• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Matteo Guendouzi (Out)

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Arteta has shown in the last few games how important it is for everyone to be together and play as a team. He's right to freeze out the likes of Douzi & Özil, I know the latter apparently has an injury but his attitude is clearly not what Arteta wants, same with Douzi. One we can get shot of, the other we just have to pretend he doesn't exist for another year.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Hes still very young, if he apologises and learns from his mistake then I'm sure Arteta would want to keep a player of his quality around.
Possibly, but not in the squad for 3 games in an important run in. I doubt it!

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Not sure apologizing is the best option as it gives weight to all these leaks & comments by pundits... Just let it play out & perform if asked.

The kid cant really lose with the clubs being linked & just 23 months on deal. He has the power on short deal so in line for a wage bump be it here or elsewhere. :lol:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not sure apologizing is the best option as it gives weight to all these leaks & comments by pundits... Just let it play out & perform if asked.

The kid cant really lose with the clubs being linked & just 23 months on deal. He has the power on short deal so in line for a wage bump be it here or elsewhere. :lol:

He has no power in this situation. He currently has the reputation of a petulant child. Evident on the pitch and believable it has happened behind closed doors. We are doing fine without him, so therefore we don't need him. He needs us. He has several options.

1) sign thr extension, get your head down, apologise and work to improve.
2) don't apologise and refuse to leave. Basically banished to the reserves.
3) leave.

I personally think he is being badly advised. He has been tapped up.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He has no power in this situation. He currently has the reputation of a petulant child. Evident on the pitch and believable it has happened behind closed doors. We are doing fine without him, so therefore we don't need him. He needs us. He has several options.

1) sign thr extension, get your head down, apologise and work to improve.
2) don't apologise and refuse to leave. Basically banished to the reserves.
3) leave.

I personally think he is being badly advised. He has been tapped up.

Why does he need us? Raul has spoken about not allowing players down to 12 months so this is the renew or sell summer.

The kid is inline for more money & an expected move to CL club or a fresh deal here. He will get the option he wants.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why does he need us? Raul has spoken about not allowing players down to 12 months so this is the renew or sell summer.

The kid is inline for more money & an expected move to CL club or a fresh deal here. He will get the option he wants.

He needs us because he needs to play. He has 2 years left on his deal. If he doesn't play for 2 years, you think a Champions League club will want him? There will be a new flavour of the month. There always is.

He can stay and work or leave. He can't try and pick up a paycheck and bide his time.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think if he doesnt apologize and show Arteta before the end of the season that Arteta can count him, hes done.
He only has a few games to make this right

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He needs us because he needs to play. He has 2 years left on his deal. If he doesn't play for 2 years, you think a Champions League club will want him? There will be a new flavour of the month. There always is.

He can stay and work or leave. He can't try and pick up a paycheck and bide his time.
I dont believe that will be an option for us. He is one of our most sellable assets & makes no sense to sit him out for two years.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I dont believe that will be an option for us. He is one of our most sellable assets & makes no sense to sit him out for two years.

This is how you change the culture of a club. Yes he is a saleable asset currently. If he refuses to sign, and doesn't want to be sold, why do we waste our time developing for him to leave on a free. We paid peanuts for him.

It's not like Ndombele who was bought for big money, fell out with the manager and can be benched. They have to play him. We don't have to play Guendouzi. It would be different if he was scoring all our goals or creating them. He literally has no bargaining position right now. So refusing the apologise and sort the situation is going to hurt him more than the club.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

You'd hope for his sake he cops himself on and apologises, sadly I think the writing is on the wall. If his attitude doesn't improve he'll end up like all those other talented young players like Taarabt and Ben Arfa who never quite fulfilled their potential (not that either had terrible careers mind but if you end up playing for the likes of QPR or Hull in your mid-20s something has gone seriously wrong). I think if he doesn't change now he'll end up having massive regrets when he's older. I don't think he realises what a privilege it is for him to be in the position he is now or the massive opportunity he has. It'd be such a shame if it all ends badly for him.

That fact that he hasn't apologised at all even after all this time since the Brighton game is just really really bad, I mean it's surely something he should be doing the very next day at least. If he has that attitude then it just indicates to me that he's not someone who can be counted. Like I've said before he's not really improved in his 2 years here, and you wonder if he has the desire to improve as a player. He still acts like a headless chicken without the ball, always fails to track back, loses concentration has poor decision making on the ball. He's simply not improved at all. With every other player you can at least see small improvements, tweaks in their game since Arteta has came here. Guendouzi is still the same player. He's absolutely no different to what he was under Emery. Even worse for him as that we've won 4 games on the bounce without him which will reinforce the belief that we're probably better off without him.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
This is how you change the culture of a club. Yes he is a saleable asset currently. If he refuses to sign, and doesn't want to be sold, why do we waste our time developing for him to leave on a free. We paid peanuts for him.

It's not like Ndombele who was bought for big money, fell out with the manager and can be benched. They have to play him. We don't have to play Guendouzi. It would be different if he was scoring all our goals or creating them. He literally has no bargaining position right now. So refusing the apologise and sort the situation is going to hurt him more than the club.
Why would he not want to be sold? Say what you want about his attitude but he loves to play. He can get more money, maybe move to a bigger club & play for a manager he likes.

Clubs are not going to black ball him as a young talent with high experience. He had no problem with Emery... if a manager / player dont get on just move on.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why would he not want to be sold? Say what you want about his attitude but he loves to play. He can get more money, maybe move to a bigger club & play for a manager he likes.

Clubs are not going to black ball him as a young talent with high experience. He had no problem with Emery... if a manager / player dont get on just move on.

You are saying he has the power with 2 years left on his deal. I am saying he has no power as the club is happy with either choice. He stays and works or he leaves for big money. There is no option where having 23 months left benefits him. The length of your contract is only important when you have one year left as you can ride it out like Özil.

However, Guendouzi can't even do that.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
You are saying he has the power with 2 years left on his deal. I am saying he has no power as the club is happy with either choice. He stays and works or he leaves for big money. There is no option where having 23 months left benefits him. The length of your contract is only important when you have one year left as you can ride it out like Özil.

However, Guendouzi can't even do that.

Raul has spoken about it to the press. If the player has no intention of renewing I believe he will be sold this summer but if open to it inline for a big wage bump... In a position with no downside.

“In general, I do believe that a player’s contract should never go to the last year, as a policy,” said Sanllehi in a wide-ranging interview with the Sunday Telegraph.

“But I don’t think I am inventing the wheel. Anybody could agree on that. Normally, the contracts of the players are for five years. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to do with that player when he is in the third year, at the latest.”

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I don't think he wants to apologize or stay here and the club isn't bothered as they should be. Its not like one incidence of petulance that's the problem but like people have said, if he is uncooperative it makes no sense to continue with him. I don't see the point of continuing and he was one of my favorite players who I thought would do great things.

I think its best if we just move him on in part exchange or get money for him and we won't be losing much even if he goes on to fulfill his potential later on. We clearly need players now and that are on board.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I am sitting quite comfy on this one. I trust Arteta's judgement so if Douzi leaves then it was because Arteta wasnt convinced he was buying into his ways. We will get good money for him and be able to spend it on players who better represent what Arteta wants here.

By the same token, if he stays (and then hopefully renews his deal), then it means he has taken a turn and wants to fight for his place here.

For once I feel like we are in a position of good strength on this. We either sell him for a handsome profit this summer or he renews his deal. Win win for me, depending on what the gaffer wants.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If he doesn't apologise I think it will be partly because he knows clubs are after him, he may have even been tapped up, and partly because he's an arrogant pr1ck! Harmony in the team is the main priority, Arteta is included in that team.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

he has zero power. I'd happily let him play in the reserves for the next 2 years. He cost us £6m? and is on what 40k per week. Hardly life changing amounts to the club. See who wants him if he hasnt kicked a senior ball for 2 years.

If he refuses to get on board the Arteta train the club holds a lot of power.

fwiw I think he apologises and gets on board or he is gone this summer. But it will be on our terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom