyromaniac

Not the most talented, but a real leader and mentality player. Usually plas CM nowadays, but can also play as CAM, RW, RWB. He has a great shot as well and likes to try from distance.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Agree to all you say pretty much, but for Werner and Havertz, I'd say they remain dead certain success stories. One could say not in terms of hitting the ground running, but I have no doubt whatsoever that they will starts tearing it up at some point for sure.

Werner also showed that he's capable of doing the same to PL defender early on.

REWB

Agree to all you say pretty much, but for Werner and Havertz, I'd say they remain dead certain success stories. One could say not in terms of hitting the ground running, but I have no doubt whatsoever that they will starts tearing it up at some point for sure.

Werner also showed that he's capable of doing the same to PL defender early on.

Havertz has a decent chance to be a success under a new manager, has good technique and movement.

Not Werner however, no chance, I would be very surprised. His technique isnt good enough. Finishing isnt good enough. Not tall or powerful enough. Acceleration is fast but not electric like Vardy, not enough aggression also.

Only good thing about him is his clever movement, which was heavily reliant on the system RB leipzig played and isnt enought to be successful in the PL. Also look at RB now...second in the league, doesnt look like they miss him...

Werner has Pepe written all over him. Honestly the youtube eye test is kinda legit, both Werner and Pepe looked extremely suspect on youtube. Problem is most people dont watch the right youtube video's. They make up their opinions on crappy highlights video's instead of play by play videos on a single match where you can see some of the players flaws.

Werner will only do half decent against teams that play a high line.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Doesn't he play RWB for Leipzig? I think he'd be quite an upgrade on Bellerin but not sure how he'd do in a defensive sense as a standard full-back. But he'd play the way Arteta wants a full-back to play in possession capable of basically being an extra midfielder while also capable of playing outside as well and making overlapping runs. Just a thought of how he could be used. As a midfielder, well we've already got Partey as an 8 so I don't see how he'd fit alongside him.

He's not a RWB at all, not sure where you're getting that from. He's a CM, CAM or RW.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's not a RWB at all, not sure where you're getting that from. He's a CM, CAM or RW.

When I watched Leipzig Vs United he seemed glued to the right flank. Doesn't seem like a conventional midfielder, didn't seem all that creative. Not the type I'd want in midfield or as a standard winger.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hes a really good player and in an ideal world, we'd bring him in, but there are far to many major holes in the team to pay the money Leipzig will want for him. We need to commit the whole budget towards the best possible AM and CF, and most probably a wide player as well.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This is so true. On the whole Bundesliga defenders are slow as ****, makes it easy pickings especially for attackers. What I would say though is Sabitzer has put in quality performances in the CL, so I'd back him to be a success in the PL.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The issue isn’t system players. Most players are system players.

It’s about the manager actually having a system that works. Once you have that it’s easier to sign players because you know they have the tools to succeed in your system.

Klopp wasn’t that keen on Salah but their scouts convinced him that Salah had the attributes to slot into the right of his 433.

I think the only players that improve an Arteta team are genuine world class players. That just seems to be what he needs at every position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom