• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
It's quite simple actually, not sure why people don't see it.

Let me start with this: I think Özil has been underwhelming too. At least after his latest contract.

But. And this is what matters now: we have no one to do what he offers in midfield. He's not De Bruyne, but we can't stick Willock there either. Nor Xhaka, Ceballos, Lacazette or anyone. Maybe ESR if Ljungberg thinks he's ready. Though I doubt that.

We'd have to get a replacement. Until then you play him because he's the only one who can receive a ball between the lines and might do something with it without looking like he should play at Stoke City.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Can't mess with that chinese money. 'classenal'
Özil is spot on. Seems the whole world, not just the Muslim world, has forgotten or chosen to ignore what’s happening to the Uighur people.

Arsenal obviously have to protect their own interests, otherwise there is no end to such stuff.

Credit to Özil, again. Sure he’ll get stick for this like he gets stick for everything else.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
It’s obvious as **** why they did it, but I can’t even begin to say how disappointed and disgusted I am by this club atm..
It’s obvious because it’s it’s the right and proper thing to do.

Nobody seriously expects the club to bother giving their tuppence worth on the plight of the Uighurs, do they? :lol:

Özil... well, what can you say? Consistency never was his bag, was it?

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Özil is spot on. Seems the whole world, not just the Muslim world, has forgotten or chosen to ignore what’s happening to the Uighur people.

Arsenal obviously have to protect their own interests, otherwise there is no end to such stuff.

Credit to Özil, again. Sure he’ll get stick for this like he gets stick for everything else.

I could not agree more.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It’s obvious because it’s it’s the right and proper thing to do.

Nobody seriously expects the club to bother giving their tuppence worth on the plight of the Uighurs, do they? :lol:

Özil... well, what can you say? Consistency never was his bag, was it?

It is certainly not "the right and proper thing to do". The "right and proper thing to do" would be to shut the **** up.

If you cannot lend your support to what is obviously a persecuted minority, then at least not make it worse by showcasing your commercial interests to all and sundry.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

But why not? It's one of the things that's ****ing wrong right now, everybody from individuals to especially companies and countries "trying to protect their assets" and brand value, denying their social impact, influence and reach while completely forgetting about humanistic and moral values, and it's wrong on every end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

chessygoal

That might be too much to ask, but I don't think it's too much to ask for them to say nothing. Doing what they did IS a political stance, moreso than just staying the F out of Özil's business.
Exactly. I can't wait for our next 'no to racism' campaign :
There is no room for racism*
*Except if it's state wide racism at a gigantic scale, and in conflict with our commercial interests. In that case, racism is ok.
Bunch of hypocrites : https://www.arsenal.com/news/there-no-room-racism

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There must have been a sneaky agreement between Özil and AFC. Özil gets to post that message, and AFC can protect themselves.

Kudos to both of them.

Chaoz_Enigma

But why not? It's one of the things that's ****ing wrong right now, everybody from individuals to especially companies and countries "trying to protect their assets" and brand value, denying their social impact, influence and reich while completely forgetting about humanistic and moral values, and it's wrong on every end of the spectrum.

Arsenal should just stick to football and its development. I am actually in support that Arsenal distance itself away from any more drama. Not that I am unempathatic to the mentioned problem but AFC should stay away from any comments on politics or religion. Keep football simple. Players can voice out their opinions on things outside football but never should it represent the club. Keep Arsenal neutral!

Fallout

think he'll go into turkish politics when he's done ala shevchenko.

regarding the club's lack of stance on the issue, i'm with eastender on this. a football club has no business telling people how to feel about a political issue, especially one for which the club probably has a superficial understanding at best.

not everyone is qualified to give an opinion on every issue. if a global organization is going to take a stance on something like this, it is only ethical that they invest a lot of time into developing a stance that reflects all sides of the story. something that appears simple to you based on a 5-minute google search may seem very different to someone living through the situation.

that's why it is not hypocritical for a club to promote a general principle of behavior (e.g. say no to racism) while also staying out of a specific situation that may appear to involve said behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom