• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wasn’t outstanding or anything but showed more than enough to make you question again why the **** he didn’t come on in the NLD.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
(*) there’s a fine line between “keeping the ball moving” and repeatedly passing it straight back to the player who has just given it to you.
*deep sigh* I’m not even picking him out for his performance yesterday because, as you say, it was ok—but he does do that a lot... If I was going to be very kind to him, I’d say he’s playing a game in his head that the others aren’t seeing; probably has an unrealistic amount of confidence in them. He probably sees that nothing return pass as the start of an elaborate sequence of passes.... I’m being too kind, aren’t I? :facepalm:

Pepes blue pill

Easy... 4-2-3-1 with Ceballos at #8 next to one of Guendouzi, Willock, or Torreira.

Ceballos brings quick and accurate short passing, press-resistance, ball-carrying ability, late runs in to the box, and the occasional cannon shot from outside the box. Have his partner sit deep, and don't bomb both fullbacks forward on every possession. Don't crowd the attacking middle so much with CMs constantly pushing forward and let Özil find the open spaces. Özil can drop down from his #10 spot to help with possession and ball progression when needed.

would love to set it, sadly I doubt emery has the balls to do it

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery cannot do that, dont think hes ever had a solid defence, if he plays his best attackers we should crush enough teams to get top 4

It doesn’t work like that unfortunately. Defence and attack are intrinsically linked. If we can’t recover the ball quickly we can’t create as many turnovers and high quality chances, or control the pattern of a game.

That’s why I get frustrated when people only bang on about x player’s ability to find a pass despite being a complete liability in any kind of duel.

Confidence is also a factor. When attackers think a mistake is around the corner, they often rush and over commit.

Everything starts with your defensive basics. There’s no avoiding it. Even for top 4.

Pepes blue pill

It doesn’t work like that unfortunately. Defence and attack are intrinsically linked. If we can’t recover the ball quickly we can’t create as many turnovers and high quality chances, or control the pattern of a game.

That’s why I get frustrated when people only bang on about x player’s ability to find a pass despite being a complete liability in any kind of duel.

Confidence is also a factor. When attackers think a mistake is around the corner, they often rush and over commit.

Everything starts with your defensive basics. There’s no avoiding it. Even for top 4.

??? I agree with all of this...we can play those players and have enough behind them capable of linking it together, these arent **** players, you dont make it to the top level without being v good. What Emery cant do is built a defence, never has and nothing suggests he ever will

Decent article on the athletic called Emery’s Arsenal are defensive without actually being able to defend by michael cox, thats exactly what emery is trying and theres not a chance he will make it work...we have firepower, let the boys play and hope that chelsea and utd manage to be ****ter, that is basically all we can hope for under emery imo

Personally I'd play Ceballos in the Özil role, if he's behind a striker. You get a lot of the same abilities with added personality and determination. Özil never looks like he wants to be on the pitch. I also think the traditional number 10 is rather dead in modern football.

Ceballos doesn't the same abilities as Özil, don't be silly.

Yes he does, he has a good pass on him and good vision. Not quite as good as Özil, sure, but he makes up for it elsewhere. And that's all Özil has, by the way. Doesn't score goals, doesn't fight for the team, doesn't have any leadership qualities. One great pass every 3 games isn't enough to cover for his **** attitude. Özil is a failed experiment. Nothing good has come to us since he's been here. He's the ultimate fanboy/fifa player. In the real world there's a reason nobody wanted him.

blaze_of_glory

Ceballos seems to be much more of a CM. Not only is Özil better than him at CAM, we need Ceballos to be playing at CM in order to get the best out of him.

blaze_of_glory

Yes he does, he has a good pass on him. And that's all Özil has, by the way. Doesn't score goals, doesn't fight for the team, doesn't have any leadership qualities. One great pass every 3 games isn't enough to cover for his **** attitude. Özil is a failed experiment. Nothing good has come to us since he's been here.
Three FA Cups. Only trophies we've seen since 2005.

No coincidence we were able to get two early goals with Özil starting despite playing like garbage.

Three FA Cups. Only trophies we've seen since 2005.

No coincidence we were able to get two early goals with Özil starting despite playing like garbage.

Great, but he's a luxury player. IS the occasional involvement in good moves worth the bad attitude and lack of fight? not for me. The FA cups mean next to nothing to me. It's all about the league - that's where your real progress is measured. We've made none since he's been here. It's not all his fault of course, but he doesn't have the right attitude, along with some others. As I said earlier, his position has become obsolete in modern football, and he is not effective or happy on either wing. We can't have passengers - do you think his meandering, lack of tracking back and shrugging of shoulders would be tolerated at City or Liverpool? Of course it wouldn't.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Great, but he's a luxury player. IS the occasional involvement in good moves worth the bad attitude and lack of fight? not for me. The FA cups mean next to nothing to me. It's all about the league - that's where your real progress is measured. We've made none since he's been here. It's not all his fault of course, but he doesn't have the right attitude, along with some others. As I said earlier, his position has become obsolete in modern football, and he is not effective or happy on either wing. We can't have passengers - do you think his meandering, lack of tracking back and shrugging of shoulders would be tolerated at City or Liverpool? Of course it wouldn't.
Whole team has a lack of fight, do you watch us play? The same yer da arguments all the time, give me a break. Would look at the defensive qualities of about 7 players behind him before I’d look at Özil. At least he can make something happen in attack and doesn’t lose the ball all the time.

Malky

Established Member
For all the hate he gets he's still the most technically gifted player in our squad, man can create chances from nothing. None of the others has the touch, vision or passing ability that Mesut has. Along with Auba, Özil and Ceballos were the only players that looked like making anything happen yesterday and Emery subbed two of them off!

Whole team has a lack of fight, do you watch us play? The same yer da arguments all the time, give me a break. Would look at the defensive qualities of about 7 players behind him before I’d look at Özil. At least he can make something happen in attack and doesn’t lose the ball all the time.

Yes a lot of them do, but he is the posterboy for it, and earning treble or more of most of the others. People talk about our defense, and rightly so, but our attack has been useless as well. It's definitely not all on Özil, but we have had years of him and what has it got us? if you're going to have a player on those wages he better bloody work for it, and be worth it. Nobody can claim with a straight face that Özil is worth 350k a week. Nobody touched him when he was available - why do you think that is?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny

Nobody expects Özil to fly into tackles, do any winning of the ball in general, square up to his opponent in confrontation or even pump his fists and gee up his colleagues. But to me lack of fight in this case is:

(a)Wilting at the merest hint or suggestion of any physical contact/challenge from an opposition player.

(b)The majority of footballers feel like it’s their moral duty to at least attempt to win the ball back when then they are dispossessed. Very few will watch the player who has taken the ball off them saunter away over the horizon with their hand on hips.

If you are making consistent and multiple world class contributions maybe you get a pass for the above behaviours. I’m talking significantly more output than the odd great moment a game or two brilliant games a season....yes we all remember Leicester at home in 2018/19

Personally, I don’t even expect (a) or (b) from him anymore but just trying to explain what winds people up and why his support amongst the Arsenal fanbase is in steady regression.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Your defense lets in 4 goals in 2 games against relegation opponents,

Xhaka doesn't win headers, Torreira doesn't win headers ...nobody in our CM can fcukin win a challenge.

And yet we still have these learned people asking for fight and guts from the only proper AM in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom