• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pacstud

Not at all surprised to see Özil’s performance is being massively overrated on here.

He had a decent (if rusty) first half, with a fantastic pass for our second goal, but was anonymous throughout the second as the team struggled to get a single attack going. Was far too slow to second balls as well. We actually looked more likely to score when Nelson replaced him, and Nelson dropped a clanger of a performance.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising Mesut. It was a promising performance that makes me want to see more of him. But let’s not pretend it was anything complete or special. That pass was a great reminder of what he is capable of, but over 90 minutes he can do far, far, better.
He’s the opposite of Mustafi. Mustafi is quite good but with one or two game deciding mistakes. Mesut strolls lazily with one or two elite offensive moments. Neither is tolerable.

say yes

forum master baiter
He’s the opposite of Mustafi. Mustafi is quite good but with one or two game deciding mistakes. Mesut strolls lazily with one or two elite offensive moments. Neither is tolerable.
Main difference between the two is that we know Özil can do more / be an elite footballer.

Mustafi has always been hopeless.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Was good today specially in 1st half need few more starts to see if he back caring

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Not at all surprised to see Özil’s performance is being massively overrated on here.

He had a decent (if rusty) first half, with a fantastic pass for our second goal, but was anonymous throughout the second as the team struggled to get a single attack going. Was far too slow to second balls as well. We actually looked more likely to score when Nelson replaced him, and Nelson dropped a clanger of a performance.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising Mesut. It was a promising performance that makes me want to see more of him. But let’s not pretend it was anything complete or special. That pass was a great reminder of what he is capable of, but over 90 minutes he can do far, far, better.

A good summary of what actually transpired.

Not that great a reception from the away end when he trudged off TBH, but obviously the 2nd half performance was foremost in their thoughts.

When Ceballos was subbed before him the away fans collectively lost their minds.

OSBK

Established Member
I think he had a good game in that he moved the ball all over the pitch really well. He was the only player moving the ball well today. Second half he was gassed out.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He was good today. I'm surprised he lasted that long but he showed a good turn of speed going forward at least. It would be interesting to see how he performs at LWF with Tierney.

Divided_Pie

First game back, he was always going to come off sometime after the 60 min mark

Missing some sharpness (stumbling and falling, through ball to Pepe a tad under hit, etc) but showed his value and the quality he can bring. Finds open spaces to give players an option, controls the ball and progresses it, stays calm and makes good decisions, sees runs and can connect with them

blaze_of_glory

Once he was taken off we suddenly were just hoping players could beat two or three defenders to create spaces to shoot.

blaze_of_glory

A good summary of what actually transpired.

Not that great a reception from the away end when he trudged off TBH, but obviously the 2nd half performance was foremost in their thoughts.

When Ceballos was subbed before him the away fans collectively lost their minds.
Guendouzi should have been the guy off at that point. Ceballos and Özil were doing ok.

Think people are hoping too much from Ceballos though. Lots of nice turns in the midfield, but he's not looked like unlocking anything since our second match.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Nice pass but overall below his lofty standards of years ago. Nobody needs to make excuses for him about being out for as long has he has; he's looked the same with games under his belt. There's still lots of sorting out to do before we even know if he has a future here. At his best, he's undoubtedly needed.

Godwin1

Very well-known
It's a good assessment of Özil's game today and career at Arsenal.

Manberg

Predator
I'm not going to look for positives in a midfielder's performance in a game where our midfield was overrun and non-existent. It was like a 4-0-6 out there.

A £350k a week midfielder at that.

Pepes blue pill

Emery needs to work out a way to have him, ceballos, auba, laca n pepe in the same lineup and get he bellends behind em to keep their positions n pick there moments to get forward

Divided_Pie

Emery needs to work out a way to have him, ceballos, auba, laca n pepe in the same lineup and get he bellends behind em to keep their positions n pick there moments to get forward
Easy... 4-2-3-1 with Ceballos at #8 next to one of Guendouzi, Willock, or Torreira.

Ceballos brings quick and accurate short passing, press-resistance, ball-carrying ability, late runs in to the box, and the occasional cannon shot from outside the box. Have his partner sit deep, and don't bomb both fullbacks forward on every possession. Don't crowd the attacking middle so much with CMs constantly pushing forward and let Özil find the open spaces. Özil can drop down from his #10 spot to help with possession and ball progression when needed.

Iceman10

Established Member
Regarding the performance at Watford, Özil was ok, but barely at a baseline level to be expected from him, esp. when given a free-ish luxury role with no real defensive contribution demanded.

First game in a while, so some benefit of the doubt, but I did see a comment or two saying "good game" when he was subbed. Nope. Ceballos arguably can do most of what Özil does and is far more dynamic. Competition for places.

ASIF

Özil brings calmness to our game.He was running the show in the 1st half and once he and dani was substituted we had no one in mid field who could create fck all or keep hold of the ball for more then 3 second.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Here’s the thing. Let’s say it was OK ish (*) in the first, anonymous in the second. No one gets a pass in that second half anyway.

Let’s say he’ll get back to near-ish his best with a run of games under his belt to clear out the rust.

When - stretching way back into the reign of the holy Wenger, has Mesut Özil managed to put a even a brief run of games together without succumbing to injury/illness? You could make a strong argument that this phenomenon will become even more chronic with his advancing years.

(*) there’s a fine line between “keeping the ball moving” and repeatedly passing it straight back to the player who has just given it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom