<

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

1. Simple. Isn’t played for tactical reasons.

8.5%
  2. Simple. Isn’t played because he isn’t good enough

27.9%
  3. Falling out with Arteta for some reason

12.4%
  4. Being frozen out in an effort to get him to leave. Arteta’s hands are tied

31.8%
  5. Because he didn't take a pay-cut

16.3%
  6. Personal reasons

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

His touch is even worse than Xhaka. His saving grace is his speed of thought. I do think he needs more time to get accustomed to the pace of the league.

Our midfield could really do with a cazorla or rosicky calibre of player along side a Gilberto or even song type of player.

2. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

I never rated, so how can they be my words, I don't know.

As for different site ratings, I give as much of toss about them as I did about most opinions that rated Emery highly last season, when I didn't.

3. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Any hope of him adjusting to play as part of a CM pair? He came very deep in the last game.

I ask because although Emery has proved incapable of deploying it correctly I think a back 3 really could work with this squad, probably without Özil but if he could adjust it could prove potent.

With Tierney and Bellerin that's a very capable pair of fullbacks that can attack and provide width. Auba and Pepe can play the diagonals and cause a bit of havoc like Liverpool, bringing much needed movement to our attack with the fullbacks providing the width.

This kind of thing requires strong coaching as it's so fluid and everyone needs to know what they are doing when we do and don't have the ball so no hope with Emery really.

Mark Tobias, krackpot and celestis like this.
  4. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

Never saw Özil’s game as one that could be developed deeper, the man in your avi was more of a controller (so his adaptation was easy really) while Mesut is more of a final ball kind of guy...maybe he could with strong coaching as you say, but I don’t see it personally.

5. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Of course there is , he has come deep in many games including for Germany .

6. Oh_Snap

Oh_Snap Well-Known Member

Yeah i stated this a lot. Would be a waste but i always wondered ... what can Xhaka do in this Position that Mesut can't?

progman07 likes this.
  7. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

Didn't Özil play a bit deeper during his run of form leading up to signing his contract. The assists dried up but was probably his best run of form for the club.

8. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

Özil's very close to being finished I think the best use of him while he's still here is playing his traditional role against selected opposition. He should be racking up assists at home against teams we should be blowing away. I actually thought this was Emery's plan for him coming off of last season but look how that turned out.

9. Divided_Pie

Divided_Pie Well-Known Member

Özil in a free role, where he can get a feel for where the space is and where he fits in to facilitate ball movement, I think works best. With freedom he can drop deep when he sees the CM pair needs a bit of help, or when the defense is playing them a certain way that opens up different spaces and avenues for progression. I don't think he would work well as a designated CM because if he did the reverse (vacating deeper space to move forward) it would leave gaps defensively. I think #10 in a 4231 suits him the best, and in certain situations he can play at CM later in games to help with possession or to allow more attacking players to come on.

EmeryCouldnt and Riou like this.
  10. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

In my opinion if we brought in a tactically astute manager they would be able to make our midfield quite good. We may be a bit lightweight defensively there but we have plenty of creativity that Emery isn't unlocking very well to say the least.

Emery has struggled with our midfield since December/January. When we went on that dodgy unbeaten run at the beginning of his reign that was the only time the midfield didnt look too bad... Torreira and Xhaka were actually quite solid.

Since then though its been absolute car crash.

11. Pepes blue pill

Pepes blue pill Well-Known Member

Best player today, sadly laca and auba were beyond shocking

krackpot and Mark Tobias like this.
  12. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Makes us easier to watch. Wtf was he doing being left out

krackpot and Pepes blue pill like this.
  13. Gooner_girl14

Gooner_girl14 Well-Known Member

He has been pretty good the limited times we’ve seen him so far this season and we’re clearly better with him. Makes me wonder if Emery’s ostracism of him had become personal more than anything else. Was good again today and probably our best player, but we really need to sort that midfield out.

krackpot, celestis and Mark Tobias like this.
  14. Gooner_girl14

Gooner_girl14 Well-Known Member

He had a poor run of form last season and many blamed him for being a defensive liability, often being touted as lazy. Problem is we’re no better defensively without him anyway and we’re clearly worse going forward. Emery leaving him out so much just looks like more incompetence from him.

celestis likes this.
  15. elemoo

elemoo Well-Known Member

Easily out best player today with prob 6-7/10 performance. Had we had our attacking trio on at the same time AND performing, I suspect we have at least got a draw.

Also agree with the notion that he makes Arsenal more pleasing to watch.

krackpot likes this.
  16. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Good first half, anonymous 2nd..

17. Highbury

Highbury Active Member

Keep making excuses for this coward. Never change, Arsenal fans.

a pu$$y of a footballer.

18. Divided_Pie

Divided_Pie Well-Known Member

Thought he was very good in the 2nd half until the goals came in. Team fell apart after that.

19. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

What is the criticism then from today's game

20. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

I think he did well all attacks coming from him expected more but for player that been left out for a while that was expected

krackpot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.