• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mellberg blasts Ref.

kajej

'What is interesting is that I remember a few years ago in a match between Leeds and Arsenal a very similar incident occurred when Leeds scored from a quickly taken free- kick when Jeff Winter was the referee - and the manager at the time of the team who benefited was none other than David O'Leary.

Haha I loved this part

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
sure it was.... Kanu was running to get the ball and he was knocked down by Mellberg... it doesnt matter HOW he was knocked down.... even though Kanu ran into HIM, he was still technically going for the ball and since Mellberg was standing in the way of Kanu and the ball, its a penalty.....

it may not be the BEST way to get a penalty, but it worked.. same thing Pires did a few games back when he initiated contact with his foot and got tripped up.....

Mark

Established Member
i'm not sure if it was a penalty but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't pleased we got it. i don't know where the ref was standing but i can understand that from another angle or from a distance it probably looked like a penalty.

Andrew

USArsenal said:
sure it was.... Kanu was running to get the ball and he was knocked down by Mellberg... it doesnt matter HOW he was knocked down.... even though Kanu ran into HIM, he was still technically going for the ball and since Mellberg was standing in the way of Kanu and the ball, its a penalty.....

it may not be the BEST way to get a penalty, but it worked.. same thing Pires did a few games back when he initiated contact with his foot and got tripped up.....

Should have been an in-direct free kick. It was obstruction but not intentional.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom